Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4,712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While talking to a instructor up at school he asked if I was paying cash or getting financial aid. I told him I was paying cash and he stated , good , there has been a lot of changes to financial aid and a lot of the free loaders are ****ed. :D::thumb: I told him great.:D:

·
Registered
3,000 Posts
Catfish, congratulations on being able to pay for college with cash. Very few people can afford to do that through no fault of their own. Its not a moral or intellectual fault to take out student loans, unfortunately it is just a necessity to a higher education these days. School is a full time job to me, and I dont spend enough time taking care of my family and house as it is. If I worked to pay my way thru school I would have to stay awake 24/7 and give up being a Mom to my kids. If I was younger and had no kids I would give it my best try though.

·
Looks like rain to me.
41,431 Posts
My middle daughter went to Jr. College for her first two years. We were able to pay as we went. Now that she is a Junior and going to State College, the tuition went through the roof. She makes minimum wage and still can't get financial aid. She may wind up with a $25K Student Loan which is like a credit card. Make the minimum payment and take 25 years to pay it off.

When she gets out of school, I doubt there will be a job there when she graduates.

·
Registered
6,689 Posts
My middle daughter went to Jr. College for her first two years. We were able to pay as we went. Now that she is a Junior and going to State College, the tuition went through the roof. She makes minimum wage and still can't get financial aid. She may wind up with a $25K Student Loan which is like a credit card. Make the minimum payment and take 25 years to pay it off.

When she gets out of school, I doubt there will be a job there when she graduates.
When she turns 24 and no longer has to include your finances, she will get alot of aid and cheap loans. That is what happened to both of my kids.

Man, are we happy!

·
Registered
4,712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Catfish, congratulations on being able to pay for college with cash. Very few people can afford to do that through no fault of their own. Its not a moral or intellectual fault to take out student loans, unfortunately it is just a necessity to a higher education these days. School is a full time job to me, and I dont spend enough time taking care of my family and house as it is. If I worked to pay my way thru school I would have to stay awake 24/7 and give up being a Mom to my kids. If I was younger and had no kids I would give it my best try though.
I understand that and am 1000% for any one that's American needs financial aid gets it, that is what its for. Its a community college so don't know how great that is but when you go to class and the teacher seems to be the only one that can speak English it gets frustrating to see every one on financial aid, it a technical class that really only needs numbers and measurements. I scraped up the money for myself to go. One mexican , could not pass the class and asked if he could pay me for the assignments to pass the class, I laughed at him. This school is not in Wyoming , its in Texas. There needed and needs to be changes.

·
Careful of the quiet ones
277 Posts
I understand that and am 1000% for any one that's American needs financial aid gets it, that is what its for. Its a community college so don't know how great that is but when you go to class and the teacher seems to be the only one that can speak English it gets frustrating to see every one on financial aid. I scraped up the money for myself to go. One mexican , could not pass the class and asked if he could pay me for the assignments to pass the class, I laughed at him. This school is not in Wyoming , its in Texas. There needed and needs to be changes.
Kind of sounds like So. Cal. Illegal aliens get instate tuition, and the city colleges have the programs for them to have not only tutors, but bus fare, gas money, free books, child care AND...priority enrollment; because they are minorities, low income and have small children.

So that means unless you are illegal with one or more children. By the time enrollment opens at midnight the classes that are mandatory general ed - are filled up. So instead of the important things like Eng., Math, Bio., etc., you can spend your time in library science or how to use a computer for a few semesters and keep your fingers crossed for the next enrollment date.

But hey, this is California why would you expect anything less?

·
Registered
2,191 Posts
it is when asome of them enroll in pottery classes and do nothing but waste money that they are never going to pay back....
I see. At the university I attend, they don't have pottery classes. What colleges have pottery classes? Would that be a major at a small country college? I'm curious; I've never heard of this before.

·
Anti-Federalist
221 Posts
one must not miss the forest for the trees. basic economics teaches us that when the government subsidizes something, you get more of it. in this case, when the government dishes out basically free money, in any quantity to people who may or may not want or need a college education, it necessarily drives up prices. you have to much money chasing to few of goods. which in turn allows colleges to raise tuitions and pay tenured professors 175K a year or approximately 1200$ an hour for actual time spent teaching.

high college tuition is a result of government involvement. if everyone was forced to pay with cash or by other voluntary non market distorting means, colleges could not have such high prices.

·
Registered
176 Posts
I get grants and have to take out a small amount of student loans.

We have five kids, two in college, and I work full time, so if I did not get financial aid there is no way I could afford to go back to school.

I am going to school to be a teacher and feel that it will all be worth it in the end. :)

·
Registered
4,577 Posts
one must not miss the forest for the trees. basic economics teaches us that when the government subsidizes something, you get more of it. in this case, when the government dishes out basically free money, in any quantity to people who may or may not want or need a college education, it necessarily drives up prices. you have to much money chasing to few of goods. which in turn allows colleges to raise tuitions and pay tenured professors 175K a year or approximately 1200$ an hour for actual time spent teaching.

high college tuition is a result of government involvement. if everyone was forced to pay with cash or by other voluntary non market distorting means, colleges could not have such high prices.
But note that grades 1 through 12 are available to everyone with no question of payment. How come seventh grade math teachers don't make $175k?

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
I am a university student on financial aid because there is no other way I could afford to go plain and simple. I try to get as many grants as I can however the government has been pulling those left and right. By time I am done I will more than likely owe over $50,000 for a piece of paper saying I know mostly what I did before just its official now. I will have degrees in Anthropology, Geology and Biology when done. I take the occasional photography course because it interests me and I actually make money doing photography. Guess I am a freeloader by some peoples definition.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts