Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10,001 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For someone who has been nocturnal for the last decade, you'd have thought I'd have done this sooner, but I lived in town for the first 7 years of that, so I guess it's understandable.

I bought a PVS 14. I tried out binoculars (BNVDs), and tried out PVS14's. The binos felt "easier", but didn't really add any capability for ME. Many people say they have better depth perception, can walk easier, etc. but I personally did not find this to be an issue under my own power. On an ATV or driving, I'd wager that it matters a bit more. That said, the un-aided eye DOES night adapt significantly more than the aided eye, and no, you can't just "look under/around" the NODS with binoculars and see things in your immediate surroundings up close no-matter how far you run them off your face, for that reason. Both eyes are adapted to those TV's in front of them, with binos. The world around the binos is dark, even during decent lume.

Also, money. A set of binoculars with L3 filmless white phos tubes will run you $8500 at the minimum. That is BEFORE the helmet and mount. I simply do not use NODS in ways this would be worth it. Oh, you also need a laser for the rifle. Factor that in, too.

I went with a PVS14 with a Vyper body (because it's what was in stock, the Vyper body is neither here nor there for me). Carson lenses, and an L3 Filmless white phos tube. I have tried out the Elbit thin film tubes, and for me, the L3 was clearly superior. It had much less "noise"/"snow", and rendered images much much cleaner. It was worth the "extra" money. For you nerds, the specs on my specific tube are:

64,200 biolume gain
34.1 SNR
0.1 EBI
0.7 Halo
64 lp/mm (I will not magnify)
Spec sheet shows one blem .003-.006” in the outside of zone 3.

For mounting the optic, I went with a Team Wendy EXFIL LTP, Norotos Hyper INVG, and Norotos dual dovetail adapter.

Regarding the laser, there is really only one choice here, the MAWL C1+ (DA, if you're not a civvie, but really, full power lasers are overrated IMO, and the MAWL C1 uses Vscale illumination tech, and the illumination works better than a full power PEQ, and just a hair less juice than the LA5).

Anyway, I will keep all posted as parts arrive.

*How/why did I decide to pay for all of this? When the stock market collapsed, I smelled opportunity. I put $2825 into the stock market, and as of today have $6000 in that account. I am floating this on the CC for now, as it continues to trend up. When I reach my exit point, I will cash out, and have invested very little "actual money" into this endevour. NODS on the "cheap"!

·
Registered
258 Posts
Looks like a nice set up. This is one area I'm lacking too. I've looked at many different setups but can never decide on what I think will work best. It's such a good chunk of change for a decent rig that I become indecisive by that.

Look forward to the update and sounds like you played this one well, congrats!

·
Registered
5,235 Posts
If you don't mind the question, roughly what were the individual prices on the monocular and the IR laser? Vendor?

Sounds like a great setup. Trust me, you'll have no problem engaging night targets with a PVS-14 vs a set of bino tubes. You'll be able to place the dot/illuminator beam just as easily.

Another thing that's nice about a PVS-14... its compact size. You can actually carry one anywhere, in your cargo pocket, inside of a hydro-bladder pouch, or in a small belt pouch. Even in a coat pocket.

Pretty useful for all the times where you want to see stuff in the dark but don't need to gunfight. Which is most of the time, anyplace not an active combat zone.

Enjoy your new gear.

Reactions: Unobtanium

·
Registered
10,001 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If you don't mind the question, roughly what were the individual prices on the monocular and the IR laser? Vendor?

Sounds like a great setup. Trust me, you'll have no problem engaging night targets with a PVS-14 vs a set of bino tubes. You'll be able to place the dot/illuminator beam just as easily.

Another thing that's nice about a PVS-14... its compact size. You can actually carry one anywhere, in your cargo pocket, inside of a hydro-bladder pouch, or in a small belt pouch. Even in a coat pocket.

Pretty useful for all the times where you want to see stuff in the dark but don't need to gunfight. Which is most of the time, anyplace not an active combat zone.

Enjoy your new gear.
PVS14 from here:
https://www.koshersurplus.com/product-category/nightvision/complete-night-vision-units/

The MAWL? It's $2800 no-matter who you buy it from.

·
Registered
10,001 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

The moon is 37% waxing crescent, and there is no artificial lighting in the area. Cloud cover is 100% with a ceiling of 12,000ft.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts