Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Dirty Mind
3,209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have not experience with higher-end knives so I really did not know what to expect.
The blade is not wobbly and loose feeling like all the sub-$50 knives that are scattered around my house.

I can't really speak intelligently about it since I have no knowledge of knife making but I would buy another. Here are a couple pictures, one is next to some Kershaw I found for comparison:

·
Registered
6,077 Posts
I just got a rat1 from ontario knife store on amazon for $25+ tax. Solid no wobble and very smooth open and close. Seems ground kind of sharp so i worry about edge lasting but haven't used it yet. I like bigger size and suprised its not heavier. Linerlock.

·
Registered
12,324 Posts
I have more than a few sub $50 knives with no wobble.
Guess you just have to get the right sub $50 knife.
Looks like you have a Kershaw OSO Sweet? Mine is very nice, just carried it yesterday.

I have one Emerson designed knife by CRKT, and I REALLY dislike that nifty pocket edge opener trick. I don't know if the knife is just too tight or what, but it rarely works as advertised, and even thumb opening is harder than I think it should be, unless I loosen things until the blade DOES wobble.

Have you tried using that feature?

I just got a rat1 from ontario knife store on amazon for $25+ tax. Solid no wobble and very smooth open and close. Seems ground kind of sharp so i worry about edge lasting but haven't used it yet. I like bigger size and suprised its not heavier. Linerlock.
I bought a pair of RAT 1's in a clamshell from Sam's 2 years back for $35. One straight edge, one half serrated, AUS 8 steel, not the D2.
Ridiculously good knives for the cost, and I agree, light for the size.
I've had no issue with edge retention, but I use a knife as a knife, not a prybar, ax, or cleaver.

·
Registered
6,758 Posts
I have close to a dozen Emerson Knives; they simply work for me. I carried one from the early 90's when Benchmade made Emerson's CQC7 model and later, the Commander model. Love the Wave feature and it's the fastest method to deploy a pocket folder; faster than any auto. Most of my .mil career I carried an Emerson. Solid knives.

That said, they're mediocre when it comes to material. Construction is solid, but not as polished as many knives in that price range. I've always been reluctant with a liner lock for a serious duty folder, but I've never had a failure of an Emerson knife (I didn't do anything stupid with them, but used hard). They are a lot of $$ for a working-knife, but they fill a that particular niche very well.

ROCK6

·
Registered
12,324 Posts
So it’s either my knife, the CRKT execution, or a lack of break in.
Good to know, thanks!

·
Registered
6,758 Posts
So it’s either my knife, the CRKT execution, or a lack of break in.
Good to know, thanks!
I have one of the CRKT versions and they can be pretty tight and a stiff detent. They're not quite as fluid as Emerson, but even still, both require a little finessing to figure it out. It often requires a forceful, deliberate deployment.

ROCK6

·
Premium Member
148 Posts
I got at Rat 1 I've had for years, have not had any problems what so ever.

·
Semper Fi
9,738 Posts
For about a decade my EDC folder has been the same Gerber Ripstop II clipped in my front right side pocket. I removed the thumbstud as it has a hole in the blade that works perfectly;y for opening it. Absent the (redundant) stud there are ZERO sharp edges to snag or irritate your hand when reaching into the pocket. That thing is the definition of "melted".

I like it so much I bought a lifetime supply of spares. Walmart and Big 5 had them on sale for $9.99 a few years ago around Christmas time. I didn't realize how many I had bought until I had occasion to get into that drawer recently. So I just gifted one each to my neighbor and his dad and still have 6 spares.

As to more expensive knives I do own a CRKT " 1* " (sound it out LOL) that I bought in the 29 Palms Exchange for a good price but I hardly carry it.

·
Dirty Mind
3,209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Initially the texture of the grip seemed like a good thing. It is pretty rough. However with the idea of the wave I would think that being able to smoothly pull the knife from your pocket would be ideal. This grip definitely slows down the process.

·
Registered
6,758 Posts
Initially the texture of the grip seemed like a good thing. It is pretty rough. However with the idea of the wave I would think that being able to smoothly pull the knife from your pocket would be ideal. This grip definitely slows down the process.
It does and you can take some fine wet/dry sand paper to the grip to smooth it some. I've found I want to control whether I just want to pull the knife out of my pocket without using the Wave or making a concerted effort to use the Wave on the pocket. Be careful, if you use the Wave all the time, you're going to need to buy new pants.

I really need to get a picture up of my Emersons and some of the collaborations such as Benchmade (Original CQC7), ZT, Spyderco, and Fox knives (the later three with authorized Wave features...). My older Commander had smoother G10 scales, but that's a consideration (sanding) if you want to speed up delivery.

ROCK6

·
Semper Fi
9,738 Posts
It does and you can take some fine wet/dry sand paper to the grip to smooth it some. I've found I want to control whether I just want to pull the knife out of my pocket without using the Wave or making a concerted effort to use the Wave on the pocket. Be careful, if you use the Wave all the time, you're going to need to buy new pants.

I really need to get a picture up of my Emersons and some of the collaborations such as Benchmade (Original CQC7), ZT, Spyderco, and Fox knives (the later three with authorized Wave features...). My older Commander had smoother G10 scales, but that's a consideration (sanding) if you want to speed up delivery.

ROCK6
Not a fan of the "wave' as I don't see the point of damaging your pants to get the blade open half a heartbeat quicker.

·
Semper Fi
9,738 Posts
Just buy better pants:p You don't have to always use the wave, only when you need opened and fast...

ROCK6
Heck if I bought better pants I would be even less interested in tearing them up LOL

While you don't need to use the wave all the time, there is still a lot of practice required to build muscle memory that doesn't do your pants any favors. Absent the muscle memory I would venture it is faster to simply open the knife the regular way after it clears the pocket.

Reactions: ROCK6

·
Registered
6,758 Posts
Heck if I bought better pants I would be even less interested in tearing them up LOL

While you don't need to use the wave all the time, there is still a lot of practice required to build muscle memory that doesn't do your pants any favors. Absent the muscle memory I would venture it is faster to simply open the knife the regular way after it clears the pocket.
It does take some practice. Emerson actually makes a triple-option opener (second from the far right lineup) that has the wave, flipper, and thumb disc. I've just never found a faster knife to deploy single handed than the Emerson. As a young paratrooper auto-knives were all the rage (mostly because you just couldn't get them outside of MIL/LE in most states). The first "waved" Emerson I got was the Commander in the late 90's, and while I don't care for recurve blades on folders, it was hands-down the fastest knife to get out. If speed of deployment is your need, this is it...I prefer a handgun or a fixed blade; however, the big excuse for paratroopers was needing to cut free of your suspension lines or risers to get out of some entablement or getting drug across the DZ. Granted, I've seen some entanglements and a few drug across DZs, but never saw anyone needing to cut themselves to freedom.

I've grown to really appreciate the feature even if it's not always needed. While tacky, a lot of Spyderco owners used a small nub of a plastic zip-tie to create the same effect (Spyderco does have versions of their Endura/Delica models with the wave as well). For most needs, it's more gimmick than necessity, but it's a very functional gimmick!

ROCK6

1 - 15 of 15 Posts