Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Always Loaded
2,316 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I began prepping around 8 years ago. I have accomplished quite a bit. Enough food and water supply to sustain my family of 7 for over a year. Enough guns and ammo to arm my immediate family, and probably my extended family as well. And much more. Also in those 8 years, I've managed to store up over 30 lbs of excess body fat. I haven't ran more than 50 yards in probably 10 years. I eat French fries almost every day. I love to eat bedtime snacks.

I'm not sure if it was "completing" my preps, or the looming storm I feel is closer than ever. It became very clear to me that the one thing missing from my preps was probably more important than anything else. My personal fitness and health.

Could I drag my friend 100 yards if he was injured? Could I carry my 60 lb child for half a mile? I have been at it now for about 2 weeks. Nothing insane. Trying to jog about a mile every day. Doing some very basic weight lifting every other night. Cutting 90% of the fried stuff. Very small or no night snacks. No more soda. Less sugar in coffee.

I made this thread for one reason. To inspire just one guy or girl to get out there and try. Do something, anything. If you get out of breath and feel like crap, than it's doing you good. I took my daughter with me the first week, because I was honestly concerned I might have a heart attack. I probably haven't lost a lb yet, but I truly do feel better physically and mentally.

·
What would Mal do
4,654 Posts
Appreciate your honesty/candor.

as a kid in my school days, it was Track for me, and Bball secondary.
running was something I loved to do.

and that included running hiking trails, the more bolders, etc, the better I liked it.

then, as the years accumulated, so did the lbs...even though I didn't look overweight, that skinny 140lb kid blossomed into a 215lb middle aged guy that didn't put the miles on the sneakers, but still enjoyed some tennis and racketball.

then came a back injury, surgery, the days of hammering the discs and those missing in the L4/L5 area..were over.
biking is still enjoyed, but not to any degree to brag about and it's with hybrids to enjoy country roads, park trails..not doing miles on the road.

64th birthday is staring at me and my Saturday today found me out on one of my trails in my woods working to clear a very very large tree that had fallen across my trail and collateral damage of 3 other smaller trees.

2 hours later, me and the chain saw had both had about enough..still more work to do. But it will sure let you know that what I could do in my 40s, ain't happening in my 60s.

I'll go back at it tomorrow.. it's cooler temps now, and I want to be able to enjoy that section of trail on both my ATV and my pedal bike..and I'm thinking I best spend more time on the pedals than the Honda (grin).

but for tonight... Alieve is my friend .:xeye:

·
Basket of deplorables
2,388 Posts
Great post! No matter how prepared you are if physical fitness and health isn't there you will just have a lot of problems. Obviously it's a game against the sands of time in the hour glass but I have known plenty of old timers that work hard every day. They are conditioned for it. Those guys listen to their body and pace themselves. I think you are going to be ok in the long run just don't give up. I'm very skeptical of those loose weight fast programs. Most people gain that weight right back. You have to change your lifestyle and balance those calories with the energy you burn. The only way to eat an elephant is one bite at a time.

·
Registered
619 Posts
Good for you.

Only time I was not chubby in my life is when I had a fungal infection in my lungs during college and I lost 6 pants sizes in a few months while eating 2 big macs at dinner. So I am used to being chubby. After amost hitting 300, I made a decision at my last doc appointment. I started recording EVERYTHING I eat in an app. I am trying for more exercise, but my first step is caloric intake control. That is my problem area. It is really pointing out things I never would have thought about. Those cashews I love as a snack, while not unhealthy, have way more calories per ounce than I paid attention to. On the plus side, I see that the scrambled egg and 3 pieces of bacon I can have at breakfast is a much smaller number of calories than some of the bowls of cereal I might have. In addition, the app lets you record exercise that offsets calories in your daily limit. The calorie limit is not crazy either, it is aimed at a pound or 2 a week weight loss.

So hopefully this means that I will be less winded just doing normal crap in a few months.

·
Super Gassy Moderator
66,677 Posts
I began prepping around 8 years ago. I have accomplished quite a bit. Enough food and water supply to sustain my family of 7 for over a year. Enough guns and ammo to arm my immediate family, and probably my extended family as well. And much more. Also in those 8 years, I've managed to store up over 30 lbs of excess body fat. I haven't ran more than 50 yards in probably 10 years. I eat French fries almost every day. I love to eat bedtime snacks.

I'm not sure if it was "completing" my preps, or the looming storm I feel is closer than ever. It became very clear to me that the one thing missing from my preps was probably more important than anything else. My personal fitness and health.

Could I drag my friend 100 yards if he was injured? Could I carry my 60 lb child for half a mile? I have been at it now for about 2 weeks. Nothing insane. Trying to jog about a mile every day. Doing some very basic weight lifting every other night. Cutting 90% of the fried stuff. Very small or no night snacks. No more soda. Less sugar in coffee.

I made this thread for one reason. To inspire just one guy or girl to get out there and try. Do something, anything. If you get out of breath and feel like crap, than it's doing you good. I took my daughter with me the first week, because I was honestly concerned I might have a heart attack. I probably haven't lost a lb yet, but I truly do feel better physically and mentally.
I've watched you work on your preps on this site since you joined. You've been focused and smart in your approach. With that kind of dedication, you'll do fine with this too. Hang in there. And it's a good inspiration to the rest of us.

I know there have been a lot of changes on my end in recent years and I've began to let my own fitness slip. So this is a good wakeup call.

·
Registered
874 Posts
In 2016 I was 6'2" and 270lbs. Times were good,too good. I begged my wife for a life change. I got down to 233lbs. She lost quite a bit herself and I financed a tummy tuck for her. SHTF!!! She decided she looked to good not to be out partying. By February 2017 the divorce was finalized. I continued on with my life. Living off my preps and wild game. Exercising daily with walking,bike riding and body exercises. Now I'm remarried and holding steady at 195lbs. Since the Covid19, I haven't been to the gym. My promotions at work have made me lazy. I barely walk 2 miles a day anymore.

This thread is encouraging.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,430 Posts
Nice choice & thanks for the share @hanzy!

For all of us considering similar, as many mention & @4X4 puts it nicely: The only way to eat an elephant is one bite at a time.

EASE yourselves into it. Whatever regimen it may be. Diet, diet & exercise (preferred!) or just exercise. Slow & steady. When your ready kick it up, if you want to. No NEED to, just if you want to.

Start with lower impact stuff. Stationary bike, stationary ski, rower. Whatever you can lay your hands on to get some decent low impact cardio-but start slow. Lite weight curls, use books if that's all that's around. Then move on to heavier stuff.

You don't need special equipment, gear or clothes.

Walk. Walk extra. If your goal is to get back into jogging, do so with extreme care. Same same for any other goals. But start TODAY. Stretch, yoga, calisthenics (low impact etc).

I do push offs while standing at a desk (inclined partial pushups) when I have an extra defined few minutes, several times per shift at work. Handy. I also stretch, lazy lunge etc. No reason not to, & IDGAF what other staff "think" about such. The more intelligent ones have started doing so themselves, or walking & then running stairs on lunches/breaks.

·
Crazy Cat Lady
Plan to Alamo at home.
15,964 Posts
i am logging all my food and doing kettlebells a few times a week, also walking and stationary bike most other days.

I have had to get him up off the floor a few times so I want to be up for it again.

·
Midwest Born
955 Posts
good post. BRIEFLY!!….divorced in 2015...serious illness by child in 2017 which necessitated a job change, it took almost 3 years to get him better, during which time nothing but my children mattered really, nor did the extra 30lbs, higher blood pressure and other lifestyle illnesses that came with it.

The pandemic has given me time at home to focus a bit on me. Extra time at home has meant I can spend more time cooking again, which I enjoy. Also more time for yard work, swimming, biking, tennis, heavy bag etc....I have lost almost 25 of those pounds, feel better and am in better shape. But the bigger thing, for me at least, is getting back in the habit of eating healthy, exercising a bit and taking care of yourself. its not easy, but few things worth doing are.

·
comfortably numb
335 Posts
I like threads like this. They're honest. There's so many threads/posts on these boards that you KNOW the poster is either full of s**t or just LARPing their escapist fantasies.

I'd bet good money that many (if not a slight majority) of members here struggle with this aspect of prepping...which I consider the keystone: what good are all those preps if you don't have the physical stamina to survive?

I myself got a good 20 lbs. to lose in order to consider myself at a healthy weight. I enjoy my full-bodied beer too much. My cardio is so-so. The last time I really ran was when a dog chased me.:D:

I've begun doing bodyweight exercises, mainly because it's free and I don't want to bulk up.

·
Fenced In
3,265 Posts
I appreciate these threads, even if not a particularly fun topic. I can relate to some extent. I was what I suppose would be considered "lanky" growing up, at least into my late 20s. I married a woman who enjoys cooking, and that combined with slowing metabolism and lack of exercise slowly but surely added pounds around my middle. I eventually got motivated enough to start working out a few nights a week, even on holidays while the missus was deployed. But once she got home and we had a couple kids, what little time I'd had for working out was whittled away to nothing.

I'm not heavy, or visibly overweight beyond a little bit of "dad bod" that hasn't proven too much of a burden, but I'm definitely not in shape. Upper body strength is a joke, my knees can't withstand any worthwhile amount of running or jogging, and with two young kids at home, my free time is effectively zero. On the plus side, with the onset of cooler weather, I've started walking on my lunch break and whenever I can during the day. Hiking has become more of a special event than routine activity, but I'm looking to try some light rucking when the opportunity arises. The strength-related exercises bore me to tears, but I have to do something.

·
Registered
43 Posts
OP - great post to motivate all of us - after all ...
If you don't have your health (mental, physical, spiritual)
would you not trade pretty much anything to get it?

I have seen this in the lives of those much older than I am, some are 90 but have health better than me (attitude contributes greatly to thier physical health). Others are a mere 70 and seem to be more frail than the 90 year old.

We blink and we are 40, blink...50, blink...60....etc. I don't think most young people understand this and even less so now as we are sequestering our elders to protect them. We are not benefitting from the knowledge of our elders as much now -- another reason your post is so important during this time (NOTE: I'm not saying you're elder - but you have imparted wisdom).

·
Registered
576 Posts

I made this thread for one reason. To inspire just one guy or girl to get out there and try. Do something, anything. If you get out of breath and feel like crap, than it's doing you good. I took my daughter with me the first week, because I was honestly concerned I might have a heart attack. I probably haven't lost a lb yet, but I truly do feel better physically and mentally.[/QUOTE

It's great you are changing your lifestyle.
As a personal trainer with 20 years of experience is that if I can say something to everyone on this path, for most out of shape and overweight people it should be remembered that if you try to change to an energetic lifestyle, just start with exercise at first.
If you stick with it you will naturally start to be aware of diet changes needed and will make you want to change.
Too many people dive into a new lifestyle and are immediately overwhelmed by all the changes and just give up.
It's more important to take baby steps so it becomes a habit rather than HAVING to do it.
I mean let's be honest, if you are in this category you may not have Navy Seal determination.
In fact only a few do.
If you can start enjoying better sleep and anxiety as the goal with Cardio exercise at first then build on each goal u have a great chance of getting hooked.
Take it easy at first because how long did it take to get where you are now? Don't expect quick results
I'm just saying something is better nothing at first.
2 things. 25 years ago I was 160 lbs overweight so I know.
I have a close friend that's a Cardio thoracic surgeon and he has told be since he started practicing that exercise is way way more beneficial than diet although I won't tell you you will be in great shape if you ignore it.
It's more important in the fight for your healthy life to start with simple walking, bicycling etc. And just try and take it easy on getting down on yourself.
I made it happen in a year back to my normal weight and I wasn't eating that great. I just stopped eating so much! Now my habits are healthy but do not despair.
Just do something and enjoy it.
Go ask any athlete what the hardest part of training is and they will say diet for 90% of them.
Good luck. If you get it up, keep it up....😁

1 - 19 of 19 Posts