Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 12 of 71 Posts

177 Posts
Are you guys too cheap to spend $300 - $400 to put a reverse osmoses filter under your sink? This is a no-brainer. I have

had one filtering my cooking/drinking water and ice for 12 years. We have hog farms within three miles and don’t drink water

that isn’t ro filtered. It will take any radio active particles out.

Pan

177 Posts
CrypticCricket asked how to filter radiation from his drinking water. He didn’t say anything about bugging out. However I’m building a portable ro system. I know it wont fit in a backpack But I’m not walking anywhere.

As far as “focusing the radioactive” material. Just change the prefilters before it gets to “hot”.

Pan

177 Posts
Maybe try to look under remove radiation from water I saw it at 2 or 3

places. There are two concerns with a portable ro. One is It takes I think 3

gallons to make 1. I'll be working with a well so that's not a prblem. I'm sure I

can find use for the waste water.

The second thing is that you have to force water through the system

under pressure. I am going to use a 12v pump into a pressure tank, then into

the ro.

Pan

177 Posts
ROs do about 50 gal a day. That covers your cooking, drinking and ice. Use good cartridge filter bank (2 or 3) for the whole house. If you talk to Bobzilla ask him if eh put me on his ignore list I can't even get on the prospecting group or contact him. thanks

Pan

177 Posts
Some considerations to take into account with RO systems:
They can be sized to output anywhere from 5-25 gallons per day for under counter systems up to hundreds or thousands gpd for whole house systems (which usually require a large storage tank to buffer production with use).

The systems I've sold have been 50 gallons / day. I see no reason for a whole house system. Although a bank of good cartridge filters on the line in would be a good idea.

As others have mentioned your membranes will last longer if the input water is cleaner, have good prefilters or you will quickly foul the membrane..

I'm the one that said that.

RO systems are not terribly efficient; generating 1 gallon of RO water will produce 3-7 gal of waste water. The waste water is a mix of the original incoming water + the contaminants that were rejected by the membrane. If you are filtering out radiation, heavy metals, bacteria, virus, cysts, etc, what will you do with the effluent water? It may be fine for flushing toilets with, but I'm not sure I'd be comfortable irrigating my crops or washing clothes with that type of water. Perhaps have a zeolite system or other type as others are discussing here as a secondary filter system either to filter the effluent before other uses. Or put one of those inline before and use the RO for the final polishing filter.

The toilet is what I had in mind.

thanks Pan

177 Posts
how much energy does a reverse osmosis filter need to do its job???

as i understand it you need to have a pretty high pressure to filter through its semi-permiable membrane (depending on what is in the water)... most household pipes have water pressurized to 10psi, but for a reverse osmosis membrane to work on sea water you have to overcome its natural osmotic pressure which is about 390psi!!!!! this would require a pretty substantial energy drain (not to mention some stronger pipes) to attain the appropriate pressure.
40-60 psi is good. I have never seen household water down to 10 psi unless there was a problem.
Pan

177 Posts
As far as I’m concerned an ro system that you have to force water through is going to be far superior to any homemade filter using sand, charcoal, and such. I said it would remove particles. I did not say it would remove all gases ( for which I suggested boiling after the ro filter if you feel the need).
Bosco can you give me a link to this “Iodine 131 escapes as a gas”?

Pan

177 Posts
Domestic units will deliver 50 gallons a day or more if needed. I’m talking about a system for the average home, not off grid. S solar powered system with a 12v pump and a pressure tank at the inlet of the ro would take care of off grid. The pump would cycle off and on to keep the pressure tank up to 40-60 psi. I’ll check into the I131 gas and post what I find out if boiling after the ro wont do it.

Pan

http://dcoda.amplify.com/2011/04/24/removing-iodine-131-frm-drinking-water/

1 - 12 of 71 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.