Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bought a Just Water ceramic filter system (Monolithic). Is it possible to filter my pool water to make it drinkable? I hope so, that'd be more use than we have got out of it in the last 4 years. I was thinking of trying to make it into some kind of storm shelter but if I can filter and drink the water that would be great!

30,000 gallon in ground pool, if that makes a difference.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Yes, provided that it is not a salt water pool. Personally, I'd let it sit in a open container for 1-2 days to reduce the chlorine level.

Since you have a pool, why not go the next step and make it the water storage source for your whole house? Get a 12V powered RV pump, a 12V battery and some hose. Turn off the main water line that feeds your house and any electric hot water heaters. Tie the pump discharge into an outside faucet. Now the pump will push water through the house plumbing allowing you to shower, flush toilets. Your water filter can be located inside the house.

It's not meant for a "continuously on" system, but it beats carrying water in buckets.

The other downside is that the house water system is now full of "raw water", not purified water. The plumbing will need to be drained and cleaned when the purified main water source comes back online.

·
What would Mal do
4,706 Posts
we have same size pool...was told that pool water can actually be pretty nasty...but we have a good berky..so it would go through that first....

·
Super Moderator and Walking Methane Refinery
67,128 Posts
Only if your filter has a carbon element that removes chemicals. There are some other chemicals in pool water besides chlorine that are harmful to drink. I don't remember what they are, but we had a big thread about that a few months back. I think I'd probably want to let the chlorine evaporate out. No sense having that corrosive stuff in the filter when it can be evaporated out beforehand.

·
Registered
5,601 Posts
Pool water, after filter by your pool filter, would pass all federal regulations for potable water (as long as the Chlorine level is between.5 -5 ppm). Matter of fact, it's probably cleaner the tap water.

See, the water in a pool gets filtered everyday, whereas potable water only gets filtered once, and it's taken from surface water. Much of the water in a pool can be rain water, think distilled. As a pool filter runs it tends to capture smaller particles every day, until it's time for back washing.(especially if you have a DE filter.)

As for the chemicals that get added I've seen worse added to potable water, such as copper sulfate. Unless you like green looking water in your pool you'll never add that stuff. Pools chemicals can be kept to a minimum if you keep it clean and brush it occasionally.

I never add any algaecides, Chlorine can handle algae just fine. The only other thing I add is baking soda. That's better for you then the hydrated lime I add to the water at work.

The worst things in pool water would be cyanuric acid, which there is no federal regulation on for potable water, and calcium chloride, for raising the calcium level in concrete pools. Again, there's no limits of allowable calcium in potable water. It makes the water hard, but many places in this country have much harder water then what's in a pool.

As a side note, I've worked on city pools (license required) and now I'm a licensed plant operator making potable water.

·
Keeping it Simple
1,074 Posts
As a side note, I've worked on city pools (license required) and now I'm a licensed plant operator making potable water.
So running pool water through a filter would work on chemicals? Is a special filter required? Would boiling have any effect?

I was also told one time to put the pool water in a large glass container (Gallon Pickle Jar) and set in sun for a day, would this lower the chemicals? Chemicals being chlorine and shock treatment.

·
Registered
2,688 Posts
I pool water was really harmful you'd have side affects from immersing your entire body in it, swallowing the occasional half-mouthful while swimming.

As others suggested I would let the water sit in an open container (preferably in the sun) for several hours to let most of the chlorine evaporate off, run it through your ceramic filtration system, perfectly fine to drink.

If SHTF I doubt you'll be adding many chemicals to the water anyway, you'll have bigger problems than trying to keep your pool sparkly clear. Chlorine evaporates off pretty fast if you leave the pool uncovered and in the sun. After a few days it'll just be like normal tapwater anyways.

·
Registered
5,601 Posts
The level of chlorine in an operating pool should be no different then what's coming out of the tap Both should have a range of .5 - 5 ppm. Anything outside this range is a danger. I prefer to keep my pool around 1 ppm. That way there's plenty for anything that comes in contact with it. Public pools keep it higher since kids seldom bath before getting in the pool and the load can become high.

Sand or DE filters won't filter out chemicals in solution. That goes for most tap water as well, since most of the water coming out the tap runs through a sand filter too. Best to not draw 'drinking' water off the surface or the bottom. Light stuff like petro chemicals float and heavy metals will sink. Water filtration plants use this same principle, with many stages where solids can separate and it's drawn off below the surface.

What types of chemicals do you think are added to pool water that isn't added to potable water? Not only that but surface water (stream, lakes, creeks, have all sorts of stuff that ends up in them. Think fish and bird poo, runoff from fertilized fields, upstream sewage plants, run off from streets, etc.

The only things I know that can strip chemicals out of the water is reverse osmosis, sub micron filtration and distillation. Of course they strip beneficial elements out of the water too and are electrolyte deficient. Think trace elements like calcium magnesium, copper, iron etc. If these aren't in the water it will take it out of what it comes into contact with, including your internal organs. Taking vitamins might help but they don't readily dissolve all the time.

Reactions: fat larry and xm193

·
Registered
503 Posts
The level of chlorine in an operating pool should be no different then what's coming out of the tap Both should have a range of .5 - 5 ppm. Anything outside this range is a danger. I prefer to keep my pool around 1 ppm. That way there's plenty for anything that comes in contact with it. Public pools keep it higher since kids seldom bath before getting in the pool and the load can become high.

Sand or DE filters won't filter out chemicals in solution. That goes for most tap water as well, since most of the water coming out the tap runs through a sand filter too. Best to not draw 'drinking' water off the surface or the bottom. Light stuff like petro chemicals float and heavy metals will sink. Water filtration plants use this same principle, with many stages where solids can separate and it's drawn off below the surface.

What types of chemicals do you think are added to pool water that isn't added to potable water? Not only that but surface water (stream, lakes, creeks, have all sorts of stuff that ends up in them. Think fish and bird poo, runoff from fertilized fields, upstream sewage plants, run off from streets, etc.

The only things I know that can strip chemicals out of the water is reverse osmosis, sub micron filtration and distillation. Of course they strip beneficial elements out of the water too and are electrolyte deficient. Think trace elements like calcium magnesium, copper, iron etc. If these aren't in the water it will take it out of what it comes into contact with, including your internal organs. Taking vitamins might help but they don't readily dissolve all the time.
I would guess that cyanuric acid dissipates fairly rapidly as I have to add it to my pool probably once a month or I have a hard time keeping my chlorine levels at the 1 to 2 ppm that is recommended..
What about proteins and other bad stuff that we people leave in the pool when we swim kids do have accidents does chlorination and filtration take care of all that?

·
Registered
4,064 Posts
So running pool water through a filter would work on chemicals? Is a special filter required? Would boiling have any effect?

I was also told one time to put the pool water in a large glass container (Gallon Pickle Jar) and set in sun for a day, would this lower the chemicals? Chemicals being chlorine and shock treatment.
Shock IS chlorine..and just a dab or sumthin' else depending on what you use.

·
Registered
4,064 Posts
I would guess that cyanuric acid dissipates fairly rapidly as I have to add it to my pool probably once a month or I have a hard time keeping my chlorine levels at the 1 to 2 ppm that is recommended..
What about proteins and other bad stuff that we people leave in the pool when we swim kids do have accidents does chlorination and filtration take care of all that?
CYA does not dissipate. it either goes up when you use sone shock treatments, use pucks, or add it directly. You lose it due to evaporation and water replacement and backwashing-------and leaks! I have added nothing but liquid clorox for sanitation and muriatic acid for ph control all summer since I first opened it this summer. I only added enuff CYA to bring it back up to 50 from 40. Great site for poolowners is www.troublefreepool.com

Any idea what your true CYA level is? Chlorine maintenance levels and usage is highly related to it.

·
Registered
4,064 Posts
I pool water was really harmful you'd have side affects from immersing your entire body in it, swallowing the occasional half-mouthful while swimming.

As others suggested I would let the water sit in an open container (preferably in the sun) for several hours to let most of the chlorine evaporate off, run it through your ceramic filtration system, perfectly fine to drink.

If SHTF I doubt you'll be adding many chemicals to the water anyway, you'll have bigger problems than trying to keep your pool sparkly clear. Chlorine evaporates off pretty fast if you leave the pool uncovered and in the sun. After a few days it'll just be like normal tapwater anyways.
.....left unattended for a few days it's gonna be a green swamp--not tapwater.

·
67,128 Posts
What effect would cyanuric acid in drinking water have? I don't own a pool and I'm unfamiliar with that chemical.

·
Registered
4,064 Posts
What effect would cyanuric acid in drinking water have? I don't own a pool and I'm unfamiliar with that chemical.
Now that I don't know (yet). But recommended levels of it for pools is anywhere between 30 and say 70ppm. It's purpose is to hold, slowly release, and protect chlorine from burning off too fast.

·
67,128 Posts

·
Banned
1,567 Posts
Wouldnt adding calcium hypochlorite to questionable pool water make is safe to drink? I hope so cause i stocked up big time with this stuff. :confused:

·
Banned
1,567 Posts
I pool water was really harmful you'd have side affects from immersing your entire body in it,
After reading alot of posts and threads about water on this forum, i have come to the conclusion that most people are not aware of this. Ive read i dont know how many posts advising people to use grey water and questionable water for bathing, hygiene, even cooking. This is very dangerous depending on what chemicals are in the water.

Bathing and showering in water that is not safe to drink is very dangerous. Your skin can absorb more water then you think. Thats why transdermal skin patches are so common for administering medications. Its more efficient than taking medecine orally. Through your skin meds and chemicals bypass the liver all together and enter directly into the blood stream.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Pool water as emergency house water supply

Actually, I would think a better way to deal with this is get 2 55 gal drums and mount them on a platform, one above the other. Use the pump to get the water from the pool to the top drum. Then put the filter between the top and bottom drum. That allows the water to be pumped and filtered at a slow rate (requiring less energy), but still allows pressure in the water system in the house. That also makes it less worrisome as to the quality of water coming out of the pool.

And if the filter is decent quality, you don't even have to worry too much about cleaning out your water lines when the water comes back on. ;)

1 - 20 of 24 Posts