Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Hunter/Farmer
1,997 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I remember staying here at the old home place during duck season, and my grandmother always fixed a hearty breakfast for us.
One that I remember was biscuits and canned figs.

I now live here by myself.
I haven't bothered with the figs in years,....I usually leave them for the mockingbirds to feast on, but this year they are absolutely loaded.
I put up a qt yesterday, and picked more today because it was so easy to can.
Per qt of cleaned figs:
1.25 cups of sugar
1.5 cups of water
2 tsps lemon juice

boil water, add sugar and lemon juice
cook figs on medium for 45 mins
shut off heat and let set to cool and absorb the sugar

with slotted spoon, put figs in canning jar
then reboil the sugar liquid till it hangs a bit on the spoon
then pour on the figs and put on lid and band.

Now I just have to wait till duck season and winter to try them with some biscuits.:D

Attachments

·
Kilo Delta
372 Posts
RC, how exactly does a real fig taste?
I'm ashamed to say that my closest encounter with a fig is a Fig Newton.... :(

·
Hunter/Farmer
1,997 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Kyle, I just did a tastes test.
I haven't eaten a raw fig since I was a kid so I needed refresh.
Not bad!,....like they say, tastes like a cross between a strawberry and peach. has the texture of a ripe kiwi.

Anyhoo, here's a pic of the two I sampled.

Attachments

·
Kilo Delta
372 Posts
Sounds and looks good. :D I don't know of anyone out in my neck of the woods that grows 'em but I think I'm gonna hafta look harder. Keep us updated when winter sets in and with how good the canned ones are!

·
Board Supporter
2,049 Posts
Do you guys know that figs are a great remedy for Irritable Bowel Syndrome?
There is something in the fig seed that stimulate the lining of the intestines to push whatever is in there, through. My other half had a son, whose mom had him on every kind of chemical medicine available. When Ron got him for a month, he threw the medicine out, gave him sunkist figs to eat for a day or so, and after that first day in the bathroom, he didn't have any more problems. Works great!
Graywolf

·
Wild Wild... East
3,014 Posts
I have a figs tree at my home. It is samll, i have problem during the winter, but in august- september i can eat some fresh figs. It is one of my favorite fruits. The taste and the feeling is somehow close to kiwi. The great area in Europe for figs is near Mediterana sea (Grece, Italy, Spain, Portugal, Turkey).

Bogdan

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.