Survivalist Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about survivalism? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,845 Posts
The exchange rate in Egypt was 5.69EP/ $1 just prior to their political revolution. That $50/month job is nearly 300EP/month. Granted, thats still not a lot, but when you consider that their economy is based on that its not that bad a wage.

We had Egyptian nationals working on my rig while we were over there. We figured it up one day and found out they were making roughly $.92/hr or $11.00/day or $308/month and they worked 28 days 28 days and 28 days off just like we did. When you consider I was making just under $19.00/hr doing the same job it seems like theyre getting screwed. However, their pay ratio compared to other Egyptians jobs was roughly the same as my pay ratio compared to American jobs.

Obviously, jobs like offshore drilling are in pretty high demand, however, just to work out there, no matter the position, they have to go to college and hold a Petroleum Engineer certificate while here in the states you just have to put in the application and make it through the interview. I cant imagine any other high paying job over there to be any different.
Those people over there are a product of their own making. As long as they continue to keep such policies as that they will never get past where they are. In this case they have to have the money to go to college before getting the job and are still not guaranteed to get the job, hell I dropped out of high school and got it here in the States.

·
Registered
3,839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
$50 for a month's labor--- makes me appreciate what I have much more, and makes me want to save every nickel I can in case that spreads to here too.

I'd be a very rich man if I lived in Egypt.

·
Registered
2,845 Posts
A Nation of no real freedoms is not a good comparison. The State controls everything and females have less real rights. Less religious rights. Big Gov't control = poverty almost always.:eek:
I didnt spend a lot of time IN Egypt, but theyre one of the best of the Arab countries in terms of freedom. Even women have it pretty good over there compared to other Arab countries. Where the women in Egypt are 'oppressed' is in the families that are hardline Muslims. Even then its not as bad as you see in the news.

Many of the women over there dont wear veils or burkas, and though you didnt see much exposed skin, they sure didnt have a problem wearing clothes that left little to the imagination.
Most of the Muslims in Egypt are not the radical type like other countries, most co-exist pretty well with Christians, though they dont think too highly of the Jewish or Israel. We had one guy that worked for us that was Muslim but never prayed, we had another that would pray occasionally (usually when it meant getting out of work), and then we had others that would shut down whatever they were doing to go pray. NONE of them ever shoved it in our face or belittled us Americans for having a different or no faith.

However, Im in no hurry to go back, and I definitely would have no desire to live there.

·
Registered
2,845 Posts
$50 for a month's labor--- makes me appreciate what I have much more, and makes me want to save every nickel I can in case that spreads to here too.

I'd be a very rich man if I lived in Egypt.
LOL Yeah, it felt pretty good to be able to stay in 5 star hotels and eat 300EP dinners. To realize I spent more on one meal than most Egyptians made in a month definitely made me feel like a king.:thumb:

·
Registered
3,839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
In comparison...yesterday I went to a street festival and paid $3.00 for a small ice cream cone. That's almost two days wages in Egypt !!!

I'll be scrimping every nickel from now on.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts