Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Forum Administrator
16,845 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Brown Turkey Fig tree that is sprouting from the roots. Will it bear figs, or is it some type of root stock?

A few weeks ago I dropped by a farm supply store to get some seeds. They had a pitiful looking fig tree that the top had died and it was sprouting from the base of the tree. I felt so sorry for the tree I went back the next day, bought it, then planted it in the chicken yard.

Over the past two weeks to tree has put on maybe 5 - 6 inches of growth.

The big question, is the root stock a fig tree, or something else? I guess I could wait a few months to find out, but wanted to ask before then.

Has anyone had a Brown Turkey Fig come back from the roots? If so, did it bear true to form?

·
Registered
2,780 Posts
Figs can be propagated by cuttings and if that is how your turkey fig was propagated the shoots should bear brown turkey figs.

Google
Fig plants are commonly propagated by cuttings. Dormant cuttings of 2- or 3- year old wood, or basal parts of vigorous first year shoots with a heel of two-year branch at the base, should be used for propagation. Cuttings should be ½ to ¾ inches in diameter and eight to twelve inches long (Morton 1987).

·
Don't fear the Reaper
1,751 Posts
Figs are virtually never grafted onto a root stock. If it is coming up from the roots, it will be the same as the top part that died.

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
Figs are very tough. I found one I planted in the back years ago as a small cutting. It is only a few feet tall, but it is still struggling to grow and getting bigger.

The ones I planted near the house died back to the roots twice during hard winters.

I have propagated a half-dozen figs just from rooting cuttings in moist potting mix.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts