Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
817 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have the formula for making field diesel? I searched on the forum but couldn't find anything. I'm not talking about a biodiesel refiner, rather a combination of ingredients I saw on one of the many pre-2012 survivalist TV shows. The main ingredient was filtered, used vegetable oil but the guy added something containing methanol and maybe drano? I'm sure it isn't the greatest thing for a diesel engine but in a pinch it might be worth trying. Thanks

·
"TURGID FLUX"
5,572 Posts
Seems to require a lot of energy to heat , wash and filter the concoction. Making a small quantity seems to be innefficient.

Can we run our cars from the steam and vapors from the White House?

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,501 Posts
The most field expedient method I know of to make SVO/WVO work in a diesel engine ( preferably an early pre-CP3 high pressure system version) is to mix it with a small quantity of RUG ( regular unleaded gas ). Generally the lower octane and older the better. Depending on the temperature, you can start with as little as 5% RUG. In very cold climates I have read about people experimenting with as much as 30-40%.

The SVO/WVO should be de-watered as much practical and filtered as fine as possible. A bag filter in a 5 gallon bucket works pretty well if you can install a bulkhead fitting or large funnel on the bottom of the bucket. A bag filter could be vacuum bagged and thrown in a truck for a real emergency situation.

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Field diesel? Never heard of that before.

I used to drive an old beater diesel Benz. I poured used motor oil out of one cars engine straight into the fuel tank. Ran fine. Automatic transmission fluid works too.

I don't reccomend it, and it makes the exhaust smell funny, but it will work.

·
Registered
817 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the replies. The recipe this guy used didn't require any heat. He didn't actually put it in a diesel engine so there's no proof it actually works. The regular biodiesel refining methods as some posters have pointed out may not be practical in a SHTF situation.

·
Registered
194 Posts
When you're seeing methanol and Drano, you're looking at "biodiesel" production, or at least an element of it.

I've never heard of "field diesel", that's a new one on me.

However, running vehicles on waste vegetable oil, animal oil, etc is done by many, no need for conversion to "biodiesel". Just find a decent old mechanical injection engine - old 7.3 IDI, M-B OM636, etc. You'll need to run a heating system for the fuel, more than likely, some excellent filtration and a few other things.

·
Registered
4,501 Posts
In regards to the idea of mixing WVO, lye, and methanol for 'field diesel'. That is basically a poor attempt at making biodiesel through transesterfication. Generally you would want to remove the glycerin that reaction produces and would settle to the bottom of the container. Putting that through an engine would be worse than the WVO in the first place because of the addition of the caustic lye

·
Registered
817 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
In regards to the idea of mixing WVO, lye, and methanol for 'field diesel'. That is basically a poor attempt at making biodiesel through transesterfication. Generally you would want to remove the glycerin that reaction produces and would settle to the bottom of the container. Putting that through an engine would be worse than the WVO in the first place because of the addition of the caustic lye
You've jogged my memory. This is exactly what he did. He used Drano for the lye component. He didn't actually put it in a vehicle lol.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts