Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had my Firearms I.D. Card app. REFUSED TO BE ACCEPTED twice due to answering "YES" to the question: "Have you EVER spoken to a Mental Health Care Professional?" Due to a 25 year-old "Depressive Episode." They literally REFUSED TO ACCEPT MY APPLICATION! I was told I MUST submit a letter from the Dr. who treated me stating I am no longer depressed AND that there is NO REASON the State of NJ shouldn't give me a rifle or shotgun! You see, the statute describes this "FID CARD" as required to PURCHASE A FIREARM in NJ, but local PD MANDATES that you cannot travel from your home to the range, or ANYWHERE unless you can present the card ON DEMAND, or you will be charged with a Class 3 Crime (Felony equivalent!) to get such a letter, I was advised to retain an Atty. ($2,500) who will utilize a psychiatrist to produce this letter for another $1,000! I ABSOLUTELY REFUSE TO BE EXTORTED! I contacted 5-6 lawyers in NJ & Pennsylvania, and this is the ONLY Atty,.that responded. Is this or is this not at worst: extortion, or @ the very least: Infringement of my 2nd Amendment Rights?! I have recently written to a Senator for my district, but haven't heard back from him yet. What would YOU do? BTW, I have held CCW Permits for the past 12 years from Ohio (Resident,) and Arizona (non-res currently.) After posting a similar POST previously, this same Atty. replied to my post, admitting that it was "UNFORTUNATE" that such steps are necessary in NJ, but... It is what it is! Nice, huh? He's in agreement that it's "too bad" while he's complicit in lining HIS pockets by benefitting from the extortion practice.

·
statists' be statin'
3,338 Posts
It is illegal and unconstitutional but that's how NJ works right now. Unless you have the money to take the fight all the way through NJ's courts and to the federal courts, you're going to have to play their game.

In fact, even if you made it to the federal court, It would be heard by the 3rd circuit which just sided with NJ in violating the constitution in the Drake case and SCOTUS will refuse to hear it.

Even if you win this round, you'll have to go through the same thing every time you try to get a permit for a handgun. Your best hope is to move to another state. Too bad you're on the coast. The commute to PA will be a long one.

By the way, I haven't been in Brick in probably 20 years. We used to meet friends who live there at Barnacle Bills. Do you know if it's still open?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
There's a barnaclebillsrumsun.com, website for one, but I don't think its in Brick tho. As far as your reply to the extortion issue... it's a hell of an indictment of an entire township's Police Department, that they are admittedly violating the Constutution with complete impunity from the Judiciary, and even practicing Attorneys are not only perpetuating it but using their Treason as a Cash Cow!

·
statists' be statin'
3,338 Posts
But what are the attorney's supposed to do? There are thousands of situations just like yours every year in NJ, they can't take them all pro bono.

I know you're getting screwed but it's not the attorney's job to fix it if we, NJ's 1 million gun owners won't vote the criminals who make these laws out or get involved in some way.

Two years ago they attempted to pass the .50 cal ban, 10 round mag limit, FID info would be attached to drivers license data, and 19 other anti gun laws in one legislative package. About 500 of us showed up in Trenton to testify against it at the Senate committee hearing. That sounds like a lot. But we have 1 million gun owners. .02% cared enough to show up. Free buses were provided for anyone who wanted to come and they couldn't fill a bus.

It's not the attorney's fault - it's our fault.

There has been a year of planning to recall senator Steve Sweeney. There will be an announcement in a few days about this. He's from south jersey's rural hunting district. He has always been very pro gun. He flipped on gun owners and sponsored the 21 anti gun bills. He wants to be governor and needs to be seen as tough on guns. If we can recall him, it shows NJ's other politicians that being anti-gun is dangerous. I'm going to volunteer to go door to door to get signatures. I bet a dozen of us show up. It's our own fault.

·
Registered
300 Posts
I have had my Firearms I.D. Card app. REFUSED TO BE ACCEPTED twice due to answering "YES" to the question: "Have you EVER spoken to a Mental Health Care Professional?"
Alfer, the FID form does not ask if you’ve ever spoken to a mental health professional. In question (24) it asks:
Have you ever been confined or committed to a mental institution or hospital for treatment or observation of a mental or psychiatric condition on a temporary, interim, or permanent basis?

In Question (25) it asks:
Have you ever been attended, treated or observed by any doctor or psychiatrist or at any hospital or mental institution on an inpatient or outpatient basis for any mental or psychiatric condition?

Those are very different from what you wrote. And if you were treated, it makes sense that the society makes sure that you are mentally competent to buy a firearm. What else would you suggest? Performing due diligence on firearm applicants makes sense, even if I agree with you it sometimes sucks.

...the statute describes this "FID CARD" as required to PURCHASE A FIREARM in NJ, but local PD MANDATES that you cannot travel from your home to the range, or ANYWHERE unless you can present the card ON DEMAND, or you will be charged with a Class 3 Crime (Felony equivalent!).
Can you please advise how a police department can mandate such a thing? Can you cite the law, or did they just make that up? Yes, I always carry my FID with me, this rule is a new one for me.

After posting a similar POST previously, this same Atty. replied to my post, admitting that it was "UNFORTUNATE" that such steps are necessary in NJ, but... It is what it is! Nice, huh? He's in agreement that it's "too bad" while he's complicit in lining HIS pockets by benefitting from the extortion practice.
Attorneys make money by helping people. Just exactly what do you want an attorney to do? Provide his/her services for free?

·
Registered
259 Posts
I have never heard anything about having to carry an FID card when transporting a firearm in NJ. You do not need an FID to possess a long gun in NJ. If you move to NJ from out of state and have long guns, you can voluntarily register them, but it is not mandatory. If you move here and have handguns, that is a completely different story and you not only need to get an FID, you need to get a Handgun Permit for each one you bring in the state. I don't know anyone who's had to do that, but the application is the same exact one as if you wanted to buy a handgun. It sucks big time!

You do not need an FID to purchase rifle or shotgun ammo in NJ and anyone who tells you that does not know the law. You only need an FID to purchase handgun ammo. So if you have a rifle that takes handgun calibers, you are SOL without an FID.

The NJ chapter of the NSSF has an email address you can email them your plight. I'm not sure if they can help you on the mental issue, but they might be able to offer you guidance or a better attorney to contact.

I do know someone who answered somewhere on the application that they are being treated for depression. They were not denied, they were just told to bring the application back with the letter from their doctor along with the state's mental health record release form. I don't know if they have gotten their letter or not from their doctor.

Good luck.

·
Registered
818 Posts
If you move here and have handguns, that is a completely different story and you not only need to get an FID, you need to get a Handgun Permit for each one you bring in the state.
Not to Hijack the thread, but that is incorrect. No FID or p2p required for handguns legally obtained outside of NJ.

See question 10 from NJSP website: http://www.njsp.org/about/firearms-faqs.html

·
statists' be statin'
3,338 Posts
I have never heard anything about having to carry an FID card when transporting a firearm in NJ. You do not need an FID to possess a long gun in NJ...

Good luck.
The law says that you can't transport firearms in NJ. Then it lists a few exceptions to that rule. Those exceptions are: between home, range, gun shop, and property or a stationary business that you own. When transporting, it must be cased and unloaded.

However, if you "possess" a FID card, you can transport long guns only, (still cased and unloaded) anywhere. School property, and maybe some other places are still off limits.

So, you don't need a FID card to transport a firearm as long as you're driving somewhere on the "approved list of places". But with an FID you can transport long guns lots of other places.

If you want to read the actual law, I posted it on another thread here: http://www.survivalistboards.com/showthread.php?p=7445308#post7445308

·
statists' be statin'
3,338 Posts
I just can not comprehend all this FID and Handgun Permit BS I hear about from people in states like NJ & IL. Freedom died many years ago. :(
NJ has seen at least 6 new pro gun activist groups form in the last couple of years. Some are focused on the legislature, others are focused on educating the public, some are focused on a recall of a state senator, some are working on bring law suits.

There are several legal challenges in the pipeline.

Social media has really allowed NJ's pro gun minority to get find each other and plan.

Gun rights are expanding nationwide. In the next few years, you'll see changes in NJ.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts