Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Forum Administrator
16,782 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While running a fever, at what point does brain damage occur?

·
28 Days Later
1,647 Posts
I heard it has to be at least 107 degrees for an extended period of time, but I think it would depend on the person as well.

·
Premium Member
2,509 Posts
http://www.med.umich.edu/1libr/pa/pa_feverpho_hhg.htm

Pretty good information, although there are conflicting reports all over by different doctors as to exactly what temperature will cause damage. I would assume that anything over 106 will be an immediate threat to ones long term health. That is just a personal number judged by the fact that it is right below what most doctors see as very dangerous. You got a little one sick or something kev? If it is that high I would suggest a cool water bath for 20-30 minutes, it wont feel real great but it should reduce the internal temp by 2-3 degrees, if it starts to rise right after (5 -10 minutes) the bath a doctor or fever reducer might be a good idea, if the bath keeps it down, monitor overnight, give plenty of fluids to keep the kidneys functioning and monitor fluid output for any signs of hyponatremia or dehydration. Hope this helps :) S/H

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
Fevers turn on the body's immune system. Fevers are one of the body's protective mechanisms. Most fevers are good for children and help the body fight infection.
Use the following definitions to help put your child's level of fever into perspective:
37.8°C to 39°C (100°F to 102°F): Low-grade fever. Beneficial. Try to keep the fever in this range.
39°C to 40°C (102°F to 104°F): Moderate-grade fever. Beneficial
Over 40°C (104°F): High fever. Causes discomfort, but is harmless.
Over 40.6°C (105°F): High fever. Higher risk of bacterial infections.
Over 42°C (108°F): Serious fever. The fever itself can be harmful.
Brain damage from a fever will not occur unless the fever is over 107.6 degrees F (42C) for an extended period of time. Untreated fevers caused by infection will seldom go over 105 degrees unless the child is overdressed, or trapped in a hot place. The brain's thermostat will stop the fever from climbing above 106 degrees F.

Adults over age 60, however, are less likely to mount an immune defense. For them, fever may be more taxing on the heart and thus more risky. With that in mind, contact the doctor immediately for:
Fever above 103° in an adult.
Fever of 101° if you're over age 60.

http://www.drgreene.com/21_349.html
http://www.mothernature.com/Library/Bookshelf/Books/48/83.cfm

·
Scarred for life...
3,295 Posts
I used to work around a chemical that among other things turns off the bodies ability to regulate its temperature.

A guy accidentally ingested a few grams of it. He died of an uncontrollable fever. At death his body temp was 142 degrees.

·
Registered
866 Posts
I am not sure about this. This is a good question . I will have to ask my kid's neurologist next visit. I know my son had brain damage . He would get febral convulsions . This is basically a very fast increase in body temp . This would then come with seizures . Every time he gets any type of fever, we worry . he has been taken anti seizure meds for many years to control the seizures.

I know from him , he has brain damage. His motor skills, learning and behavior have been affected . During grand mall seizures [ severe] sometimes if bad enough the victim can stop breathing . So I guess in his case, it would have been a combo of the two that has affected him .

·
"Dolt"
3,265 Posts
In doc's clinic, when a child hits 106 they get the ice bath. Adults at 107.
If a child has an uncontrolled temp of 102 over 24 hours they need a trip to the doctor and blood work done.

If needed rotate Motrin and Tylenol every 4 hours to reduce fever. Dose according to children’s scale for the kidos. Adults get 800mg Motrin and 1gm Tylenol. Fluids (read WATER) till their eyes float. If the pee aint clear they haven’t had enough.

Never play games with a temp, brain damage is no joke and you or your loved one will not heal from. Brain damage is permanent (read FOREVER).

1 - 7 of 7 Posts