Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Forum Administrator
16,782 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This year I drove several large fertilizer spikes in the ground around some of my fruit trees - fig, pear, plum and apple. Reviews on Amazon are good, but has anyone here used them?

My fruit trees have not been doing that great so I decided to go all out this year. A week ago I sprayed them down with liquid fish fertilizer, and then drove spikes in the ground around them

So has anyone here used the fertilizer spikes you drive in the ground? If so, did you notice a change?

These are the spikes I put down.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000A0YHHM/

·
Banned
10,320 Posts
KrAW!

This year I drove several large fertilizer spikes in the ground around some of my fruit trees - fig, pear, plum and apple. Reviews on Amazon are good, but has anyone here used them?

My fruit trees have not been doing that great so I decided to go all out this year. A week ago I sprayed them down with liquid fish fertilizer, and then drove spikes in the ground around them

So has anyone here used the fertilizer spikes you drive in the ground? If so, did you notice a change?

Only change was the weight of my wallet.............:(

Of course other folks mileage may vary .....:xeye:

edit: Waiting for the OG farmer extraordinaires response...

·
Registered
2,777 Posts

If none of your various fruit trees are doing well take a long look at everything relating to your soil and of course any excessive shade. Pears for example can do well without fertilizer, but not a lot shade and water logged soil. Could pH be a factor. Maybe you want to talk to your county extension agent. Fertilizer in moderation will probably not be that bad. In pears many fear adding nitrogen fertilizer in any large amount because they think it encourages fireblight. i am not so convinced of that.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
When you say the trees are not doing that well, can you be a little more specific? One of the best ways to evaluate nutrient deficiencies is by color changes. Are the leaves yellowish instead of bright green? That implies nitrogen. See any red/purple coloring? That implies low phosphorus. Green veins in yellow leaves means a metal deficiency, ie: low iron, manganese, or zinc. Metal deficiencies show up when the soil is too alkaline. A pH of about 6.0-7.0 is ideal for most trees.

Chestnuts like acidic soil. I get good results with them though making a "metal spray" consisting of 0.5% Ferrous sulfate, and 0.5% Zinc sulfate. Add some lemi-shine and a drop of dishwashing detergent. The soap makes the spray cling better to the leaves without dripping off.

Sure, the spikes are OK, but a bit pricey for the amount of nutrients you are paying for. You'll get more bang for your buck just buying regular lawn fertilizer that you just broadcast around the trees by hand.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts