Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3,079 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is anyone stocking up on commerical fertilizer / manure / garden soil for the inevitable?

I live in an area where we have very sandy soil ( an island ) and as such tend to buy a combined pallet load every year. Any idea on how to save these products?

·
Vampire Slayer
6,907 Posts
Can you keep rabbits or chickens?
Can you collect leaves or grass clippings from neighbors?
Can you get compost from your local dump?

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
Is anyone stocking up on commerical fertilizer / manure / garden soil for the inevitable?

I live in an area where we have very sandy soil ( an island ) and as such tend to buy a combined pallet load every year. Any idea on how to save these products?

I would suggest AGAINST going into a store and asking about buying thousands of pounds of fertilizer... UNLESS you actually own a farm and are actively farming.

·
Registered
578 Posts
Building soil is the best form of prepping. Having sandy soil, though, all of your amendments will tend to leach away into the sand unless you place some sort of barrier between it and your improved garden soil. Have you read the book Lasagna Gardening? It suggests placing a thick layer of newspaper or cardboard at the bottom of your garden beds and building soil on top of it with compost, manure, whatever you can scrounge. Having extremely acid soil, I used scraps of leftover drywall. Apparently it worked very well, indeed. But as far as stockpiles of manure, holy crap, I am set for life.

·
Premium Member
2,790 Posts
I think I must be o.k. My wife is always telling me I'm full of sh!t...

Seriously though, composing and containment seems like the path forward to me. I've not used any synthetic fertilizer in my gardens and they are producing well.

Cheers,
-Per.

·
Registered
4,092 Posts
Well I keep a compost pile going all the time just add the scraps and turn it now and then good growing medium

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
We are preparing for a long term EPTWAWKI event and with enough garden / field to produce a subsistence level of grains 60%, root crops 30% and vegetables 10% for areas of about ½ acre per person per year with some prevision for animal feed. We have very sandy soil too so the first order of business was to get organics into the soil even if they are of poor nutrient content. Peat from the bogs, rotted saw dust and sawdust based horse manure by the truck load; then do green manure and liming.

Unless you are planning on humanure or fairly large numbers of animals, stores of chemical fertilizers are going to be necessary. Chemical fertilizers are, IMO, not really healthy for soils and causing them to burn up their humus content. If you are fairly restricted to your retreat during a long term EPTWAWKI event, you will not be able to bring in composting materials from the outside in any quantity. Every weed, tree leaf, vegetable scrap, down to bark and sawdust will need to be composted for humus but chemical nutrints may yet need to supplied by commercial fertilizer to supply enough calories to keep you alive. If you find you don’t need it after all, it will make a good barter item.

·
Founder
16,867 Posts
I keep about 300 pounds of commercial fertilizer (13-13-13) on hand. When I buy new fertilzier, its rotated out with my stocks.

Besides 13-13-13, I have a bag of 21-0-0 and 10-20-10.

·
My Temperature is Right
5,578 Posts
I'm gonna be hauling in shreded trees and horse poop next month but only enough for my existing squares and one or two new ones and new strawberry tower and new herb tower.

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
First, I admit I am opposed to using chemicals on something I'll be eating. There are many ways to provide nutrients to the soil that do not requiere them. Many people collect leaves and leave them bagged to decompose on their own or shred them and till them in the soil, same with plant material left after harvest. You can start compost bins and make your own compost and compost tea. I have composting worms in bins that I keep in my basement that get my scraps and reward me with their poop which makes great fertilizer. If you don't have farm animals, I bet you could get free manure from people who do or in exchange for some of your labor. My town has free leaf compost. My soil is sandy also but it's getting a lot better. I get very cheap compost and manure in late fall just before freezing weather.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Im not stocking up on comercial type fertilizer but I did haul 4 large trailers of horse stall litter last weekend and will be hauling more. Smells a bit musty outside right now.....as my wife looks over my shoulder and sais "A BIT MUSTY?"

·
Rebel with a cause
581 Posts
I have a few sacks of fertilizer leftover from last year. Tends to get hard and lump up. Once I open a bag I put any unused in 5 gal buckets with a lid, never had a problem with it lumping up.

I have a friend with a training stable - 100 race horses - If you want manure this is the place to go. They have mountins of it and cain't give it away. Look around you area for a boarding stable, these folks will be glad to get rid of their by-product.

·
Registered
475 Posts
As to quote Lou77 "They have mountains of it and cant give it away". I have a hard time buying a 20-30 pound sack of fertilizer back at the store for what $30 when you can find places like Lou77 and get all the horse manure you want for free! Ya you gotta do abit of composting but it's not all that hard and you know what your putting on your garden come spring time.
Compost is the only way to fly...

·
Super Moderator and Walking Methane Refinery
67,493 Posts
I've been stockpiling soil amendments like manure, compostables and sand. Mostly to amend the soil this season, but also to get a head start on the next compost pile to I can expand the garden. You can never have too much stockpiled, although the folks living downwind might disagree.

When I get my animals, that'll give me an added source also. At this point I should say "if I get my animals". Unless I can get something started here, I doubt I'll be able to afford them.

·
Registered
381 Posts
I have literally have tons of manure on the retreat. The place use to be my survivalist great uncles dairy farm and he got really bad on maintaining the farm later in his life. The stables level of the barn have deep layer of manure in them. I need to clean it all out eventually but then I gotta find a new place to keep it all. I've had a few local farmers offer to take it off my hands but Im not going that route.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts