Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
751 Posts
50x75 feet or yards?

As for manure, I would put it on at 4" thick, so if it is feet, thats 3750 sqft, so 37500/3= 1250 cu/ft = 46 cu/yard (you are more likely to buy a bulk load in cu/yard. That is a lot of manure to hand ball around.

In reality, how much ferts depends on what you have now and what you want to grow. Authorities in your area or the local university will be able to test your soil for you, or you can buy a kit yourself. In reality, I would not go for a 10/10/10 as it is unlikely you need that much Phosphorus and pottasium and too much can cause a problem, meaning plants are either damaged or soil chemistry is damaged so plants cannot uptake other nutes.

The packs you ferts come in should give you application rates. I play by instinct and add ferts in my garden at roughly a handfull /sqyard. Most of the stuff I use has an N value of around 6. Highest I use is an N value of 12, thats dried blood but I only use it to get the engine going on the salads and cabbages in the spring.

·
Registered
554 Posts
i was gonna say that you'd need at absolute max 4-6 x 50 lb bags of 10/10/10.

your plot is just short of 1/10th acre and iirc from a few farming websites that i read the most Nitrogen they talk about adding was 220-300 lbs per acre so from that i'd extrapolate that abs max you'd need is 22-30 lbs of actual nitrogen, which means 220-300 lbs of 10/10/10 fert since those numbers mean 10% of each. in real application though i would recommend closer to 33-50% of that unless you planted the whole plot in corn or something.

if it were me though, i'd go with a mix of compost and humus and cow manure along with organic ferts like blood meal, bone meal, feather meal, volcanic rock powder, greensand, etc because the soil will be much healthier and the crop will also likely taste better because of the trace minerals.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts