Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Forum Administrator
16,782 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What fertilizer does everyone use for potatoes?

When planting potatoes I start out with 13-13-13. This is a well balanced fertilizer that I feel helps get the plant established.

Around six weeks after planting I side dress with 10-20-10 and then work up a mound around the plants.

13-13-13 - well balanced for plant growth
10-20-10 - helps promote tuber growth

Before side dressing watch the weather very closely as I want a nice rain after side dressing. The rain helps wash the fertilizer into the soil.

A couple of weeks later I typically work the soil up around the plants. I usually do this by hand, but in 2019 I will use the tractor. Planning on planting a large garden and need to conserve time when I can.

Around May or June the tops of the potato plants start to die, so the potatoes are harvested.

The question is, what is your preferred fertilizer for potatoes?

Picture of potatoes I grew a few years ago:

·
Wile E Coyote, Genius.
33,607 Posts
When I was 13, i worked on a farm that had been left fallow for several years (Pennsylvania). My dad arranged with the absentee owner for me to try farming it. Dad grew up on a farm, and had me brush hog it, plow, disc harrow, spike tooth harrow, then spread lime on 1 pass, then Some fertilizer. Maybe 10-15-10 or so, but don't remember the exact numbers.

Used the cabbage planter to plant the seed potatoes. About 5 acres. Ran the cultivator as needed to rip out the weeds until the plants dominated any remaining weeds.

Also planted about 10 acres of sweet corn.

Everything grew like mad. Made a pass with bugspray halfway though the growing season.

Not sure if the lime is needed everywhere. I would check the soil Ph and get recommendations. Now that acid rain has been pretty much eliminated, the soil might already be on the alkaline side.

·
Wile E Coyote, Genius.
33,607 Posts
Wood ashes would be another sustainable fertilizer.
Dr Wallach says that by throwing the family's wood ashes on the garden, trace elements that the tree had pulled up from the soil depths would be brought into that plant and then into the farmer's food. When we transitioned to natural gas for cooking and heating, that micronutrient supplementation went away and we were left with the 3 element NPK fertilizers, which still makes the plants grow, but the plants no longer contain the nutrition that people need from their food.

·
Registered
7,529 Posts
potatoes like acidic soil, and ours is around PH 7 so we add sulfur. I order it online, 50 lb bag. The shipping costs more than the sulfur. Our blueberries get some of that also.

Not growing potatoes this year, they didn't sell well at the farmers market, plus they are a pain in the ass to dig up

1 - 20 of 39 Posts