Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
You looking at me!
4,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now it just dawned on me that I've read a lot of threads on after a SHTF there will be no food left to hunt in the bush.

Now as I understand it there are millions of juicy pork chops running around the US and they breed like there's no tomorrow.

So wouldn't this be a viable food source at any point?

·
Experiment 626
2,311 Posts
Until they are all killed off due to everyone who owns a firearm out shooting them for food on a daily basis instead of just a few hunters once or twice a year during hunting seasons.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Okay, I've never hunted large game personally. Just mostly varmint. So I may be wrong. From what I've seen with feral hogs, they are just about the nastiest creatures that you could ever set your hands on(not to mention pretty smart and aggressive as well), they have many diseases and are just infectious. I would not go for them in a SHTF scenario unless on a last resort. Only if I couldn't get any small game, or maybe a deer which I'm looking into hunting soon. See, with SHTF, sanitation is very important and of course this applies to processing all games, but hogs are something else. Ah, yeah...this is something I need to prep for as well, some thick gloves so I don't accidentally cut my hands on their sharp tusks or touch some open wound and if I supposedly had an open wound as well, that'd be bad.

Bottom line, use your common sense and keep clean!

·
Experiment 626
2,311 Posts
Okay, I've never hunted large game personally. Just mostly varmint. So I may be wrong. From what I've seen with feral hogs, they are just about the nastiest creatures that you could ever set your hands on(not to mention pretty smart and aggressive as well), they have many diseases and are just infectious. I would not go for them in a SHTF scenario unless on a last resort.
I eat them often. Nothing wrong with the meat at all. Not sure where you got your info, but it is flawed. Wild hogs= good meat. I'd rather eat it than deer any day. Now they are mean and dangerous, can't argue that. If you aren't a good shot, you might want to shoot from a tree stand.

·
Registered
134 Posts
your right in that there are millions of feral pigs in the us, most are in the south / southeast. Here in oregon we have a very small population and they are hard to find. Pigs do breed like crazy and yes would be a great food source, but obviously depending on how many people are harvesting them, the population could diminish. A quick note pigs spread alot of diseases and I would stay well away from any area that they are known to congregate, as well as watch your water supply. Pigs like to defecate in and around water, which is the main way viruses are transferred.

all in all... bacon on the hoof

·
Founder
16,869 Posts
Link to thread I posted awhile back about hunting after SHTF

Better yet raid the piglets from a few of their dens and raise them as livestock.
My cousin has some hogs he is raising, their parents were captured wild hogs.

We are supposed to be building a larger pen to keep them in, but its been too hot to do anything here lately.

·
Rebel with a cause
581 Posts
Around here feral hogs were once domesticated. Farmers "free ranged" them on paper co lands and used dogs to catch them in the fall to eat or sell. Hogs were marked with notches in their ears like a cattle brand. Pigs have three litters a year and not all piglitts were caught.

Low and behold a "pig bomb". By luck or chance you may see a pig in the wild during the day. Its big sport around here to hunt pigs with dogs. Usually a Catahoula Curr or a Pit Bull mix with cur ( the only thing a pit bulls good for). Pigs roam at night, worse on crops than deer!!

Meat hunters use traps, Its nothing to catch three or four big pigs or a whole litter in a trap. The trap has a back door which opens and you run a pig into a cage and put in the truck on on the 4 wheeler. Feed them corn - sweet potatoes - wheat shorts etc for two weeks and they are as good as the pork from Wally World.

·
Anyone seen my dog?
570 Posts
I'm sorry. I read the thread title and thought you were talking about my ex- wives.

Better be careful when you hunt wild hogs. They are fast and can do alot of damage in a short time. In my youth I went into a swamp with a friend to hunt them on foot. We almost bought the farm because we underestimated them. Learned a vaulable lesson that day.

·
This site sucks
1,980 Posts
Wild hogs = Good Eats. Plenty of them in SW Oklahoma. They are really good to eat, never caught anything from them. They are harder to hunt than you think unless you have a good dog. Dangerous, you bet.

·
FO
2,057 Posts
Until they are all killed off due to everyone who owns a firearm out shooting them for food on a daily basis instead of just a few hunters once or twice a year during hunting seasons.
There is no Pig Season in most of the South ... I know in Texas, shoot a pig, be a hero, any day of the year. They are a nuisance animal and therefore, open game, year round.

·
Registered
375 Posts
I agree that wild hog is good eating. As far as other game animals after the SHTF, that may depend of those of us surviving. Since there will be many more human "predators" injected into the food chain, it will fall on us to eliminate some of the natural predators as well as the game. In short, if we shoot nothing but rabbits and squirrels, in the long run not only will the coyote and bobcat starve, so will we. We will have to strive to keep a balance until we can supply meat through more domesticated and regular means.

·
Family Always Comes First
698 Posts
Having taken a wild pig or two per year the past few years, I can say that they are indeed real good eating.

Most wild pigs eat mostly acorns and other mast. Sure, they will eat any dead animals they find in the woods and any wild turkey eggs found in a nest or small fawn that is still too small to run away, but it's mostly acorns. I think that is part of why they taste so good.

In my area, wild pigs are legal to hunt everyday and you don't even have to have a hunting license UNLESS deer season is open, then you must have a valid hunting license and deer tag if you are out hunting in the woods, but you can still kill all the wild pigs you see.

At the hunting lease that 4 of us hunt on, it's "shoot all pigs on site" if seen. 4 years ago, we never ever saw one. 3 years ago, I shot the first one on the lease and it looked like a fat white farm pig that had just walked away from the farm. 2 years ago, another hunter and I each shot wild pigs on the lease that had the classic thick black stiff bristly hair. Last year, I shot two wild pigs.

Also 2 years ago, I jumped a group of about 60 wild pigs while walking to my stand. I was not expecting them there and was not able to get a humane shot off, so I held my fire, but got one later that afternoon.

We have stopped using deer corn feeders at the lease because we feel that they are attracting the wild pigs and we are seeing less and less deer each year. We KNOW the wild pigs are competing wih the deer for the acorns. I want to continue using deer corn feeders, BUT place them inside a fenced area that he deer could jump over the fence to get to the feeders, but the pigs could not.

Do I count on wild pigs for some of my preps? ABSOLUTLY, as well as the deer and wild turkeys on the lease at least for now. I count on the squirrels and the quail too which I also hunt during their hunting seasons.

Will I count on these sources after a SHTF situation? Only as long as it is safe to continue hunting on the lease. We already have to deal with some tresspassers coming on the lease now and then, especially during deer season and we have had some past problems with the lock on the gate getting cut and one ladder stand was stolen off the lease 4 years ago.

Since I do not consider the deer lease 100% secure right now, I doubt it will be any better after the SHTF. We (the 4 that hunt the lease) have talked about starting patrolling the lease year round, but to be honest, the guy that actually has the lease would rather that none of us go there except to hunt because he's afraid that it will scare off the deer.

Ok, I got off topic, but yes, I think wild pigs are good eating, but I doubt that there will be unlimited opportunities to hunt ANYTHING in the woods once TSHTF and the hungry masses all decide to go to he woods and "live off the land".

Medic73

·
Registered
31 Posts
So how would one from the North come down to Texas and hunt hogs? Public hunting ground and a out of state license?

We don't have them in abundence in Wisconsin yet......yet..

·
Registered
321 Posts
Okay, I've never hunted large game personally. Just mostly varmint. So I may be wrong. From what I've seen with feral hogs, they are just about the nastiest creatures that you could ever set your hands on(not to mention pretty smart and aggressive as well), they have many diseases and are just infectious. I would not go for them in a SHTF scenario unless on a last resort. Only if I couldn't get any small game, or maybe a deer which I'm looking into hunting soon. See, with SHTF, sanitation is very important and of course this applies to processing all games, but hogs are something else. Ah, yeah...this is something I need to prep for as well, some thick gloves so I don't accidentally cut my hands on their sharp tusks or touch some open wound and if I supposedly had an open wound as well, that'd be bad.

Bottom line, use your common sense and keep clean!
We put about 3 a year in our freezer. The meat is great, I don't know where you got your information. I would rather have wild hog meat then store bought anyday.

·
Super Moderator and Walking Methane Refinery
67,416 Posts
They make great ballistic testing medium for analyzing load performance too. It's not like you're going to run out of them and they're cheaper than ballistic gel and give more realistic results.

·
Super Moderator. I'm helping!
7,746 Posts
There is no Pig Season in most of the South ... I know in Texas, shoot a pig, be a hero, any day of the year. They are a nuisance animal and therefore, open game, year round.
Same in Oklahoma! :D:

They are crafty critters. Will definitely test you ... but they are worth the trouble. Yum, yum!! :thumb:

1 - 20 of 64 Posts