Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A buddy and I kilt these pigs Friday evening. I was using the 10mm upper on the M16 lower, while my bud used his suppressed 9mm upper on his M-16 lower. I took the male (bottom) home with me and processed it that night. He was around 4-5 months old and weighed about 50 pounds.

There are pigs all over the place we're hunting. We use thermal to locate them and then NV to ID since there are a lot of horses and cattle around. These pigs came from a sounder of around 30. They sure do didi when you open up on them. They don't stick around for long.

Here's a slab of ribs I smoked yesterday. Every feral pig I've eaten tastes better than store bought pork. The flavor is different. Frankie the Dachshound approves.

I got 5 1/2 quarts of cubed meat from the four legs. I canned it yesterday.

·
Getting There!
11,458 Posts
Taking a problem and turning it into an asset! Nice!

·
Founder
16,867 Posts
How long did you cook the jars in the pressure cooker?

·
DamnifIknow
282 Posts
It appears that at least two of your jars are not filled to the top with liquid. Unless eaten quickly the exposed meat will spoil and contaminate the entire jar. I don't mean to be critical.

·
Ná satail orm
993 Posts
I wish we had some around here.....
No, you don't. I bet if you asked real nice though our Southern members would be happy to let you go down and shoot all you want.

I didn't think there was any state in U.S. that didn't have wild hogs.
No reports of them in my area yet but I've heard they're working their way North. You folks down South just keep poppin' away at 'em!!!! I'm afraid we'll get our chance to hunt them up here all too soon.

·
Registered
210 Posts
We dont have them in our county yet but they have been makin a nice home of the county next to ours on the far southwestern portion.
They were rumored to be in that area for the past 5 years. When DEC did some investigating last year, they found a lot of them (by NYS standards).
DEC immediately responded with a green flag for hunters to shoot them.
http://www.dec.ny.gov/animals/70843.html

·
Silver Wings
11,356 Posts
be very careful with the canned meat my friend. It can make you very ill if not done just right.

congrats on the hog hunt. I kill every one I see on my place and they just keep coming. I kill so many that sometimes I just let them lay for the buzzards. If the SHTF happen's during my life, we'll have plenty of pork.

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
It appears that at least two of your jars are not filled to the top with liquid. Unless eaten quickly the exposed meat will spoil and contaminate the entire jar. I don't mean to be critical.
Meat can be canned raw or cooked and pints need to be Pressure Canned for 75 minutes and 90 minutes for quarts. If you are pressure canning, you should already be aware of the correct weight for your elevation. Also, if you processed it correctly and liquid does not cover the meat, it should still be good, altho it may discolor the meat somewhat from what is covered in liquid. I can raw chicken without any liquid whatsoever and it is definitely ok. Check the USDA recommendations or look in the Ball Blue Book. Just my humble .02 worth...

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
How long did you cook the jars in the pressure cooker?
I use an All-American 925 pressure canner. With the jars in place in an inch of water and the lid on, I bring the water to a boil and let steam escape out the weight hole for seven minutes. Then I add the weight (10 pounds) and pressure cook it for 90 minutes.

I'm able to keep the gas on it's lowest setting on the stove and it keeps the weight jiggling a couple/three times a minute.

Even though I don't have to, I still sterlize the jars and lids to make sure. In the bottom of the jar, I add a tsp. of a good quality ham base, and a 1/4 tsp. each of garlic powder, onion powder and black pepper.

The liver, heart, kidneys and the part of the lungs the wasn't made into Tartare by the Doubletap 200 gn. jacketed flat nose, were perfect. He was a perfect eatin pig.

If you don't mind telling, what thermals and NV did you use?
The thermal was made by a local guy. He got a great deal on the tubes and we got them completed for a great deal. It works almost as good as my TAMS-14 did and it doesn't have an aiming reticle.

For NV, I have a D-740 4x scope with a Gen 3 ITT tube. One buddy uses a PVS-22, the other uses a PVS-14.

·
Registered
2,513 Posts
Thank You And Great Pictures

How big can you kieel hogs and still have them taste good? I don't know, soss I'm asking. Yumm yumm! Your pigs weighed about 50 pounds---would you use more gun for the real big'uns? Thanks again. HB of CJ (hungry old coot) :)

·
Registered
4,268 Posts
No, you don't. I bet if you asked real nice though our Southern members would be happy to let you go down and shoot all you want.

No reports of them in my area yet but I've heard they're working their way North. You folks down South just keep poppin' away at 'em!!!! I'm afraid we'll get our chance to hunt them up here all too soon.
They are in Missouri and southern Kansas can't stop an animal that will have 3-5 litters a year.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts