Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got a new doctor a few weeks ago. His a retired Marine Colonel. The last visit we got to chatting about some natural remedies that I use and he mentioned that he was a survivalist and used some of the items that I mentioned.

Well towards the end of the visit I asked him his view on SHTF and if he had any suggestions. I really did not get anything new from him except an article to read.
This give a whole different scenario from anything I have ever heard before and it is written by the military and their views on the topic.

This is a must read for everyone!

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0JIW/is_4_56/ai_110458726/

·
Super Moderator and Walking Methane Refinery
68,569 Posts
Feral cities. There is no other type. Since the first large cities began to develop, they have always been cesspools bringing out the worse in humanity, becoming breeding places for diseases and epidemics, and poisoning the surrounding area with pollution.

·
Registered
33,404 Posts
Feral cities. There is no other type. Since the first large cities began to develop, they have always been cesspools bringing out the worse in humanity, becoming breeding places for diseases and epidemics, and poisoning the surrounding area with pollution.
Which begins to describe how much I hate cities!

I just can't stand them...I get all itchy when I'm in the city.

·
Super Moderator and Walking Methane Refinery
68,569 Posts
Which begins to describe how much I hate cities!

I just can't stand them...I get all itchy when I'm in the city.
I've always felt that way about them and I grew up in them! I despise cities and the types of people that infest them. Always have.

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Most are missing the point to the article. If you read all the way through it is talking about how most of society will be wrapped up in these cities and how these cities will be able to control countries. This will also totally change the way people living in rural areas will interact with cities.

·
Registered
4,577 Posts
I decided long ago that cities were toxic. The maximum size I would want to live in is maybe 40,000. I would have to test to see if that was acceptable.

I do enjoy an occasional visit, though. Mostly I think it is to prove that I can still surgically negotiate my way around. In the past year I've been to New York and Washington.

BTW --With lots of money, any of these places are nice. You just pay someone to take care of all the unpleasant stuff.

·
Registered
850 Posts
Most are missing the point to the article. If you read all the way through it is talking about how most of society will be wrapped up in these cities and how these cities will be able to control countries. This will also totally change the way people living in rural areas will interact with cities.
Good read...I wouldn't say people are missing the point...more like the article is preaching to the choir. The notion that most will just drop over dead at the slightest sign of disaster is grossly underestimated and over exaggerated. For many, the concrete jungles will offer refuge and opportunities. One thing history has taught us is that people (in general) are highly adaptable and resilient creatures.

·
Registered
Bugging In
1,825 Posts
Good analysis, but I think that we country bumpkins have 1 thing in particular that cities lack: medium / large scale food production. Not sure what they have that I need, though.

As I understood the article, Feral Cities value would be access to communications infrastructure. Great. What are they going to talk about? How sick and hungry they are? :thumb:

·
Registered
850 Posts
Good analysis, but I think that we country bumpkins have 1 thing in particular that cities lack: medium / large scale food production. Not sure what they have that I need, though.

As I understood the article, Feral Cities value would be access to communications infrastructure. Great. What are they going to talk about? How sick and hungry they are? :thumb:
Organized raids on rural areas, contol of foreign and domestic imports/exports....the list goes on and on. The Cities would become somewhat a political power to be dealt with just as they are in present day.

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Me being one of those country bumpkins myself, I was alarmed that the military sees a possible scenario that involves organized crime and terrorist organizations as the true rulers of major cities.

The fact that they would control shipping ports, airports and even influencing governments, makes the possibility of what I describe as city state rule. These large cities could control large areas outside of the area through intimidation and brute force of numbers. Think about organized crime or terrorists assembling large, well armed and well trained raiding parties to supply their needs inside the cities.

·
A bad, bad man
215 Posts
Did this Marine COL obtain his MD after service? The last I knew the Marines were treated by the Navy Medical Corp. Even at the most basic level, the Navy rucked it with the Marines. As an Army medic who fought along side the Marines is the Stan, I am sure this is the case. Also, my roomate in Washington DC, who died in Iraq, was a former corpman in the Navy who was in the first gulf war with the Marines. Anyway, whatever. We're all 18B's who were in Force Recon and went to HALO school and were forced to attend BUDS and learn how to kill with tomahawks and wore "tabs" on our right arms.

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Did this Marine COL obtain his MD after service? The last I knew the Marines were treated by the Navy Medical Corp. Even at the most basic level, the Navy rucked it with the Marines. As an Army medic who fought along side the Marines is the Stan, I am sure this is the case. Also, my roomate in Washington DC, who died in Iraq, was a former corpman in the Navy who was in the first gulf war with the Marines. Anyway, whatever. We're all 18B's who were in Force Recon and went to HALO school and were forced to attend BUDS and learn how to kill with tomahawks and wore "tabs" on our right arms.
I have no idea. All I know is that he said that he was a Col and mentioned riding in F-18's when in Florida. He also gave me the link to the article I put on here. Know that the Navy doesn't have Col, I assumed he must have been a marine. He is about 65 years old and lives up on Whidby Island (a navel submarine base here in Wa.) I suppose he could be Air Force, but will ask for sure the next time I go see him.

·
Registered
Bugging In
1,825 Posts
Organized raids on rural areas, contol of foreign and domestic imports/exports....the list goes on and on. The Cities would become somewhat a political power to be dealt with just as they are in present day.
OK, I get the first part in the short term, but the second is shaky in my opinion, as it relies on that continual flow of resources into the cities, as well as a mass desire to recognize them as worthy leaders in order to enable their goals.

Also consider that processing facilities for any of the raw / half baked trade goods arriving at port are generally located outside of city limits. Sometimes even counties away; reference Just In Time production models where excess inventory sitting in warehouses are seen as a loss-leaders.

Still doesn't convince me that the cities will be worth "saving", though. Personally, I really don't care what they do with themselves, as long as they stay there. Strategically, their main asset, communications infrastructure, is more of a liability, as they are concentrated within a known area with boundaries, as opposed to the decentralized, interconnected nodes in rural areas.

I'm leaning more towards the Rhodesian Farmer model, adjusted for the lessons they've learned and we've adapted. Thanks again for the discussion.

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
OK, I get the first part in the short term, but the second is shaky in my opinion, as it relies on that continual flow of resources into the cities, as well as a mass desire to recognize them as worthy leaders in order to enable their goals.

Also consider that processing facilities for any of the raw / half baked trade goods arriving at port are generally located outside of city limits. Sometimes even counties away; reference Just In Time production models where excess inventory sitting in warehouses are seen as a loss-leaders.

Still doesn't convince me that the cities will be worth "saving", though. Personally, I really don't care what they do with themselves, as long as they stay there. Strategically, their main asset, communications infrastructure, is more of a liability, as they are concentrated within a known area with boundaries, as opposed to the decentralized, interconnected nodes in rural areas.

I'm leaning more towards the Rhodesian Farmer model, adjusted for the lessons they've learned and we've adapted. Thanks again for the discussion.
I do not see them worth saving, but as a much bigger threat then I had ever given them credit for.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts