Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What do females do when the time of the month comes around they are stuck in the wilderness and dont have any tampons or pads handy? What about toilet paper? I know you could use leaves but that eventually gets nasty. So what do you do other then stock up in supplies to be prepared? :confused:

·
Wild Edibles Expert
10,167 Posts
There are many absorbent and sterile wild plants, dried sphagnum moss among the best if not the best-- full of antibacterial stuff. Itchy when dry, I would think, but effective. Mullen leaf is a good wiping material, as are corn cobs.

·
Registered
4,268 Posts
There are many absorbent and sterile wild plants, dried sphagnum moss among the best if not the best-- full of antibacterial stuff. Itchy when dry, I would think, but effective. Mullen leaf is a good wiping material, as are corn cobs.
... Yes- but those are all very irritating to the delicate bits. I'd rather stockpile a few Diva Cups or whatnot...

I guess the point is- sure- one *could* use those things... but... if we have the foresight to make other more comfortable and sanitary arrangements.... thankfully we wouldn't have to resort to Menstrual Moss. :upsidedown:

·
Registered
688 Posts
Wrap up the moss in a silk hankerchief so you only have to stockpile the hankies.

·
Premium Member
1,423 Posts
I'm with Mama Bear!!!! hehehehehe I know what Straight Razor meant though. My mom told me they used to keep corn cobs by the outhouse, along with the Sears catalog or maybe it was hmmm, something Ward - oh yes, Montgomery Ward catalog.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Even though I know longer have that monthly problem, I downloaded a pattern so I can make some to have on hand for the younger ones that will need them.

Come to think of it, I do have that old lady, leaky bladder thing going on when I cough or sneeze so I might just need them after all.

·
Amazon
47 Posts
A lot of women in existing tribal cultures use leather. I actually tried this out one time before I started getting the depo shot, as I ran out of girly-sticks while doing fieldwork. Any kind of thin soft leather will do apparently, the stuff they gave me was actually from an agouti with the fur still on. What you do is you take a strip of leather about a long from your fingertip to the inside of your elbow (palm face up) and about as wide as your three middle fingers, tie it up between your legs with a thong around your waist like a loincloth. You have to change it about three or four times a day, but it works pretty well and you can put moss or other natural fibers in there as available if you've got a particularly heavy couple of days in your cycle. You can probably use rabbit or squirrel or some other small fuzzy critter skin to similar effect, I've only ever tried it the once. I understand the Masai use a similar technique with scraps of cow leather.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Eureka I got it !

I am not a female but I got it.

Why not have a soft flexible tube extending from the virgina (with a tight cup shaped seal) to the ground. This way any blood can simply flow from the body to the ground. The ground end can be tied to the back of the shoe.

It can also act as a bread crumb in the woods, in case the hike goes off trail.

I nailed it!

And to pee all she has to do is lift her leg and aim. The high volume pee will also help flush out the blood.

Sexxy ain it ?!

Inventor (me) is not responsible for any bears, wolves or coyotes that may track the female from the trail of blood.

·
Displaced Texan
501 Posts
Hors...don't tell me....you're really a gynecologist right? Am I right????

In the original sticky on "Feminie Care in the wilderness" ~I think TxStrong had the best post with this:

Quote from TxStrong
"I've got a quick, simple and CHEAP tip to use instead of the Glad Rags...go to the dollar store...they sell 10 packs of washcloths for $5...fold the washcloth into thirds. They wash very easily, just toss them into a bucket (old ice cream buckets work well, with a tbsp of detergent...rinse out at the campsite and allow to air dry. They'll work indefinitely (completely reusable) and in the 6 months I've used them, I've never had an issue with bleed through. You can also carry a washcloth per person to use instead of TP or leaves, and wash them in the same manner. Wish I could take credit for the washing machine, but I stole the idea from "Travels With Charlie" and just modified the size of the container. Maybe a general hygene section, with a sub heading for females would be the way to go. Laundry, bathing, dishwashing, soapmaking, etc could be covered in addition to just more typically "female" issues. I think hygiene is important if only to minimize the risk of Cholera, dysentery and other lovely illnesses caused by poor sanitation."

It's simple, cheap, hygenic...comfortable, safe, and easy. The last thing I want to worry about is problematic moss & corn cobs making me "de-wedgie" or squirm along a hiking trail all day. If by chance I cannot find anything of cotton that is absorbant and re-usable after washing, I would honestly rather tear off the sleeve of my shirt and make do with that!

1 - 20 of 64 Posts