Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Cry havoc..
1,102 Posts
This is where i refer folks who ask questions..great starter site....if they ask me if i am prepared, yep, just like the goobermint wants me to be, 3-5 days is all i need, everything will be fine after that....anything more and your just paranoid....
Hurricanes Rita and Katrine are great examples of the 3-5 day time frame.

Dave

·
Registered
3,019 Posts
Sorry, but I would never listen to anything that FEMA says:taped:. 3 days of food & water, look at the problems with Ketrina. People need to wake up and store 1 to 2 years of food & supplies.
You have to remember they're talking to the majority of people that have little to no preps at all. Baby steps is a lot easier than telling everyone they need a year supply and completely turning them off to the idea. And 3-5 is a minimum recommendation from them. More is better.

·
Registered
116 Posts
The big issue is that all gov web sites, FEMA, CDC,NASA homeland are all telling the public to prepare. America has gotten soft and is no longer filled with self reliant people with basic survival skills. More cities and suburbs and less country folks that grew up on the land. The gov has learned by disasters here and abroad people must be prepared to fend for themselves, at least for some period in the most basic disaster. The prime question is how each person defines their threat and survival, basic threat till help arrives or trust no one and be prepared for anything. Be sheep or men!

·
Super Moderator and Walking Methane Refinery
68,572 Posts
Sorry, but I would never listen to anything that FEMA says:taped:. 3 days of food & water, look at the problems with Ketrina. People need to wake up and store 1 to 2 years of food & supplies.
I agree with you. But I can see their point also. They know that they can't mobilize and render aid in localized disasters any faster than that. So the people need to be prepared for at least that long to make it until relief services can be set up.

It's also a good ice breaker. It helps get people's minds to open up to the possibility of being involved in some sort of disaster. Hopefully they will begin to realize there are other possible crisis besides just the localized ones and start preparing for longer term. Either way, it can't hurt, that's for sure.

·
Banned
6,367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
You have to remember they're talking to the majority of people that have little to no preps at all. Baby steps is a lot easier than telling everyone they need a year supply and completely turning them off to the idea. And 3-5 is a minimum recommendation from them. More is better.
After the floods here in the midwest,I was shocked at people not even having the basics,dead flashlights,one guy eating oatmeal for two days,I knew it would get some bad responses,but with the newbies,it gives them a background and a list,Thanks,Kev,for the support.
I would rather put information out than live on the financial forum arguing all the time.

Thanks,Bob

·
Banned
6,367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yes,I woke up one day and had 1 to 2 years of preps,a BOV,BOL,BOB,right
I started out and added to my preps over the last three years,but what was most important?

I STARTED :thumb:

·
Bad Moon Rising
8,897 Posts
I must agree with Bearpaw.

I find it fascinating that nearly all of the government web sites (FEMA, DHS, NASA, etc.) are encouraging their employees and citizens to take steps right now to be prepared, plan to be self reliant in the event of scenarios from winter storms to earthquakes, and offering - in some cases - reasonably in-depth checklists and guidance regarding disaster response preparation.

It isn't just one website - there are numerous US government websites with the same message. Some may point out that the advice is pretty basic, but lets face it - food, water, shelter, cooking, communications, first aid, warm clothes, basic tools, at a baseline level this stuff is not rocket science.

Any plan is better than no plan.

These US government websites provide most people with at least guidance and advice to get started.

No one can say that the government isn't putting out the word.

The question is how many citizens are paying any attention.....

·
Grevcon 10
5,794 Posts
If we were to house to house in New Orleans and the other areas affected by Katrina, as asked every resident if the had a BOB & 2 weeks of food & water storage I can bet the 5% or less would answer yes.

The sheeple never learn and expect out tax dollars to fix everything.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Screen Name

This is where i refer folks who ask questions..great starter site....if they ask me if i am prepared, yep, just like the goobermint wants me to be, 3-5 days is all i need, everything will be fine after that....anything more and your just paranoid....
I kinda/sorta wonder if your screen name was real or made up cutesy. Thanks for telling me.:D:

·
Avoidance & Deterrence
2,832 Posts
Rita and Gustav were indeed 3 to 5 day disasters, Katrina was not, large sections of New Orleans are still not inhabited nor inhabitable 5 years later. I work there every day, I see it.
I think as a rule of thumb 21 days supplies might be better. If the power and water are not back in three weeks then the scope of the disaster may be beyond repair just as it is in New Orleans' East-side. You may want to relocate to another state.

·
Banned
6,367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
If we were to house to house in New Orleans and the other areas affected by Katrina, as asked every resident if the had a BOB & 2 weeks of food & water storage I can bet the 5% or less would answer yes.

The sheeple never learn and expect out tax dollars to fix everything.
You would have a lot less doors to go to since Katrina.During the flooding here,FEMA and Mitch Daniels did a great job.

·
Lux in Tenebris
6,914 Posts
I kinda/sorta wonder if your screen name was real or made up cutesy. Thanks for telling me.:D:
Daveeds,

Tried to pm you, but not allowed... :eek::

Screen name is real, a former Psychological Operations Soldier back in the day, 6th BN ABN, 4th POG, 1st SOCOM JFK at Ft Bragg...Have fun googling it..

It's what got me into sales..Go figure.....

So, now i implement what i learned when talking to folks, if it comes up, about prepping and the like...

"a kernal of truth, protected by a bodyguard of lies."

1 - 20 of 25 Posts