Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My young son is an assistant manager at a Cracker Barrel in a mid-sized city. He is new to the job and has been fighting for change. I didn't know about a project he has been working on.... Today, the legal minds overseeing his branch finally gave him the ok to start distributing leftover food to the homeless. He said they throw so much food away at night because they can't serve it the next day. After close today, he and his dishwasher took food for 80 people to the homeless encampment. They ran out of food before everyone was fed. This was after 10pm. He said the homeless problem is getting worse. We see it here too, and I live about 20 miles outside of a small city. Teenagers are living under bridges here.
I'm proud of him, but I also cautioned him to be careful. He doesn't live near us. He moved across the state to go into management. I'm trying not to worry and told him to take protection for himself. At the same time, if they know he is bringing food again tomorrow night they have motivation to protect him too. The dishwasher works at the soup kitchen and knows a lot of the people.
He is very aware of the world and is built like a tank. He could be a bouncer in any bar, he assistant coaches football for high school...etc., but he's still my baby. I'm proud of him. But it still scares me. :cautious:
Please don't say anything to scare me more, but if you have any constructive ways he can protect himself please suggest them. He isn't 20 yet, so I don't believe he can carry.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Pepper spray, a lighter (crazy people sometimes freak out around fire and run away), and a quick mind will be his best defenses since he can't carry. Also a baseball bat by the back door, but if he has to lay someone out with it he may be charged.
I'm a firm believer that the chronically homeless should be hunted and exterminated, so I can't sympathize with the free giveaways idea, but if he's really set on it maybe the best bet is to give it to a shelter instead of handing it out himself. That way it's going to people that know the clientele and what to expect. Just my 2 cents.
That food would be better used, in my opinion, by single moms and people that are actively putting effort to move up in life.
Best of luck.

·
Registered
3,834 Posts
My experience in WV with Mountaineer Food Bank is that hungry people are not a threat. We've coordinated with Subway and Burger King to bag up leftover foods at end of shift which are distributed to public shelters and known homeless camps. We also leave case lots of bottled water, provide a Porta Potty etc. and several 96-gallon Toter Universal carts for the trash and 36 gallon recycling containers for the cans and bottles, which are picked up by the local trash company VERY little abuse of the system.

Church groups assist with blankets, clothing and personal hygiene items. Most here are simply down on their luck and we have few junkies and dirt bags which seem to be more of a city problem.

·
Premium Member
1,837 Posts
They just closed the Cracker Barrel in Jantzen Beach here in Portland. Hasn't been open five years yet. In the last few years that area has been overrun with bums and druggies. It was too dangerous for employees and customers.

18,805 Posts
My young son is an assistant manager at a Cracker Barrel in a mid-sized city. He is new to the job and has been fighting for change. I didn't know about a project he has been working on.... Today, the legal minds overseeing his branch finally gave him the ok to start distributing leftover food to the homeless. He said they throw so much food away at night because they can't serve it the next day. After close today, he and his dishwasher took food for 80 people to the homeless encampment. They ran out of food before everyone was fed. This was after 10pm. He said the homeless problem is getting worse. We see it here too, and I live about 20 miles outside of a small city. Teenagers are living under bridges here.
I'm proud of him, but I also cautioned him to be careful. He doesn't live near us. He moved across the state to go into management. I'm trying not to worry and told him to take protection for himself. At the same time, if they know he is bringing food again tomorrow night they have motivation to protect him too. The dishwasher works at the soup kitchen and knows a lot of the people.
He is very aware of the world and is built like a tank. He could be a bouncer in any bar, he assistant coaches football for high school...etc., but he's still my baby. I'm proud of him. But it still scares me. :cautious:
Please don't say anything to scare me more, but if you have any constructive ways he can protect himself please suggest them. He isn't 20 yet, so I don't believe he can carry.
I am presuming that he has informed local LE that he is doing such. If not, he should.

At the very least, he can check in when arriving with an anticipated time for being on location, and then again after leaving,

·
Premium Member
1,837 Posts
His heart is in the right place but he is just throwing gasoline on the fire. His best defense is to not be there, or simply run away. I wonder if any established shelters or outreach programs would accept his offerings?
Most of the supermarkets around here have programs where shelters come in and take the day old, marked down and expiring stuff. Store employees are not allowed to make the deliveries. Giving food to the "campers" directly at the back door will only attract more. Eventually one of them will be sick from an OD but sue you for giving out spoiled food. I would not advise him to take the food himself. Instead, have a charity, church org or homeless outreach pick it up and deliver it. A young bright eyed, optimistic retail manager has no business being near one of those camps. Leave that to the professionals. He is not paid enough to get killed or deal with the crazies and strung out. That legal team is clueless.

·
Registered
119 Posts
I'm just over homeless people. 5 days ago I gave a homeless guy an entire pizza that I decided I didn't want. At the job site I'm working, he was standing outside the gate of the fenced in lot. 2 days later I caught him trying to steal about 150' of heavy gauge copper electrical cable. Screw 'em.
I got his shoes though. As he snaked his way back under the fence I snatched them off his feet. Saw him today on my way into work, still no shoes.

·
Registered
606 Posts
If he's taking it a homeless encampment I wouldn't be at all concerned, those places police themselves, they have to just to survive. But as someone said, he should check with the local authorities, or at least understand the laws where he is doing it because some municipalities have strict codes about such activity and he could run afoul of the law if he broke such. Good on him though, it's the sort of thing Jesus did isn't it.

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
Noble effort but he will never feed everyone. Word will get out and the camp will grow rapidly with those seeking free food.

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
Side point. I have known those that feed at camps and other locations. Once a pattern develops more will be there. Then, since more are there, the dealers will show up after the food source leaves to conduct business. Having more ‘customers’ around is to their advantage. And when the homeless get their disability and ebt funds, the dealers say, you don’t need to buy food. Sell your card (what is on the card) to the drug dealer for X amount on the dollar or an exchange for drugs.

many LE departments have an outreach group/team. And will be happy to be at the distribution esp. at the end. They often offer extra services, etc. And that keeps the active criminals with warrants away. Which many of the homeless appreciate too.

·
The Power of the Glave
3,669 Posts
It's normal for young people to feel sympathy and an impulse to be altruistic and "do the right thing". And while that's a noble sentiment, it's also a naïve attitude. Because there are so many predatory-types out there who see your generosity and good-heartedness as a vulnerability, and something to be exploited. And young adults often have trouble realizing that.

I'd advise your son that it's ok to feel compassion for the homeless. But emphasize to him "don't be foolish". Follow sporksradiant's and also Florida Jean's excellent advice a few posts back. Take the extra food to a food bank, or some charity that feeds the homeless. He's still helping these people. But in a way that HE doesn't end-up being a victim. Because from your description, what he's doing now is VERY risky.

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
Well your son is doing what a lot of 20 yr olds would do and being idealistic and naive... I personally don't agree with feeding the homeless except for a select few like single moms and kids. He should do as suggested and take the food to a food bank, he will eventually get into some kind of trouble. Remember that most of these people are on drugs or drink and therefore not rational.....what if one night he shows up with less than enough food and the people revolt?

·
Premium Member
2,148 Posts
I appreciate his heart being in such a great place.

But he is in real danger,and there is no nice way to say that.

At any given time the "homeless HUNGRY" could decide they want all the food for a very few .

Your son would be in real fear for his wellbeing at that point.

AND ---------- you will not know when that time came.

The homeless shelters is a MUCH better way to go.

Drop the food and let those who deal with these people who CHOSE their lifestyle,deal with them.

Yes, I am jaded as I am old and was a cop for over a quarter century.

People are not near as nice as dog's.

I wish him well.

·
Premium Member
8,819 Posts
The law angle is worth considering. Years ago we had a pretty heated thread on here about a priest who got arrested in Florida for feeding the homeless. He would drive into a park in the city and feed the homeless for years. The homeless population, and the crime destruction that came with it, grew to a point where the local businesses could not operate, residents lived in constant fear, and the city's tourism industry was slumping. He was arrested and cited several times but had strong support from outsiders and social media because they got to experience the feel goods from afar and not deal with the consequences of having their own area overrun with homeless.

If I were local and my business or property was affected by a large homeless camp and I found out a local chain restaurant was contributing to it I would take legal action against that chain.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts