Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an RCBS press I have been using for all reloading since the 60's or 70's and still works great. The only problem I have is 45 ACP which when I load you can see a slight ridge line at the base of the bullet in the case. I have tried several dies and brands of bullets and still get this ridge line where bullet base ends in case. This causes feed issues in my Ruger P90. To correct this I resize the loaded bullet which removes the ridge line and rounds chamber and fire without a problem. The question I have is why this ridge line in the loaded round. All my components and dies are to spec. Thank you

·
Registered
12,170 Posts
Have you checked the depth of your bullet seating die? Sounds to me like you may have it down a little too far. Try backing it out a 1/2 turn and turn the seater down by a half.

·
reluctant sinner
17,546 Posts
What brass are you using? Perhaps it is a little thicker. Maybe try seating a little less deep in the case, try seating slowly/stages and checking to see when the ridge appears Some FL dies size a lot smaller than others. What weight of bullets are you using. I really like Lyman 452374 and have never had any issues with it in many 1911's.

Backing out the die body a little and turning in the seating screw is a good suggestion. You might be hitting a square ledge in the die. I had to use a tapered reamer to correct the crimp issue in my Lee 44 mag die.

·
What hell, pay attention
7,981 Posts
Might want to check your expander depth. Ive found that can help with that problem.

Are you loading mixed brass? I load a lot of mixed 9mm and 45, and find that some brass feels stiffer than the others when I run it through the expander, and I still get what I call a "bulge" at the base of the bullet like you describe. The easier the brass expands, the less it seems to occur.

Remington brass often feels like it wasnt sized at all, and the bullets seem sometimes to seat "to" easy. Ive found on a number of occasions that the bullets in those cases will give under a pressure test, where all the rest are tight and wont.

·
Always Loaded
2,316 Posts
I commonly see that bulge in handgun calibers. I load almost exclusively cast lead bullets, which are .001-.002 larger than jacketed. I've only ever experienced issues with tight chambered match barrels. I would try extending your AOL till you hit the lands and see if it persists.

·
Registered
3,636 Posts
Bullet bulge is a relative term. Simple enough to measure sized brass vs. Spec. Every die manufacturer attempts to have their sizing die work on any brass. Since these vary in thickness, some will "bulge", some won't. Resizing loaded rounds? Pull a couple and see what the bullet now looks like. You'll likely be able to measure your, now new, "ridgeline".
At a guess, your chambering difficulties are due to insufficient taper crimping.

·
Premium Member
4,604 Posts
If you are shooting jacketed bullets, the
Lee Precision factory crimp die should help
I like the Redding taper crimp dies for cast
You did say you are ironing out the bulge
As noted above if you are shooting cast you will swage it down and better case expansion is in order
NOE expanders are your friend with cast
I have had a few P90s, so I doubt it is a feed-ramp issue

·
Pusher of brooms
542 Posts
Had some A-Merc .45 brass that was so thick that when reloaded with .452" bullets , it bulged the brass during seating so bad that it wouldn't chamber in a GI barrel.

·
Why do you ask? 2 Dogs!
13,588 Posts
A lot of times you can see the bullet bulge in the case, question is: how much??

Will these loaded rounds chamber easily?? If so, there may be another issue like seating depth, feed ramp issues or so on.

If these rounds won't chamber easily, I would seriously look at your resize die depth, expander ball depth, seating die depth and then bullet seating depth

Is your COAL in spec?

Sometimes I have the same issue if I'm flaring the mouth too much with my powder die (Lee) but I've never had feeding issues

Reactions: hoplite59

·
Registered
2,442 Posts
I have found this happens when the crimp is to heavy and forces the brass down slightly and the brass bulges at the bottom of the projectile where it is unsupported.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts