Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Survivalist
3,242 Posts
It could never happen. The government can't follow everyone around at all times.
So what you're basically saying is when nobody is looking go ahead and break the law?

I agree when laws are so stupid then they should not be given legitimacy, I mean like a motorcycle cop giving a driver in a car a seat belt ticket .. come on how stupid is that, do motorcycles have seat belts? and why not if seat belts are so important?

·
Adventurer
19,333 Posts
So what you're basically saying is when nobody is looking go ahead and break the law?

I agree when laws are so stupid then they should not be given legitimacy, I mean like a motorcycle cop giving a driver in a car a seat belt ticket .. come on how stupid is that, do motorcycles have seat belts? and why not if seat belts are so important?
some laws can go screw themselves

If I have something and i want to trade it for something else be it an item or cash I should be allowed to if I want to sell you my old shoes for a cow then I should if I will only accept gold/silver as payment its my choice as well

·
Premium Member
8,767 Posts
Where exactly are they trying to do this? Is there legslation being considered, because it seems to have been left out of the article.

·
F.O.S. like everyone else
634 Posts
I think that particular case was in Asheville, NC (2 hours from me). It's really the same thing as going to Chuck E. Cheese or any arcade and buying tokens to spend in their games. If the gov't can't tax it, it's going to be outlawed. If they can make more money on it being illegal than they can make from it being taxed, it will be outlawed. Compare alcohol to marijuana. How many more crimes are committed, or lives lost, to each of them? But, with the coins, it's probably best to barter with goods rather than coins.

·
Premium Member
8,767 Posts

·
634 Posts
Has nothing to do with either the OP or bartering. He was trying to pass them off as currency.

Nothing in the OP suggests that the feds are doing anything to restrict bartering.
It wasn't directly bartering, but his particular choice for representation of bartering. You could write a note and sign it, and it could represent bartering. His choice of using a coin (like arcades use) and calling it currency got him in trouble. But, even locally, there are efforts to suppress bartering. No laws, but it's discouraged in a lot of areas.

·
Premium Member
8,767 Posts
It wasn't directly bartering, but his particular choice for representation of bartering. You could write a note and sign it, and it could represent bartering. His choice of using a coin (like arcades use) and calling it currency got him in trouble. But, even locally, there are efforts to suppress bartering. No laws, but it's discouraged in a lot of areas.
HE was selling them not bartering with them .

·
634 Posts
HE was selling them not bartering with them .
So, every arcade in the country is guilty of selling their coins for U.S. currency. You gotta use the arcade coins in their games. I could paint a picture and sell it to you for U.S. currency, and then you could barter (trade) for a good or service. I don't think there is a problem there.

The problem comes when the Federal Government sees someone trying to "replace" U.S. currency with another form of currency, whether it is a paper note or metal coin, or a product or good. I will find the article, but recently I read that it was deemed "domestic terrorism" because he was trying to move in on the U.S. Mint.

Maybe I've read more on it because it's local. I'm not saying it was right or wrong. I'm sure there was a better way to do what he was doing. But, the facts are that he had a coin that he was trying to get locals to use instead of U.S. Dollars.

·
Knowledge is power...
113 Posts
The bottom line is that the US Federal Reserve notes are just that--a form of currency that is considered legal tender by the FED...however I don't see why there should be a problem with anyone else 'making up' their own currency as long as someone else thinks it's worth something and accepts it in payment. If he was forging the US FED notes, ok. But he wasn't. I don't see how the government should get to decide that anyone else printing off paper IOU's is bad simply because it appears to encroach on their monopoly. Especially considering that their currency is now essentially worthless anyway.

·
Banned
750 Posts
I didn't read all the responses, but it seems the OP may work for a major news network due to his fine ability to write a good, somewhat misleading headline. ;-)

The article says they want to restrict bartering for private currency... this is because of norfed stuff. Watch out, BerkShares!

1 - 20 of 43 Posts