1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Libertarian
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Midland XT511 Base Camp 2-Way Radio with Emergency Crank Power

Features:
-22 Channel FRS/GMRS 2-way Radio
-5 Sources of power: Dynamo crank, AC/DC Adapters, Rechargeable and Alkaline batteries
-NOAA All hazards/weather alert radio with override
-121 privacy codes
-VOX
-Channel Scan
-Auto Squelch
-Hi/Lo power settings
-PLL Drift free weather broadcast weather reception
-Large LCD with backlighting
-3 Bright LED flashlight - Offers light during a power outage or at night
-AM/FM Radio
-Clock with Alarm
-USB connector - allows you to recharge devices such as cell phones
-Water resistant
-3 year manufacturer Warranty

Very nice and good quality. It's going in my BOB and I plan on taking it camping also. It can be used as an external speaker for iPod or the like. I plan on getting a couple more rechargeable battery packs for it.

·
Information is Ammunition
22,122 Posts
how much? how durable? base transmission/reception range? can the antenna be upgraded?

Reactions: Theguy

·
Libertarian
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I got it for $74.00 shipped. Not sure about the watts but it will have up to 26 mile range. It seems like it would be very durable, no moving parts (other than dynamo), and no upgradeable antenna.

·
BEEN HERE TO LONG
1,336 Posts
I ordered 1 today lol

·
Registered
91 Posts
Hate to bust your bubble but you will be lucky if you can talk a mile with one of those. Max 5 watts on UHF. VERY short range especially with the built in antenna.

Sorry

Rex

·
Bail me out
398 Posts
thats badazz

·
Registered
4,886 Posts
Doesi t have an antenna jack. Having an atnenna on the roof of your house connected to a quality coax cable with a minimal amount of connections will make that antenna transmit and recieve on the scale of 5-10x longer.

When I got my ham radio license, I had to learn morse code. Today, no morse code listening test is required. If you need discrete communications, the lesser used ham radio bands will be watched less. Also, most modern handhelds have basic encryption features, that aren't too tough to break, but the possible values have to be tested during transmission.

Also, HF radios typically double as high quality shortwave recievers. You can talk around the world with 5 watts. I have also talked to people in europe and africa with a 9v battery and a simple portable antenna.

Here is a local testing schedule search engine. Also, this site sells test prep study books. The basic license to transmist up to 200w on certain HF bands and all VHF, UHF, and microwave fequencies is relatively easy.

http://www.arrl.org/arrlvec/examsearch.phtml

·
Registered
8,153 Posts
Josiah:
As usual, great video. I sw this in the Cabelas catalogue. I will purchase soon. Looks like a perfect accmompanyment to our FRS radios.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts