Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Alert Today~Alive Tmrrw
2,991 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://le.atk.com/general/federalproducts/shotshell/tacticalbuckshot.aspx

Tactical Buckshot also features copper-plated shot and recoil reduction that, when combined with the FLITECONTROL wad, result in the most dependable and predictable pattern performance available
http://www.brassfetcher.com/12 gauge.html

http://www.firearmstactical.com/briefs10.htm

Many firearm, wound ballistic experts and trauma doctors opine that number 1 buckshot offers greater stopping power and wound trauma than standard 00 and 000 buckshot:

A standard 2-¾" 12 gauge shotshell contains 16 pellets of #1 buck. The total combined cross sectional area of the 16 pellets is 1.13 square inches. Compared to the total combined cross sectional area of the nine pellets in a standard #00 buck shotshell (0.77 square inches), the # 1 buck shotshell has the capacity to produce over 30 percent more potentially effective wound trauma.

In all shotshell loads, number 1 buckshot produces more potentially effective wound trauma than either #00 or #000 buck. In addition, number 1 buck is less likely to over-penetrate and exit an attacker's body.
This new Federal tactical load contains 15 pellets. Federal tactical FC buckshot keeps the patterns remarkably tight, which is the key to its effectiveness. This is a great HD round if you want the pellets to go where you aim them, reducing the risk for collateral damages.

I still prefer 00, but this is a good option for those who prefer the #1 buck pellet size. YMMV

·
Registered
3,892 Posts
definitely better for s-d or h-d but I'll take the 00 or 000 for hunting deer and or bear though.
the heavier larger shot would have better downrange energy

·
Wilddieb
2,249 Posts
I just ordered Federal Tac #00 and #000 buckshot.

Order already is out, so perhaps next time I will give #1 buck a try.

In the catalog of my dealer (yes, they still have printed lists and paper catalogs) it was not listed.

Does the #000 buck shot now feature FliteControl wads? The ones I have right now do not. Only #00 has. Did they change that? #00 with FliteControl really patterns tighter, also at 25 yards.

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
Thanks for the heads up.

Does anyone know the science behind why they achieve tighter groups at greater ranges? I am not in doubt that they do it. I'd just like to know how.

·
Registered
4,886 Posts
Tigher patterning? That's not really a good thing. Want a real tight buckshot pattern, buy a slug round.

You want to pattern to widen out. Typical home defense ranges are much much closer than 25 yards. more like 25 feet or less.

The same misconception goes to bird hunting. Everyone thinks you need a tighter and tighter pattern. Go with something that works well with-in intended ranges, and make sure you got some pheasant or grouse recieps when you get home.

I do like smaller shot than 00 buck.

·
Here's my safety Sir
14,678 Posts
Good info, thanks

Reactions: Filthy_McNasty

·
Wilddieb
2,249 Posts
Tigher patterning? That's not really a good thing. Want a real tight buckshot pattern, buy a slug round.

You want to pattern to widen out. Typical home defense ranges are much much closer than 25 yards. more like 25 feet or less.

The same misconception goes to bird hunting. Everyone thinks you need a tighter and tighter pattern. Go with something that works well with-in intended ranges, and make sure you got some pheasant or grouse recieps when you get home.

Tighter pattern means (at least for me):

I want to put all pellets center of mass @ 20 yards.

And with cheap #00 or # 4 buck shot (Sellier & Bellot for example), this does not work out for me.

On the other hand, when hunting waterfowl, I prefer not so tight patterns.

So it depends on the situation...

·
Y2K Veteran
274 Posts
I remember reading an article many years ago about either #1 or #4 buck being better as a defensive round at close range due to many more projectiles striking within a certain area causing more total damage. Now, this would be a tight pattern as implied from the OP links. Also, the #4 buck has less penetration thru solid structures for any misses or passthroughs, as they were figuring on multiple walls to get thru before there might be another household member in danger. This is why my home protection shotgun has 3 #4 buck shells followed by 2 #00 buck shells in case I can't get the job done with 3 shots.

·
Alert Today~Alive Tmrrw
2,991 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

The pellets to go where you aim them, reducing the risk for collateral damages

·
Registered
5,470 Posts
Anyone worried about "collateral" damage shouldn't be using a shotgun for home defense. Use a pistol instead.

Federal Flight Control are some of the best shells I've used. They pattern consistent and clean, even compared to other premium brands.

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
Anyone worried about "collateral" damage shouldn't be using a shotgun for home defense. Use a pistol instead.

Federal Flight Control are some of the best shells I've used. They pattern consistent and clean, even compared to other premium brands.
Anybody worried about collateral damage should use a Super Soaker or a baseball bat. Any firearm no matter what it is loaded with has the potential to kill or injure an unintended victim.

But I'm with you... give me a load that I can see pattern consistently... and that more than eases my collateral damage concerns. Federal Flight Control is a great ammo. I'd have no qualms at all using it for HD.

·
Rabbit Junky
131 Posts
+1 to Sailing. If I'm all scairdy cat when a bad guy's in my place, I want my coach gun load to spread out quickly. Why? Cause I'm scared, that's why. I might not aim proprely, heck, I might not have time to. So I am happy with my Black powder loads for my SXS that was made in the early 1900s. They get right spread out by in-home distances which gives me a little grace in the aim....not that, as a Canadian, I would EVER use my firearms to defend myself, as that's not allowed in my province. Just sayin.

·
Alert Today~Alive Tmrrw
2,991 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

Federal Premium is the standard by which others are judged. The FliteControl wad throws the tightest patterns of any shotshell, period. I don't know how big your home is, but the Federal Tactical load can put nine 00 buckshot into a 12" pattern out to 25+ yards.

Does the #000 buck shot now feature FliteControl wads? The ones I have right now do not. Only #00 has. Did they change that? #00 with FliteControl really patterns tighter, also at 25 yards.
Sorry, no idea. Check the Federal/ATK website

Good article. Thanks.
You're welcome

+1 to Sailing. If I'm all scairdy cat when a bad guy's in my place, I want my coach gun load to spread out quickly. Why? Cause I'm scared, that's why. I might not aim proprely, heck, I might not have time to. So I am happy with my Black powder loads for my SXS that was made in the early 1900s. They get right spread out by in-home distances which gives me a little grace in the aim....not that, as a Canadian, I would EVER use my firearms to defend myself, as that's not allowed in my province. Just sayin.

Black powder loads for home defense? Surely you can't be serious..

·
Rabbit Junky
131 Posts
Filthy, bear in mind that my BP shells function just the same as a normal shotty shell. They don't have the hitting power as smokless but they have plenty at home d ranges. My SXS is not my only HD capability but, by having the BP shells for it, I've taken a wall hanger and enabled it to be included in the mix.

Tested the pattern a couple of days ago and I find the spread perfect for a zombie application, should it arise.

I'm open, though, on reasons that BP shotty is a bad idea for HD. Should be an interesting topic. Oh, here's a pic of her. How could you not want to let this old girl help out??? That's 00 and #4 Buck in the side saddle.

Cheers

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

·
Alert Today~Alive Tmrrw
2,991 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Filthy, bear in mind that my BP shells function just the same as a normal shotty shell. They don't have the hitting power as smokless but they have plenty at home d ranges. My SXS is not my only HD capability but, by having the BP shells for it, I've taken a wall hanger and enabled it to be included in the mix.

Tested the pattern a couple of days ago and I find the spread perfect for a zombie application, should it arise.

I'm open, though, on reasons that BP shotty is a bad idea for HD. Should be an interesting topic.

Cheers
Why not use smokeless powder buckshot? The blast, flash and amount of smoke from BP may hinder your night vision (Federal, Winchester, Hornady and Remington use flash-suppressed powders in their premium loads) The amount of smoke generated by BP loads INDOORS is more than you may think

This new load by Federal is a most excellent combination for home defense use. I highly recommend it over any BP load--especially handloads.

Stay safe

edit to add--i think it would be wise to check with a gunsmith to see if that ol' shotgun is safe to shoot with modern smokeless shells

·
Rabbit Junky
131 Posts
Believe me, Filthy, I'd use smokeless if I felt that it'd be safe for the long haul. When I brought the shottie home from my Mom's house, I proofed it up to some pretty powerful steel BB loads. After I knew it would take a little abuse, I decided to limit any future shooting to the stuff for which it was designed. It's funner than crap to shoot the BP loads!!

Oh, my Rem 870 sports a full compliment of smokeless... :)

Absolutely great point on the night vision thing. Perhaps the SXS will be put into use during daylight or outdoor ops. Still workin the plan.

Sorry if I hijacked the thread. Back to the Flite Control....

1 - 20 of 30 Posts