Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I won a Federal Ordance M-14 on gunbroker last week and I was thinking of doing some upgrades bi-pod scope mount w/scope any other Ideals would be apprec. :thumb:

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
Federal ordnance isn't that bad IMO.alot of people will dispute that,but its made from original G.I. parts except the receiver.Bipod is a good idea.I wouldn't worry about the scope right now.Best thing to do is learn to use that peep sight and get good with it.Buy some spare parts,Oprods,springs, extra trigger group etc.and get good quality mags.www.44mag.com sells some of the best on the market.There the current contractor for the US military.Your next best choice is surplus taiwanese T-57 mags .They work well in my M1A and you shouldn't have any problems.

Reactions: Bobjr59

·
Registered
5,507 Posts
There were some issues with "commercial" ammo and the extractors vanishing when they were being made.
Stick to "military" pressures, bullet weights and velocities if you can.

The Springfield Armory 2-point scope mount replaces the clip guide but is very secure and repeatable. But not inexpensive.

GI parts are getting harder to find, in some cases extremely hard to find. Smith Enterprises is most likely one of the best places for parts and service.

Go with the synthetic stock if it doesn't have one already. Keeps the zero from wandering.

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
I had a Fed at one time and it had the issues that many people report. The bolt looked like a drunken ******* filed with it with a chainsaw. From what i have read and witnessed first hand it would be best to put that sucker back on gunbroker.
Given the fact that the lugs have a major problem locking home it's border line dangerous to shoot the thing IMHO.

·
Plinker
746 Posts
The M14 was my "standard issue" rifle in the early 60's. You'd think there would be no shortage of quality parts or whole rifles for that matter nowadays.

·
Banned
630 Posts
1000's of m-14 rifles went to Estonia, Latvia, from what I understand and read, the U.S.
has re- purchased some that was originally sent to Estonia...spare parts as well....for the wars in Iraq and Afganistan....

·
Rifleman
1,600 Posts
All the state rifle associations that wanted them had DCM/CMP issued M14's to loan new highpower shooters to learn with. They recalled them last year. They were boxed up sent to the Anniston Arsenal, rebuilt and sent to Iraq. That may be why there is a parts shortage right now.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Sell it and get a FAL.
Thank you I have the M-14 already sold and I have a FAL G-1 that is going on gunbroker after I Parkerize it, if a buyer I have desides he doesn't want it.:)

All the state rifle associations that wanted them had DCM/CMP issued M14's to loan new highpower shooters to learn with. They recalled them last year. They were boxed up sent to the Anniston Arsenal, rebuilt and sent to Iraq. That may be why there is a parts shortage right now.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts