Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think most of us like minded individuals worry about this subject alot. What about our children, our wifes, brothers , parents and friends. Its like I can't open up to everyone when TSHTF. Ofcourse My family will be safe and secure but at what point do you close the door and turn others away. Its about Survival and as we all know our supplies won't last forever.

·
Getting Ready
1,025 Posts
I wont be able to really take anyone in, the only family member that lives close enough to help is my cousin. Everyone else is over three hours away or further. if a tidal wave hits sadly practically my whole family will be hit (except for pops in TX).

so depending on the disaster i wont have to worry about it.

as for randoms, not many know im prepping for anything so i shouldn't have to worry about taking people in. Don't let alot of people know you have a stockpile.

T

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
:taped:Don't get me wrong I don't go around blabbing to everyone that hey if you need this or that come see me. Also the only person that really knows my plans is my brother.

·
Registered
18,814 Posts
I worry about my kids, I have 2 sons who both live in Alaska and are living the prepared lifestyle.
My 2 daughters live in Oregon and am sad to say they don't have a clue. To involved in things that don't mean jack, in my opinion.
Sent my oldest daughter some money for her birthday and she bought a faux-leopard skin bedspread. When she called to thank me ,she had to go to the store and buy toilet paper because they were all out.
Question is do I send her a case of T.P. or would that be a waste of time ?
..........................................Alaskan.......

·
Registered
35 Posts
Me and mine are all I truely worry about, other family members roll thier eyes when I "preach" to them. So my son, daughter and wife is all I worry about. I do have a few friends I have turned on and we will meet up afew weeks after the shtf.

·
Registered
498 Posts
I think most of us like minded individuals worry about this subject alot. What about our children, our wifes, brothers , parents and friends. Its like I can't open up to everyone when TSHTF. Ofcourse My family will be safe and secure but at what point do you close the door and turn others away. Its about Survival and as we all know our supplies won't last forever.
Sadly, I think the question is "at what point do I open the door". It should
pretty much be closed from the beginning and ONLY when you are sure
your family has what they need do you consider on a case by case basis
who will come in and what position they will fill in your group.
You're the best judge of who comes in...Will they be able to work? To run?
To fire a gun, Will they pull on your supplies or bring their own? Will they
constantly drag down your morale?

It's sounds crass but you should be building a set of criteria now, like a
company manager who is looking for an applicant to a position. Set it
in your mind that you're not going to be able to save everyone and as
cold blooded as it sounds you're not a highly financed shelter or rescue
program most are going to have to be turned away.

Me personally, I've found family members and friends that I trust and
who I feel can be helpful in various situations (and need to find others
to join up with). If they're not in place within 24 hours of a "situation",
they're pretty much out of the picture.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I believe "Family first then friends and thats it." My family and I are prepared, my son, who lives in Germany with his girlfriend is also prepared. My daughter has no clue, she's unfortunately oblivious to what's going on.

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
Again, I will mention Noah and his family. they had to wait in the ark for 7 days whilst the mockers and scoffers knocked a the door of the ark. I dont know how I will handle people knocking on my door, because at the moment it is always open.But the safety of my family is first.

·
Squawker
145 Posts
Well, it's just my wife and I, and our 2 "kids", Simba (our cat), and Tweeter (our African Sun Conure). My 87 year old mother lives in the east in Virginia, and I live 2500 miles away in Las Vegas. My cousin will look after her. I'm currently looking for a local survival group (I have a post on the subject), but unless I can find one, we'll need to try to organize the neighborhood. We'll need more than the 2 of us to protect us against roving thugs looking to take what they can. Whether or not I'll share anything remains to be seen. I will look after us first, and my bird and cat come before the neighbors. I don't intend to let any of them know that we have anything stored. If I can't find a group, we'll just have to play it as it goes.

·
bad grammar deal with it
452 Posts
my dad always told me take care of yourself before you take care of others and thats what i intend on doing. my family first everyone else if the situation permits. after "it does permit" im just going to triage people based on needs, current situation, so on and so forth.

·
Breathe Easy
214 Posts
My plan is to get far enough away from everyone else (other than family) and hidden enough that no one will come knocking. If they can find me, they might deserve a chance.

·
Registered
18,814 Posts
I am very worried for my mother and sister. My sister will be moving in with my mother this winter (Awesome) but it is just the two of them. Man I wish I was there!

·
Registered
18,814 Posts
Chair against the wall!

Pretty much ditto with acerunner, i also get the "whats wrong with you look" when i speak of preparedness.... Case in point...last week a conversation with a close family member who plays the stock market says:

Him:i just made x-amount of dollars today how is all that training and garbage you buy, going to help you when times are tough
me:training and bullets never depreciate, and can grow in value in tough times, expecially wene you dont have any!
Needless to say wene tshtf, although love him, sadly he will be missed...my kids and me will survive, (stll thinking about bringing the wife along as the kids like her...lol:d:)

·
Registered
28 Posts
Your inability to prepare is not my crisis. Help those that help themselves. Tough choices.
What I am seeing now, is no one has money. Looking for help just to cover their monthly bills. Overtime and jobs are disappearing.

At what point do you call SHTF.

·
Registered
121 Posts
pit may have already shtf or not.. if not it is close. about the above post, i work for a nation wide company in the middle of a world wide buyout/merger. point is this is not small buisness, losts of revenue(well use to be). it is bad enought it has been posted NOOOOO overtime, and if u do work it, it wont be paid. and they are urging us to take unpaid time off to help out.. possible forced time off soon to come... time to worry is upon us

·
infowars.com
421 Posts
In our group we are prepairing to run into others and adding people to our groups
while heading to our B.O.L the way we see it the more numbers the better
when it comes to my son he is 10 and he goes with us on our trips in the mountains we teach him tracking and takeing point while hikeing

he asks why we do what we do but with use visitng newyork a week before sept11 happend and liveing in virginia during the d.c sniper thing
he understands being pre paired he didn remember the events but showing him pictures and storys helped show him

if the SHTF we have a felling there will be alot of kids by themselves or single moms not knowing what to do so we are planning for it how can you tell a mom with a kid to leave I dont think none of us can

·
One of the Frozen Chosen
250 Posts
My folks live on Kodiak Island but are up high enough to be safe from tsunami, have firearms for protection and know how to hunt fish, garden, and forage. Good thing 'cause if things do break down, there's likely to be no way to get to them or visa versa. My immediate family members locally are completely with me in getting ready, which is a huge help ... and my subtle clues to friends are currently being taken much more to heart. Where until recently they would not -- I mean absolutely and resolutely would not -- hear me out, they are now seeking info and advice, which does bode well for them, as long as enough time is left. Because it's not just the getting of things but the learning of skills....

·
Jack of all trades
228 Posts
Just give 'em one of the greatest "sayings" of all time, IMO: Lack of planning on your part, does not constitute an emergency on my part...

1 - 20 of 21 Posts