Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
off-grid organic farmer
24,546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
FDA is finally acting to restrict asthma drugs that have been known to cause asthma

The U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) recently issued new restrictions for four popular long-acting asthma drugs.

Novartis AG's Foradil, GlaxoSmithKline's Serevent and Advair, and AstraZeneca's Symbicort, all contain an ingredient that relaxes airway muscles in the lungs which can cause asthma-related death.

If not accompanied by other asthma drugs to offset this life-threatening side effect, the consequences could be fatal. These drugs have long contained a label that reads, "increases risk of asthma-related death", but apparently this warning is not enough for this extreme class of medications.

Known as long-acting beta-agonists (LABAs), these asthma drugs are used by roughly six million asthma sufferers to combat asthma symptoms.

Ironically, LABAs are so dangerous that, if not combined with other asthma drugs, can actually cause an asthma attack.

http://houston.injuryboard.com/fda-...gs-for-some-asthma-drugs.aspx?googleid=278382

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB122...ong-Acting_Asthma_Drugs_Increase_Asthma_Risks

·
Trouble following rules
2,201 Posts
While I suppose this is a glimmer of good news, we also have drugs for depression that can increase the risk of suicide - doesn't make much sense to me. (and tons of drugs with serious side affects, many times worse the the illness they're meant to treat). I have little faith in the FDA, not to mention the drug companies. As usual, big government in cahoots with big business.

·
off-grid organic farmer
24,546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I agree.

I do not see this as hope-causing, it has been pointed out to me that every part of our government is corrupt through their centers for many years.

I find the idea of asthma drugs that cause asthma appalling.

Likewise anti-depressants that cause depression, ...

Big pharma is an industry which has been working along with our government to enslave our people.

And mostly sheeple wag their tails and follow right along.

·
Trouble following rules
2,201 Posts
I agree.

I do not see this as hope-causing, it has been pointed out to me that every part of our government is corrupt through their centers for many years.

I find the idea of asthma drugs that cause asthma appalling.

Likewise anti-depressants that cause depression, ...

Big pharma is an industry which has been working along with our government to enslave our people.

And mostly sheeple wag their tails and follow right along.
Yes, the drug companies have but ONE purpose - that is to sell as much of their products as possible. They would be extremely happy if you, I and everyone else in the country were on 10 or more various drugs for our entire lives.

This brings to mind a friend of mine whose young neice was having problems with "acid reflux". The doctor, of course, prescribed the newest acid reflux medication, and told her mom that she would probably have to take that medication for the rest of her life. I've found that at least a few people who have told me that they suffer from acid reflux, merely have heartburn which can be fixed quickly and easily with a couple tablespoons of apple cider vinegar. I'll bet most would see a big improvement from eating real, healthy, wholesome food rather than highly processed junk. And when I've brought that up, some of those people have even replied that they'd rather just take the medications. It amazes me how people can't see what the drug companies are doing to their lives and this country as a whole. Every time you turn around, they're claiming another new illness and a drug to control it. Who ever heard of restless leg syndrome 10 years ago?

Another thing that bugs the hell out of me is prescription drug TV commercials. This is fairly new also - I suppose less than 10 years old. Drug companies advertising directly to the consumer - "Ask your doctor (who's getting "incentives" to prescribe these drugs) if XX is right for you". I think daytime TV has more Rx drug commercials than for anything else. I don't like this one bit and feel it (and the drug companies overall) is killing us.

Sorry if I ranted a bit (and I know people who are taking meds for "acid reflux", "RLS" will disagree with me), but this topic always makes my blood boil.

·
Enjoying life
96 Posts
I am not a fan of drug companies, but they have been saying for at least the last 15 years that people on long acting beta agonists should have a rescue inhaler for sudden attacks and warning about the risk of sudden attacks while on them. This is not new news, it's just the FDA is finally mandating that additional warnings be put on the package insert. Most doctors were already well aware of the risks long before this. Drug companies do a lot that is wrong but the fact is tens of millions of lives have been extended because of long acting beta agonists. The majority of the people who died did so because they didn't have the recommended rescue inhaler. My wife uses Advair and certainly won't be stopping.

Every drug is prescribed with risk vs reward in mind by the doctor. I personally take as few prescription medications as possible because I know the risks. Sometimes you just have to take the chance though. Like when you can't breathe without it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.