Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Bad Azz M 60 / Proud MM
1,173 Posts

·
Registered
630 Posts
It's about frakken time, we have a few idiots here that are so over powered and think they own the airwaves, you cant even have a decent conersation with anyone because these jerks think they are radio gods here, i hope they get shut down forever!

·
Stack It Deep.
649 Posts
I have no issue with law enforcement of LAWFUL statutes. I also have had trouble with linear amps talking over friends just a few miles away. My question is why the judges selectively enforce law A but not law B? They were hired to use the law, not make it.

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
FCC i think is the least enforcing agency there is
same with CRTC . no manpower .
i do agree CB must remain unlicensed but ppl need to conform
if you want more power get a ham licence . let me tell you that fcc is nothing compared to ham when it comes to respect of others and their right to communicate. (ham will tend to locate rogues and point fcc to them )

CB regulation are there to make it fair for use by all not just by a bunch of hot heads . i truly encourage that you report someone that is a nuisance on the airwaves . i know some may not like that but still respect is in order on the air . (kids are listening)

for the very limited amount of regulation on the CB and FRS i think that that enforcing some very minute regulation is in order since almost nobody reports CBs that are unlawful . (we should act like ham-ers in this regards before they strip us of this privilege/ right)

PS: CB is not in the first amendment if i recall nor are airwaves .

·
Survivus most anythingus
3,874 Posts
CB regulation are there to make it fair for use by all not just by a bunch of hot heads . i truly encourage that you report someone that is a nuisance on the airwaves . i know some may not like that but still respect is in order on the air . (kids are listening)
I guess you don't have cable or sat - TV.

...for the very limited amount of regulation on the CB and FRS i think that that enforcing some very minute regulation is in order since almost nobody reports CBs that are unlawful . (we should act like ham-ers in this regards before they strip us of this privilege/ right)
When you say, "unlawful," you are speaking specifically of illegal amps, yeah?

As far as losing any privileges, were you around in the 70s and 80s with CBs? Good grief, if they didn't shut it down then, they're never going to.

PS: CB is not in the first amendment if i recall nor are airwaves.
There are a lot of things that are not in The First Amendment, are you suggesting that The Bill of Rights only be taken literally? What you read is what you get and that's it?

That's fairly myopic.

On another level, how in the hell can anyone "own" the airwaves?

That's not to start another debate, it's just an idea for people to think about. Is there any thing in the damned country the government doesn't place a claim on? They own your land, too. Even if you have a deed/title, don't pay your taxes.

I hope they crack down on the morons with their goodbuddy, I mean "roger beep.
That just signals the other party that you are finished talking in that part of the conversation. I don't listen to CB, man, hardly at all! I just have a classic GE Emergency Unit for the car. But the ending beep doesn't bother me.

The electronic female orgasms, tarzan screaming and sounds of water dropping and then the digital delay applied are all a bit much for me to tolerate.

·
Registered
4,480 Posts
well lets see.. I can put my cb back in my car and brodcast... illegally.. its over power because thats the way it was made.. do I abuse it no.. but can they catch me.. I dont think so.. the amount of money and time to track me down.. I simple go prove it.. Id send a nicely worded legal message back telling them this harrsment wont stand... How are they going to prove it really...

haveing radio equpment in it self isnt a crime..

·
Survivus most anythingus
3,874 Posts
well lets see.. I can put my cb back in my car and brodcast... illegally.. its over power because thats the way it was made.. do I abuse it no.. but can they catch me.. I dont think so.. the amount of money and time to track me down.. I simple go prove it..
Actually, why don't you do that and broadcast every day for a few minutes and see?

The truth of the matter is, yes, they can catch you. They will spend the money to get the fix on you and if they do, they already have the proof they need to make you miserable.

Id send a nicely worded legal message back telling them this harrsment wont stand... How are they going to prove it really...

haveing radio equpment in it self isnt a crime..
And they would send you a nicely worded legal message, too, hahahahaha!

I am not sure, but I think possession of that radio is, in fact, against the law.

Not sure and don't really care, but I really think you need to test out your theories! :D:

·
Bad Azz M 60 / Proud MM
1,173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

·
Just a rock & spear guy
1,333 Posts
well lets see.. I can put my cb back in my car and brodcast... illegally.. its over power because thats the way it was made.. do
IIRC the licensing "requirement" was dropped a long time ago, if not its free, (Just the cost of the stamp for mailing) as far as it being "made overpower" all CB's come from the factory limited to 5 watts. Can't get more power unless you have a seperate linear amp like uncleben03. A CB unit with SSB capabilites would be a better choice than one of the standard 40 channel ones.

Damn, I was just about to re-install my 250 watt amp back in my truck!
While a vehicle can't run a beam antenna ( Well, permantly mounted anyway...) you can set up a base station with a directional beam antenna you can do fairly well without a seperate amp.

If you chose to run a linear then the beam antenna can reduct the amount of interferance the amp causes.

OR you could just avoid all of the BS and get a TECH class ham license and a 2 meter rig. You'll have better range and a much clearer signal.

·
Living YOUR dreams!
648 Posts
"If you chose to run a linear then the beam antenna can reduce the amount of interferance the amp causes". Only in the directions to the side and rear of the antenna, even then depending on the design. Some homebrew antennas lack reflector elements to cut down on weight.
I run HAM with legal amps but CB strictly legal. I do have an amp for CB if the SHTF, so far I see no need to even bend the laws.
'Dirty' linears set off so many common household appliances, from garage door openers, to flourescent & touch lamps. My lil brother even came over a stereo that was turned off! Dad once blasted his crap over a church loudspeaker!
Some of it is about public safety. Growing up in open coal pit mining area, we saw many signs prohibiting transmitter use due to radio contolled detonators. A linear allows you to potentially kill folks at a greater distance. Some heavy equipment cranes and other rigs can be remotely controlled too. The danger is very real.
While most mishaps involve recievers that are too broadbanded they are still type accepted by the FCC. Perhaps they need to strengthen the laws governing those devices, since enforcement of transmission interference is so difficult to prove.
EDIT:
The one area where I'd probably break the law is by mounting a cell-phone 'killer' in my truck. But then too I'd be creating a hazard when folks are punching even more buttons, while driving, to reconnect.

·
Registered
233 Posts
The FCC blew it big time when they allocated 27 Mhz for Citizens Band(CB) and local business operations. The chose a band that when conditions are right, you can talk hundreds of miles on just a few watts. However when conditions are not right, you can not talk across town. So the FCCs goal in the 4 watts was to limit CB to 75 miles.

Now you have communications that really are only a couple of miles unless you can use a base antenna.

In my opinion, what they should have done, is same idea, but 150 Mhz. But allow 75 watts of power and FM instead of AM. Now you would have truly the distance limitation that the FCC was vying for in the first place. But given a reliable communication system for local use.

Anybody that has ever played with CB knows what "Skip" means. And the people that play with skip are alway trying to go a little further. IE more power. With 150 Mhz that temptation would be gone as sporadic E (which is where skip really comes from) would be so rare that only a few die hard individuals would be trying to work it. It is so rare that you might have conditions condusive to "skip" once every three or four years and it might only be open for a few minutes. Not enough to really work every night on in hopes of it occuring.

so in essence, I really place the blame on the FCC an organization that legally has no enforcement capabilities.

·
Grumpy Old Bastard
2,107 Posts
Dollar for dollar, a better antenna will out do a big amp any day. Also, with an amateur radio license you can have a 200' tower legally to put that antenna on top of.

If you want better coverage with a CB, get or build a big Yagi (beam) antenna. Do a search online for homebrew antennas and just change the frequency ranges to cover the band area you're interested in using.

I know of a group in Alaska that uses a transceiver called a Pixie II (google it) that puts out barely 100mw and they successfully work stations 375 miles away on a regular basis. (Anchorage to Fairbanks = 375 miles) All with a 9 volt battery, a $15.00 transceiver kit, and a long wire for an antenna. All tuned, you can definitely make the trip.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.