Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My buddy and I set out to conduct the new FBI Pistol Qualification Course at our local range with our daily carry pistols of choice Ruger LCPs (380 is not the best caliber but it is so darn easy to conceal). We both qualified with 48/60, which is the bare minimum standard for agents. I would consider us to be better than most at handguns and this proved challenging for us and pointed out some other key items to note.

1. A little pocket pistol with almost non-existent sights like the LCP is difficult to aim at targets from 15 yards and further.

2. Drawing a pistol needs to be practiced as much as shooting in order for you to become proficient as an armed individual.

3. Don't worry about finding your sights 5 yards and in, your point and shoot instincts are good enough at that range.

4. Magazine changes are difficult with any handgun that is not "last round hold open" or a revolver. Do not plan on reloading your CCW pistol during a firefight. Your better off running away after you run empty unless you have proper cover, practice it frequently, or carry one for duty purposes.

5. Training under a time constrain adds a tad of adrenaline to your system and better prepares you for using your weapon than training without a time constraint.

6. Invest in a shooter's timer to help you document and improve on your shot speed.

Please take the time to give me some feedback on this video or what you think of the FBI Pistol Qualification Course. Thanks guys.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Standards:

Target: QIT-99 silhouette
Ammunition: 60 rounds
Scoring: 1 point per hit
Qualification: 48/60 (80%) for agents; 54/60 (90%) for instructors

All fired from concealed carry (you will draw from your concealed holster).

Stage 1 is the only stage involving one-handed shooting. All other stages are shot two-handed.

STAGE I
Starting Point: 3 yards
Total Rounds: 12

3 rounds, 3 seconds, Strong Hand Only (STO)
3 rounds, 3 seconds, SHO
3 rounds SHO, switch hands, 3 rounds Weak chandler Only, 8 seconds

STAGE II
Starting Point: 5 yards
Total Rounds: 12

3 rounds, 3 seconds
3 rounds, 3 seconds
3 rounds, 3 seconds
3 rounds, 3 seconds

STAGE III
Starting Point: 7 yards
Total Rounds: 16

4 rounds, 4 seconds
4 rounds, 4 seconds
Start with only 4 rounds in the gun (1 in the chamber, 3 in the magazine). 4 rounds; empty gun (emergency) reload; 4 more rounds; 8 seconds

STAGE IV
Starting Point: 15 yards
Total Rounds: 10

3 rounds, 6 seconds
3 rounds, 6 seconds
4 rounds, 8 seconds

STAGE V
Starting Point: 25 yards
Total Rounds: 10

Move to cover; 3 rounds standing; kneel, 2 rounds; 15 seconds
again

·
Snacks
91 Posts
The FBI Q target used today is about half the size of the one in the video. I'll try and post a picture. My buddy gave me some.

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
My buddy and I set out to conduct the new FBI Pistol Qualification Course at our local range with our daily carry pistols of choice Ruger LCPs (380 is not the best caliber but it is so darn easy to conceal). We both qualified with 48/60, which is the bare minimum standard for agents. I would consider us to be better than most at handguns and this proved challenging for us and pointed out some other key items to note.

1. A little pocket pistol with almost non-existent sights like the LCP is difficult to aim at targets from 15 yards and further.

2. Drawing a pistol needs to be practiced as much as shooting in order for you to become proficient as an armed individual.

3. Don't worry about finding your sights 5 yards and in, your point and shoot instincts are good enough at that range.

4. Magazine changes are difficult with any handgun that is not "last round hold open" or a revolver. Do not plan on reloading your CCW pistol during a firefight. Your better off running away after you run empty unless you have proper cover, practice it frequently, or carry one for duty purposes.

5. Training under a time constrain adds a tad of adrenaline to your system and better prepares you for using your weapon than training without a time constraint.

6. Invest in a shooter's timer to help you document and improve on your shot speed.

Please take the time to give me some feedback on this video or what you think of the FBI Pistol Qualification Course. Thanks guys.
Magazine changes are difficult no matter what without enough practice to develop muscle memory (hint: the lesson here is to practice more, not "don't reload"). If you can get away, why would you be shooting? Why would you reload WITHOUT COVER anyway?

·
statists' be statin'
3,425 Posts
The FBI Q target used today is about half the size of the one in the video. I'll try and post a picture. My buddy gave me some.
If I remember, the type Q is 17" wide at the shoulders and 23" tall. They're also shaped like a bowling pin. These targets appear to be much larger than that.

But, the FBI isn't expected to qualify with a gun that only has a 2-1/2" barrel and a grip that only fits two fingers.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Magazine changes are difficult no matter what without enough practice to develop muscle memory (hint: the lesson here is to practice more, not "don't reload"). If you can get away, why would you be shooting? Why would you reload WITHOUT COVER anyway?
Agreed, I was being a bit sarcastic. I was just noting that mag changes are both difficult and timely.

·
Snacks
91 Posts
@maintenanceguy. True. It's 12" wide and 26" long. They only have to qual with their issued (most have the G22 or G23) and any personal weapon they wish to carry. Most have to qual with the G26 or G27 as personally owned weapons. I've shot the old qual and their swat pistol qual several times too. Both are good courses.

·
ΙΧΘΥΣ
9,746 Posts
+1 on the timer. Santa brought me one for Christmas. :)

Congratulations! You did great. Looks like fun.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts