Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Look Behind You!!
1,586 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How can it be that the FBI is thinking that Hackers pose more of a threat than terrorists? I first heard this on the morning news today.

I think with the world dependancy on computers now days is very scary. I am so sick of hearing about this "paperless society" If we depend more and more on computers we are in big trouble. This country is so open to a terrorist-hacker attack it scares the heck out of me.

I had a virus on our computer at home that totally destroyed our hard drive. I even brought it to our I.T. guy at work who is a computer genius and he told me that he's been fighting these kind of viruses more now than ever.

"FBI chief warns Congress that hackers will become greatest national security threat."
http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...S1RsxTV8Sx08AQTNw&sig2=2Dt_DyB7duSYIVOTdZ1O6w

·
3,649 Posts
seems to me that they would have learned by now that if they want their stuff kept private, they would have a separate system for government stuff. computers used for national intelligence and storing military secrets should not be connected to the internet. the stuff i want kept secret is not on this computer which is connected to the internet.

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
How can it be that the FBI is thinking that Hackers pose more of a threat than terrorists? I first heard this on the morning news today.

I think with the world dependancy on computers now days is very scary. I am so sick of hearing about this "paperless society" If we depend more and more on computers we are in big trouble. This country is so open to a terrorist-hacker attack it scares the heck out of me.

I had a virus on our computer at home that totally destroyed our hard drive. I even brought it to our I.T. guy at work who is a computer genius and he told me that he's been fighting these kind of viruses more now than ever.

"FBI chief warns Congress that hackers will become greatest national security threat."
http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...S1RsxTV8Sx08AQTNw&sig2=2Dt_DyB7duSYIVOTdZ1O6w
Keep in mind that "hackers" aren't pimple faced teen boys playing pranks any longer. We're talking entire NATIONS, our enemies, out to get us via computer. It's the new warfare. The Chinese especially have been mapping our networks, and like dummies, we have everything connected to the net. Sometimes I think that TPTB WANT our nation to fail, they're trying so hard at it. The thing is, once there's no more America, it's not just Joe Schmo who's gonna die, but virtually everybody who doesn't have a bunker that's self-contained. Unless something's changed, I don't think that even the POTUS has a bunker that can be isolated from the world outside forever. As for the virus on your computer, it's likely Russian organized crime, which is different from a govt. The goal with them is to get your credit card #, then drain the card. The thing is, they just waste that money on luxuries.

·
Look Behind You!!
1,586 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Keep in mind that "hackers" aren't pimple faced teen boys playing pranks any longer. We're talking entire NATIONS, our enemies, out to get us via computer. It's the new warfare. The Chinese especially have been mapping our networks, and like dummies, we have everything connected to the net. Sometimes I think that TPTB WANT our nation to fail, they're trying so hard at it. The thing is, once there's no more America, it's not just Joe Schmo who's gonna die, but virtually everybody who doesn't have a bunker that's self-contained. Unless something's changed, I don't think that even the POTUS has a bunker that can be isolated from the world outside forever. As for the virus on your computer, it's likely Russian organized crime, which is different from a govt. The goal with them is to get your credit card #, then drain the card. The thing is, they just waste that money on luxuries.
Great point. See... The thing that scares me is virtually everything is stored in servers somewhere. All it would take is a large group of hackers to get into our financial system and shut it down or gain control of a number of large bank systems and it's financially game over. Not to mention hackers gaining controll of our power grid like in this video:

·
Those were the days....
4,542 Posts
Not only the hackers, but our total dependance on computers. EVERYTHING these days has a microprocessor in it and is linked to everything else that does. Think SKYNET.

Attachments

·
Professional Lurker
4,105 Posts
A computer crash like that is why I now back up everything onto 2 separate external hard drives. I keep one of them plugged into the computer to transfer at will, the 2nd one is only hooked up when I'm actually transferring something to it. That way no matter what, if my system crashes I have a backup on a drive not connected to the computer.
500 gig hard drives are getting so cheap there's really excuse to not have at least one.

·
Look Behind You!!
1,586 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Considering that there hasn't been much of a real threat from terrorism ever, just about anything qualifies as more of a threat. More people die in car accidents every month than died in 9/11.
I hear what your saying but, the point is that we have become so dependant on computers today more than ever. Car accidents are tragic and that is what they are, accidents. You can't compare car accidents to a successful hacker attack on our financial system.

The company I work for has, in just a few years, become so much dependant on computers it's not even funny. Almost ALL the paperwork we do for the State is now done online. Five years it was print, sign, send or fax. Not today. That's within a few years, and just one example.

·
... --- ...
14,874 Posts
How can it be that the FBI is thinking that Hackers pose more of a threat than terrorists?

You answered you own question in your next statements ;). The degree that we depend on computers makes us phenominally vulnerable, because these days, for better or for worse, our entire lives revolve around the stupid things.
They're kinda like tractor-trailer trucks in this respect, if those things are removed from the equation, our way of life almost completely shuts down in 72 hours.
I've long felt that the whole terrorist threat was hugely overblown, and largely used to further clamp down on civil liberties, but I've been adversely affected by intentional "computer issues" numerous times in the past few years.
I gotta agree with the Federal B. I. on this one. :D:

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
Well they would know, since they do it themselves.

http://www.foxnews.com/printer_friendly_story/0,3566,324547,00.html

CIA: Hackers Shut Down Foreign Power Grid

Wednesday, January 23, 2008
AP

WASHINGTON — Hackers literally turned out the lights in multiple cities after breaking into electrical utilities and demanding extortion payments before disrupting the power, a senior CIA analyst told utility engineers at a trade conference.

All the break-ins occurred outside the United States, said senior CIA analyst Tom Donahue. The U.S. government believes some of the hackers had inside knowledge to cause the outages.

Donahue did not specify what countries were affected, when the outages occurred or how long the outages lasted. He said they happened in "several regions outside the United States."

"In at least one case, the disruption caused a power outage affecting multiple cities," Donahue said in a statement. "We do not know who executed these attacks or why, but all involved intrusions through the Internet."

A CIA spokesman Friday declined to provide additional details.

"The information that could be shared in a public setting was shared," said spokesman George Little. "These comments were simply designed to highlight to the audience the challenges posed by potential cyber intrusions."

Donahue spoke earlier this week at the Process Control Security Summit in New Orleans, a gathering of engineers and security managers for energy and water utilities.

[There has been "a huge increase in focused attacks on our national infrastructure networks"in the past year and a half, "and they have been coming from outside the United States," cybersecurity expert Ralph Logan told the Washington Post in commenting on the CIA assessment.

Logan told the Post that the coordinated attacks came from foreign governments or militaries, not terrorist groups.

In late November, the security firm McAfee singled out China for risking a "cyber Cold War" by probing other countries' Internet security, including a Pentagon network and other Western government agencies.

A few days later, the British government warned major banks and other financial institutions that Chinese military hackers had targeted their networks.

Russian hackers have been blamed for shutting down neighboring Estonia's Internet access for several days last spring, but those efforts, while possibly green-lit by the Russian government, were considered the work of disorganized volunteers.

By contrast, experts believe Chinese cyberattacks have been orchestrated by the People's Liberation Army.]

The Bush administration is increasingly worried about the little-understood risks from hackers to the specialized electronic equipment that operates power, water and chemical plants.

In a test last year, the Homeland Security Department produced a video showing commands quietly triggered by simulated hackers having such a violent reaction that an enormous generator shudders as it flies apart and belches black-and-white smoke.

The recorded demonstration, called the "Aurora Generator Test," was conducted in March by government researchers investigating a dangerous vulnerability in computers at U.S. utility companies known as supervisory control and data acquisition systems.

The programming flaw was fixed, and equipment makers urged utilities to take protective measures.

Watch this movie, then you will get it.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0337978/

http://blogs.csoonline.com/hacking_power_feds_promise_smart_grid_security

·
Registered
639 Posts
I hear what your saying but, the point is that we have become so dependant on computers today more than ever. Car accidents are tragic and that is what they are, accidents. You can't compare car accidents to a successful hacker attack on our financial system.

The company I work for has, in just a few years, become so much dependant on computers it's not even funny. Almost ALL the paperwork we do for the State is now done online. Five years it was print, sign, send or fax. Not today. That's within a few years, and just one example.
I'm thinking of that short paper titled something like, "When trucks stop, America stops". That paper was geared towards fuel, but if the internet is cut off, alot of those orders are given and stored on computers and servers accessed via the internet. All of our financial/bank records and medical records are kept on computers, and while back-ups are occasionally kept as a hard file, it would be more difficult to get and verify in the same time they can over the computer. It's difficult to get ahold of some people in business without an e-mail address, not everyone gives out a phone number to reach them anymore. In the next 5 years, provided we don't alter our technological course, this will only get worse.

Even chaos in the first 24 hours of losing all contact with those outside servers and critical records would mean 24 hours without deliveries of any kind(or most of them). Remember that grocery stores have only a couple days in stock at any given time, even a 24 hour delay cuts that stock down tremendously, and that's assuming that it was only a brief delay. There would come a point in time where they would care less about getting paid to the correct invoice and more about delivering food and goods, but that point would arrive after alot of damage was already done.

·
Look Behind You!!
1,586 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Actually nobody has ever been killed by a hacker, terrorists, the FBI they kill people, remember Waco?
Really? The discussion is about Computer hacking threat.

Hackers attacking this country successfully, would account for thousands, hundred of thousands and maybe millions of deaths. Think about it. Our financial banking system is hacked by outside, very skilled hackers. You as well as millions across the country go to use their ATM card and, nothing! What do you thing would happen next? Bank runs? Looting? Panic? The sky is the limit as far as what would happen if people across this country can't do one simple thing........... Get their damn' money out of their bank.

One thing... No money available to give you, me and the rest of the population because some slime bag hacking Melita has found a way to shut our financial system down. Even if it was shut down for only a matter of a couple days this very well could happen

If you read some of the posts above about what could happen if this country in the event of a massive computer hack you would come to realize that this threat is real. We are not talking about the FBI and Waco. That's another thread for another time.

·
Avoidance & Deterrence
2,832 Posts
Actually this thread is about the FBI saying that hackers are a threat.

My response is that the FBI is a threat.

Do you remember the utter devastation/TEOTWAWKI on Y2K? Not a threat.

Do you remember the FBI murders at Waco? 80 Men, women and little children burned to death in a church? Threat.

Pay attention!

·
Look Behind You!!
1,586 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Actually this thread is about the FBI saying that hackers are a threat.

My response is that the FBI is a threat.

Do you remember the utter devastation/TEOTWAWKI on Y2K? Not a threat.

Do you remember the FBI murders at Waco? 80 Men, women and little children burned to death in a church? Threat.

Pay attention!
Ok. Pay attention?
The FBI are the only entity on the entire world saying hackers are a threat? From what I gather is that yes, you hate the FBI. Your views of government in whole is that THEY are the threat. Ok, I get that.

As I try to "pay attention" as you put it, I am trying to wrap my brain around the fact that you don't get the simple fact that it's not just the FBI saying that terror hacking is the threat it's EVERYWHERE!!

Forget the freaking FBI. Take them out of the erasion if you possibly can for a second.

Here are a few more that thing HACKING IS A THREAT:http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...a8OpObF5Gf2any4Dw&sig2=vMbhDMOM48XEKLWAJea8BA
http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...ijsyfLalJfgpsRkLw&sig2=TbbvfuUwNumCd1GKQ6lIPg
http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...kZgxsDCKXaq46vSmg&sig2=byTziXdjs1XnuNvTeR2k2Q
http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...R3F4h0tyomtOM2gzA&sig2=_SCd3_F76K2FVwBkE0sefg
http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...lMxFdNvAKp5WvnBag&sig2=C9CzqxKi_ASavZ-TiGUg6A
http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...he9Nr80zlB7IXLpiQ&sig2=mHZP8EMgVzgCDg3t-HuYKw

Kinda get the point? Not just the FBI?

And a couple more...http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...UP1PdxX6THc1uz6Zg&sig2=gY8V_xg_Je9etxMJ2u-GzQ
http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...G150XJ852btyMZLmw&sig2=f0q9TRzd8qwNWv0RoL5nbQ

These are people OTHER THAN the FBI that understand the threat of Computer Hacking in today's world.

By the way... Bill Clinton gave the orders to the Combat Applications Group of Fort Bragg, N.C. to go ahead with the mission because of the standoff with the FBI... Waco was an utter tragedy to say the least but, to blame it on the FBI only is incorrect.

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
The Government is less of a threat in some ways, and higher in others. Hacking a bank can be fixed in a few hours, trust me I know about this. The real problem, the real threat is hitting the grid and causing a chain reaction. Remember that time when power was off for weeks in California? If enough of the power is screwed up, it will take months to get it back on, if it ever comes back on, and then all bets are off, it is a fire sale.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts