Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Founder
16,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This past sunday I had the chance to do some fishing at a local lake. It has been years since I have done any lake fishing. Most of the time my kids and I go fishing in small ponds for perch.

As I walked along the grass flat, I was using a tiny torpedo, and those kentucky bass were hitting it right and left. I only caught one bass, and it was released. If I would have had a mini torpedo instead of a tiny, I might have caught more fish. The tiny torpedo seemed to big for the bass that were hitting it.

The tiny torpedo is my all time favorite top water lure. The one I was using sunday was green and silver.

·
Elitist Gun Snob
1,365 Posts
My favorite topwater lure of all time has got to be the Rebel Pop-r! Caught dozens of fish on it, it's older than dirt, and it's pretty much the best all around top water plug I've ever tied to a line. Always produces the fish if they're there!

·
Registered
491 Posts
I usually worm fish with watermelonseed finesse worms, but if I do topwater fish my favorite plug is a Smithwicks Devils Horse.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Amen to the Rebel Pop-R! :D When I lived in Missouri, I'd use one for night fishing on the Big Piney River. The smallmouth would tear that thing up in early spring! I'd catch ones as small as 12" and as big as 20" off the same size. Every once in a while, I'd nail a goggleeye or green sunfish with it too. lol
Boy do I miss the Ozarks!

·
Registered
5,618 Posts
I like to use the Yum Ribbit Frog rigged weedless with a 4/0 hook. Its heavy enough to cast pretty good, soft and supple so fish will hammer it then hold on, unless you wrap it around a tree limb about as weedless a top water bait as I have found, kicks up a good bit of racket as it popps and gruggles across the surface. Works great in weed beds or shallow submerged weeds.

I initially wasnt to excited about this bait as I am kinda old school and dont fall for the trick of the week too often. But after watching an old salt work these, I was hooked!

·
Modern Day Nessmuk
483 Posts
I usually use Little frog lures, Works for Bullhead quite nicely. I also usually use little crayfish. The Trout, Bullhead, Sunfish and Bass flock to them. I'm a 10 minute bike-ride from a HUGE bass fishing lake. Pro's often fish this lake. (Lake Champlain.) Bass fishing is a huge thing up here. I use crayfish, and pull in the bass like a champ.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Where in Missouri? I lived in Willow Springs and Springfield before moving to St. Louis
Just outside the east gate of Fort Leonard Wood. There is a parking area near Spring Creek and a little trail to follow. You'll find Spring Creek runs right into the Big Piney River. Fish there from March till June at 6:30 PM until 10 PM with one of those Rebel poppers. I consistently caught big bass there.
I'd love to move back, but I seem stuck in the state of Texas for now :(

·
Registered
4,090 Posts
I usually use Little frog lures, Works for Bullhead quite nicely. I also usually use little crayfish. The Trout, Bullhead, Sunfish and Bass flock to them. I'm a 10 minute bike-ride from a HUGE bass fishing lake. Pro's often fish this lake. (Lake Champlain.) Bass fishing is a huge thing up here. I use crayfish, and pull in the bass like a champ.
Largemouth or Smallmouth? I've dived rivers where the smallmouth follow along like a pack of dogs,and the dart in when I kick up the bottom,and grab crayfish.At the right time of year,theres spots off Pte AuxBarques,Mi.where the smallmouth will school in the hundreds,big and small ones.

·
Premium Member
6,848 Posts
I've never fished for large or smallmouth bass but for me these 3 are excellent if expensive lures.

Yo Zuri Mag Popper in 5/8oz (they do a larger 1oz version as well).
Storm Chug Bug 1oz (they make a smaller 1/3oz as well).
Lucky Craft Sammy (they make various sizes).

As was said before Arbogast make good surface lures as do Rebel.

Plastic frogs with a weed guard are cheap and successful around lilly pads for summertime pike.

Spinnerbaits can be fished sub-surface (or in any part of the water column if counted down) and they're fairly weedless too.

·
Founder
16,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
A couple of pictures of my tackle box and me with my fish. After doing some fishing this past weekend, I realized how low on tackle I am.

The wind was not too bad when I started fishing, but it picked up a little bit later on. The tiny tropedos were doing pretty good along the grass. From where I was standing to the tee line was around 200 feet.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 50 Posts