Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
757 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm on the hunt for a tactical flashlight for a rifle. Any good ones out there that'll blind any intruders? Which ones do you like and why?

·
Registered
96 Posts
unfortunately ist surefire and noting else

pricey but so are good guins and goo ammo

not being cute we are a tractcal training company working all over the place
its all we carry and use

u cant do any beeter and its ALL i woulld bet my life on

jumper

·
+Adcock
3,102 Posts
What firearm? What range/environment do you with to illuminate? What times of day/situations are you looking at using it?

Do you like using commonly found batteries? Exotics? Rechargeables?

Are you clumsy or dexterous? What else is hanging off of this firearm?

How much have you budgeted?

·
OathKeeper
535 Posts
Extremebeam. Voted best flashlight under $300. For $50!! Weapon mountable recoil proof up to and including .50 cal full auto! Bright light to 300+ yards. Guaranteed against war abuse. You won't find a beeter light for your guin.

·
Registered
9,996 Posts
I run a surefire m600c. It's much more potent than raw data suggests due to the tir optic. My other lights have included:
X300
M300a
Surefire 6p led
Surefire drop ins from malkoff including m60,m60w,m61w, mce-w.
Surefire drop ins from nailbender: xml, sst90,sst50,xpg,nichia 219.
Surefire 971

I still run an m600c, stock, in a larue offset mount.

·
+Adcock
3,102 Posts
We really can't recommend a light unless he tells us what it is for.

"Rifle" is not a good enough description. If it is a fully automatic .50 BMG mounted on a turret in his hallway that would be a different light than a Mossberg 500 or a 10/22.

Also, if he does or does not have rails/mount points that will make a difference on what solutions will work. Just about any quality modern 1" LED flashlight with an offset mount and at least 120-160 lumens will handle light recoiling platforms for a fraction of the cost of a Surefire as long as you use lightweight batteries (read: Lithium).

·
Crusty Curmudgeon
1,390 Posts
None.

I don't think a flashlight is a good idea on a rifle. Shotgun? Maybe. But only if it was a dedicated combat shotgun and there was a switching mechanism I could control without moving my hands from firing position. Even then, I am not sure if it is a good idea.

I cannot think of a reason why I would want to hang one off of a rifle. If I draw tunnel rat duty, I will be working with a handgun.

·
Registered
9,996 Posts
None.

I don't think a flashlight is a good idea on a rifle. Shotgun? Maybe. But only if it was a dedicated combat shotgun and there was a switching mechanism I could control without moving my hands from firing position. Even then, I am not sure if it is a good idea.

I cannot think of a reason why I would want to hang one off of a rifle. If I draw tunnel rat duty, I will be working with a handgun.
Sometimes things need shot during the other half of the earth's rotation.

·
Registered
9,996 Posts
Yep and if you are shining a light at rifle ranges, that thing is probably going to be you.
I have had numerous occasions where a light would have been helpful. I didn't always live in the city, nor do I plan on staying in it. If you ever move somewhere rural where there are vermin, coyote, hogs, etc. you will see what I mean. Very useful to have a light. My M600C is viable out to about 75-100 yards for things like that.

·
Plays best, alone
4,916 Posts
I don't have a need for a light on a rifle, where I am. It would most likely get me branded as a poacher. Shotgun or pistol maybe, but most times I'd rather it be in my hand. I'm not going to be taking any shots at 100 yds or more after sunset anyway. That's probably why others have objected. Your mileage may very, your rifle your choice.

·
Registered
9,996 Posts
I don't have a need for a light on a rifle, where I am. It would most likely get me branded as a poacher. Shotgun or pistol maybe, but most times I'd rather it be in my hand. I'm not going to be taking any shots at 100 yds or more after sunset anyway. That's probably why others have objected. Your mileage may very, your rifle your choice.
Many states allow the hunting of hogs, etc. after dark. Check your state laws for sure!!!

·
Dirty or clean.Wet or dry
2,016 Posts
None.

Home defense. Weapon selection is entirely dependent upon the individual's perceived needs and location.

·
Registered
9,996 Posts
No doubt that Surefire makes the best but I think the Scout and Mini-Scout are over-priced. LED no matter what. So much stronger. You can split the difference by using a Surefire G2X Tactical in a off set mount by NC Star, then it will keep it economical, with a quality light in an acceptable mount. Replace the cheap screws if you can.

http://ncstar.com/scripts/prodView.asp?idproduct=615
No doubt the SCOUT is over-priced, but I really like the body-keyed mount with an offset LaRue QD attachment. The G2X is a great light, but the older 6P's are king in so much as you can run any module you want in them. I have modules ranging from 260 OTF lumens to well over 500 OTF lumens for my 6P, and love it.

LaRue makes a mount for the Surefire lights that won't require the screws to be replaced, etc. Same for Vltor and many others.

·
Registered
5,163 Posts
My point was the Scout is 4 times the price of a G2X in a NC Star mount. The two lights do the same job with the same power output.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts