Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
CHANGE Is Inevitable...
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I live in AZ and I regularly get out to do camping/survival excursions. I highly prefer remote areas that are off the beaten path and have little if any traditional "weekend warrior camper" traffic.

Do you know of any good areas for this? Preferably within a few hours of the Phoenix area?

Feel free to private message me if you'd prefer not to give away your favorite place to the whole forum. I'm simply looking for some kindred spirits who know that there is more than enough remote land to be found in this great state.

Thanks in advance!

As an example...One of my favorites is only accessible with a 4 x 4, but at times it does have a tendency to attract a lot of UTVs for that reason. That being said, when I look for places to explore I really like to be left alone to see what resources are available in the areas undisturbed state. This way I know what's reasonable for a potential extended or indefinite stay in a SHTF scenario.

What do you do regularly to actively seek out potential BOLs?

This is one of my favorite parts of prepping and I haven't found a lot of others who consistently do research and field practice in the areas they would potentially be bugging out to. I'm guessing that's not the case in this forum.

·
Registered
3,921 Posts
I live in AZ and I regularly get out to do camping/survival excursions. I highly prefer remote areas that are off the beaten path and have little if any traditional "weekend warrior camper" traffic.

Do you know of any good areas for this? Preferably within a few hours of the Phoenix area?

Thanks in advance!

One of my favorites is Sheep's Crossing b/c you can't get in there w/o a 4 x 4, but it does attract a lot of UTVs for that reason. I like to be able to shoot and be left alone to see what resources are available in the areas undisturbed state. This way I know what's reasonable for a potential extended or indefinite stay in a SHTF scenario.

What do you do regularly to actively seek out potential BOLs?

This is one of my favorite parts of prepping and I haven't found a lot of others who consistently do research and field practice in the areas they would potentially be bugging out to. I'm guessing that's not the case in this forum.
I guess that is because there is no "reasonable" potential for bugging out to the woods for extended SHTF. A good way to starve to death. Unless you put all your food/material/tools out there before the SHTF. You cannot go back to the "mountain man days" and live off the land. Things today are not the same. A BOL should be stocked with everything you might need for that extended time. If it does not, it's not prepping. It's just a planning failure. The only BOL we plan on is going by truck to family in another state, so we don't "regularly" or "actively" seek out other locations. Due to health we will not/cannot BO on foot.

·
CHANGE Is Inevitable...
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
*ahem* OPSEC, friend.
Fair enough. I mistakenly thought this would potentially be a safe place for these types of discussions because of the type of people present. I see now that even in a forum for fellow survivalists I will need to seek out specific individuals to interact with about this sort of thing and not divulge as much information in the future. Thanks for the heads up grant80

·
CHANGE Is Inevitable...
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I guess that is because there is no "reasonable" potential for bugging out to the woods for extended SHTF. A good way to starve to death. Unless you put all your food/material/tools out there before the SHTF. You cannot go back to the "mountain man days" and live off the land. Things today are not the same. A BOL should be stocked with everything you might need for that extended time. If it does not, it's not prepping. It's just a planning failure. The only BOL we plan on is going by truck to family in another state, so we don't "regularly" or "actively" seek out other locations. Due to health we will not/cannot BO on foot.
I can appreciate your concern and where you are coming from and I agree that this is not something that is possible for the typical prepper. As you said, prepping is stocking up on the things that you will need for an extended period of time.

As someone who has made extended stays in the wilderness for months at a time on several occasions I assure you that with the proper skills and mental preparation one can very certainly survive and thrive off of what the land can provide.

Granted...I don't advocate everyone go about it in this way because most people would certainly be planning for failure as you said. However, I am confident that there are other people here who also have the necessary skills and tools to do so...paired with the belief that the further away from civilization you can get and the deeper you can go into the wilderness the safer you will ultimately be in a SHTF scenario.

I have an ideal place that I would love to go to on a family ranch in another state also, but I'm not going to count on interstate travel as being my only option.

·
Registered
5,316 Posts
The problem is that survivalistboards is so well integrated with google's search engines that all someone would have to do is type "Sheep's Crossing" and maybe one other search term and this thread will pop up in the top three results. I've repeatedly googled things that I read about in a thread here in order to find out more information, and one of the first google entries ends up being the SB thread that I started with. Then you have all the information you divulged in your post served up for the person to read. Remember, this is not some esoteric forum. It's in the top results of millions of search engine inquiries.

ABR, I'm in central AZ too, but I don't have a 4x4 so I'm limited as to where I can explore. My only gameplan for bugging out will be to get up north out of the valley into one of the national forests--Tonto, Coconino, or Apache Sitgreaves--preferably near a body of water. I would probably be semi-nomadic anyways, wondering about to secure new resources. There's no one specific place that's necessarily better than the others, since the topography and eco-regions are so expansive in those areas. Any place is as good as the next in that sense. Even if you found a "honey hole" there is a chance someone else might know about it too. Then you'd have to worry about competing for that area and possible violence and drama. I'd rather just do like the natives and live in a vast area with a large range of operation, rather than commit to one certain spot on the map.

·
CHANGE Is Inevitable...
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The problem is that survivalistboards is so well integrated with google's search engines that all someone would have to do is type "Sheep's Crossing" and maybe one other search term and this thread will pop up in the top three results. I've repeatedly googled things that I read about in a thread here in order to find out more information, and one of the first google entries ends up being the SB thread that I started with. Then you have all the information you divulged in your post served up for the person to read. Remember, this is not some esoteric forum. It's in the top results of millions of search engine inquiries.

ABR, I'm in central AZ too, but I don't have a 4x4 so I'm limited as to where I can explore. My only gameplan for bugging out will be to get up north out of the valley into one of the national forests--Tonto, Coconino, or Apache Sitgreaves--preferably near a body of water. I would probably be semi-nomadic anyways, wondering about to secure new resources. There's no one specific place that's necessarily better than the others, since the topography and eco-regions are so expansive in those areas. Any place is as good as the next in that sense. Even if you found a "honey hole" there is a chance someone else might know about it too. Then you'd have to worry about competing for that area and possible violence and drama. I'd rather just do like the natives and live in a vast area with a large range of operation, rather than commit to one certain spot on the map.
Great point ninjasurvivor...it makes even more sense when you put it that way. Even among friends...when we are on the internet we are always exposed.

I definitely agree with what you're saying. Your thoughts and your plan are very much like mine with regard to what AZ and the vast national forests here have to offer. In fact, that's the exact reason for the planning and exploring that I'm doing. The more places I experience now and become familiar with, the more options I'll have when the time comes to leave the city.

As you mentioned...knowing you have a reliable source of water is what's important so that's what I seek out...knowing that wherever we flee to we are still in some form of desert...water is the one thing we must be able to readily find and process.

Thanks for your input. I appreciate it

·
CHANGE Is Inevitable...
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I was born there. I loved the Mogollon Rim area around Payson.
Thanks Charlie!

I also like that area very much and actually was just up there last weekend exploring water sources and a couple of the harder to get to trails. With quite a few year round water sources and the shear amount of national forest there it is definitely a place one could reasonably disappear from the nearby population centers.

·
CHANGE Is Inevitable...
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Been some years since i've been but I remember that at the end of Sabino Canyon there was a trail up Mt Lemmon. (or down to Sabino canyon as it were...)

http://hikearizona.com/decoder.php?ZTN=2340

I'd like to do that myself one of these days, should i make it back down that way.

Good Luck!
Thanks Post18guy!

Definitely looks like a good place to explore and I really appreciate you including the link.

I hope you're thoroughly enjoying OR. I grew up there and it makes me much more aware of the importance of finding a good water source down here in AZ. As you know...water is very abundant in most parts of OR so it's always been on my mind since moving down here.

·
Bushidoka
2,902 Posts
And It Sure as Hell Ain't All Desert!

Although I see your point that is a pretty big desert out there. It's not like the guy gave his cross streets.
Although I am more familiar with the northern part of the state, and there are way more people living there now than when I first lived there, some of the population is seasonal, and much of it is quite concentrated.

There is quite a bit of public and reservation land where some number of hardy people could undoubtedly blend in and sustain themselves year round. (My mother at one time taught on the Navaho reserve, hiked it extensively, and spoke Navaho reasonably well; if she had decided to herd sheep, I don't think anyone would have complained!)

Keep in mind, though,that since a lot of the best water is above 6000 ft, it helps if you don't mind winter!

And I hear there is free & all season pig hunting in the NW corner, though I have not checked this out.

·
Registered
3,921 Posts
Things showing up on Google is not the only opsec problem. These boards are certainly monitored by all sorts of LEOs. State, local yokels, Feds of all stripes like DHS, BLM, Natpark Service, etc etc. Granted they will not be interested in one guy in the woods, unless a local gets notified. Then he might want to be a hero to the bosses. Just pays to be careful these days.

·
Registered
115 Posts
I think some of it depends on just how bad your wanted -
If they're looking for you for 32 unpaid parking tickets in LA, I wouldn't think you'd have much to worry about anywhere but if its more serious then how hard they look for you would increase proportionately.

There is no question about maintaining OPSEC, but the best OPSEC is not to give anybody a reason to come looking...

·
Registered
5,316 Posts
I think some of it depends on just how bad your wanted -
If they're looking for you for 32 unpaid parking tickets in LA, I wouldn't think you'd have much to worry about anywhere but if its more serious then how hard they look for you would increase proportionately.

There is no question about maintaining OPSEC, but the best OPSEC is not to give anybody a reason to come looking...
I didn't think that OPSEC was about people looking for you. I thought it was about revealing a potential target of opportunity.

·
Registered
115 Posts
I think it could be both -
There is definitely the aspect of "Target of opportunity", Though after watching too many old War movies where the good guys escape from POW camps - the idea that someone may come looking for you can not be under stated.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts