Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey everyone,
I was wondering if you had (owned, used, etc) a favorite gas mask or other similar protective device/equipment? do you have other non-favorites?
What model? how much would you pay/expect others to pay for it? would you recommend it?
ALSO have you used it in any sort of situation which would reliably test its capabilities? how did it hold up?

there was a poll a while back that got some responses, which i have gone through, http://www.survivalistboards.com/showthread.php?t=7658
but i just wanted to take another stab at the question to see if i could get some more responses

part of the reason that prompted this was looking at this site:
http://www.nationalterroralert.com/gasmasks/

While I'm not 100% on the reliability of the site, its enough for me to be skeptical and ask the opinions of those in the know

thanks in advance for the responses
Kid_M

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
The Israeli M15 is good, takes the NATO filter and comes in children’s sizes. readily available too.

Not a major treat from a rural perspective but there are enough of the various police gasses around that could be used against you to force you out of your retreat without ruining your coveted supplies.

·
Registered
50 Posts
The Israeli M15 is good, takes the NATO filter and comes in children’s sizes. readily available too.

Not a major treat from a rural perspective but there are enough of the various police gasses around that could be used against you to force you out of your retreat without ruining your coveted supplies.
+1 on the kid sizes!

·
Registered
252 Posts
The Israeli M-15 is one of my favorite. Of course I have a soft spot in my heart for the Canadian C-3 and now the C-4 (I trained with the C-3) and the C-4 is apparently one heck of a good piece of kit. Buying one new is another story though.
Get the Israeli M-15, it's worth the money and more.

·
Registered
839 Posts
I personally have a 3M model 6000 gas mask, in which was supplied by my agency. Cost around $200. However, this mask will accept the CBRN cartridges as well as the standard N95 filters, it will also convert to a PAPR (powered air purified respirator), which proably not what you need, but still nice for what I will be doing like DECON operations and such. The thing you need to be mindful of when purchasing the Isralei, Canadian, and Military discontinued versions are the lack of cartridges being available, most of those cartridges/filters are not rated for CBRN protection, and check expirations.

papr picture.jpg
3M 6000 Mask.jpg

·
I love this *****
Very Prepared!!
34,084 Posts
I'm a purchase agent for a welding supply company so I have access to lots of catalogs and vendors. One of our vendors is North Safety. We generally stock their dust masks and masks that filter welding fumes but they offer a wide array of masks. I just ordered two for myself and my wife. Following it the North Safety site:

http://northsafety.com/TriggerWorkf...ue&CDTID=a2de4ac6-0971-431d-ac14-d9496fd9b052

The nice thing about this mask is that the canister can be moved from one side of the mask to the other for those who need to aim a gun while wearing the mask. I also bought a 6-pack of the CBRN canisters.

·
I love this *****
Very Prepared!!
34,084 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
I have listed 2 of the ones I have had specific training and on the job experience below.

There are many different reputable types available and there is also a large amount of junk out there so be careful in your selection.

The military version of the below listed mask was an issue mask by my department and I can recommend it.

http://www.nbcsafety.com/3m-fr-m40CBRN.htm

The mask listed below in the next link is a very good one as well.

http://www.nbcsafety.com/scott-av3000.htm

Someone earlier stated that this is no area to skimp on prices and I will agree, what you want depends on your individual needs and some research of the different levels of protection along with a realistic vulnerability assessment will guide you in the correct direction.

When stalled and undecided as to which one to purchase, I would advocated to go the highest level you can afford as it is your life and your love ones lives you will be protecting.

One should also understand that these masks are dependent on the correct cannister filters for the situation encountered and this needs to be decided and available prior to use.

These filters do not last forever either and the length of time they will provide protection to your respiratory tract will depend on the weather, the PPM of the agent involved, the other particulates in the atmosphere, age of the filter, if the filter has been properly sealed, filter type and so on.

You should also take note that these masks and filters are designed to interface with a protective clothing ensemble that will for a period of time protect your skin from the contaminated atmosphere. This outer protective level has a specific time frame that it will protect you depending on the level you choose and the price you pay.

In the Haz Mat and WMD world the good protection will cost good money.

I have worn the above masks in various configurations in structural firefighting , Confined Space Rescue, Technician level Haz-Mat Team response and during live agent C.O.B.R.A. training at the C.D.P. in Anniston Alabama.

The products are great as long as the person donning them has the correct equipment to meet the scenario and a profecient level of training to master the selection, donning and doffing procedures.

TecRsq

North Ga.

·
Haha
3,407 Posts
Israeli M15. Tried and true and great for the price. Ditch the crappy private company masks as many are over priced $200+ and use special filters only available through that company. If you are going to get a mask make sure it accepts nato cannisters or military cheek filter because during a catastrophy those will be the ones available.

-Cade

1 - 11 of 11 Posts