Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Adventurer
655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I always like to here people's stories from the wild. Out there is such an untamed place that you can go out for a couple of hours and end up with a rewarding experience and good tale to tell. It got me thinking about the different times of the year we go camping and which has been my favorite. It's hard for me to say because I love the scent of the outdoors and the colors in spring, the energy and livelihood of everything going to and fro during the summer, the cool breezes, colorful leaves, and typical weather of autumn, and the coziness of rewarding yourself with a nice fire after a good days work/hike in the winter.

One of my favorite times in the outdoors, and thus my favorite season camping, was in the winter when a group of my family went out fairly deep into the N. Georgia woods and spent four nights. We hunted, fished, stayed warm, drank beer, and just all around had a great time. A beer by the campfire while eating trout fresh caught and cooked over said campfire is an experience unlike any other.

Anyway, share yours on here, I'm sure I'm not the only one who likes to hear about these things from time to time.

·
Subculture
1,031 Posts
Winter all the way. People and their noises they bring from the cities really get under my skin.

Reactions: twyggy

·
Registered
6,847 Posts
Spring and fall. Summer regularly hits 100 degrees plus out here.

Where I live we don't have winter. I have to drive a couple hours to get to it. Then there isn't a lot of good snow camping as the approaches to good camping areas are mostly gated.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Winter for me as well. I can go days without seeing people, don't need to worry about rain if it's 20 degrees below freezing, and the long nights mean I can get 12-14 hours of sleep without feeling guilty about wasting daylight.

·
Primeval Tendencies
83 Posts
It's a hard choice for me. I enjoy the temperature of summer, and the freedom to do such things as fish, get wet, ect.. But I also enjoy cold weather camping for the lack of other people I run into. I guess each has it's own reward..elaboration to come later as desired..too tired right now. :D:

·
City Survivior
576 Posts
Spring and fall. Summer regularly hits 100 degrees plus out here.

Where I live we don't have winter. I have to drive a couple hours to get to it. Then there isn't a lot of good snow camping as the approaches to good camping areas are mostly gated.
are you in the desert area?

·
Excelsior
101 Posts
I live in the north. My favorite camping times are late fall and early spring. It would be winter except that the short hours of daylight are kind of a pain.

·
Bear Magnet
3,801 Posts
No contest here. WINTER!!! I spent several years ski bumming and still miss that lifestyle. There is just no substitute for the solitude, the beauty, the clear air up in the mountains and the thrill of skiing in untouched waist deep Rocky Mountain powder.
I have forsaken most of the American dream to pursue the backcountry living. All of you can keep civilisation. I prefer my tent/teepee/snowcave and fire.

·
who? what? me? No!!!
654 Posts
fall. winter here is too cold for camping, summer is fine, but for just enjoyment purposes, fall.
still warm enough, yet cool nights, less bugs, good fishing

·
Registered
104 Posts
Anytime but summer, summer is my least favorite by far although the worst day in the woods is better than the best day in an office. Summer means my dog stays at home, any other time of year she's coming with me. Summer usually means more people. I'd rather throw on a few more layers than sweat all day profusely. Hotter weather = more mosquitoes as well.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Autumn, for all of the reasons already mentioned. My favorite temp, weather conditions, foliage, etc. Prime time for hunting/trapping as all the critters are stuffing themselves before winter sets in. Bugs start to die off and humidity drops with the daytime temp. Only downside is the shorter days. Fall is another season that brings out the sheeple, though. No matter, I'm headed into trailless wilderness to live in full survival. I camp with my son and the scouts. BTW, Hey Low, we need to do some winter camping to show the boys the cold. HAHA

Tracker Rick

·
Registered
6,847 Posts
When I used to live in Michigan the two best times of year for camping were May and Indian Summer. That's usually a warm spell in late October and early November, after the first killing frost, for those of you unfamiliar with the term.

·
Voluntaryist.
274 Posts
Fall and spring, but I do like a Mid-winter camp here and there. Being out in the mountains with snow on the ground...so quite...so nice.

·
Indefatigable
21,135 Posts
My dog can't go during summer, she overheats, but our fav camps are with her along.
Late fall, early winter. Less bugs, snakes and people.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts