Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im looking to expand my pantry when camping. I always end up thinking about fantastic meals I could have brought but forgot. I'm looking for meals that can be prepared on a camping stove, mine is the MSR whisperlite.

My favorite foods I always have are:
Pasta shells
Pancakes
Cheesy broccoli soup
Instant mashed potatoes
Cheese (goes with everything)
Flour (for small bread rolls)
All kinds of granola bars
Sausage and beef jerky
Candy (skittles, snickers, sour gummy worms)

Pretty plain and basic list as you guys can see..
If everybody put down their favorite backcountry meals/food we could get a great list going and some variety in backcountry meals!

·
Game Face
134 Posts
You'll catch yourself a diabety with that one.
I hope you wrote that in the same spirit I wrote my S'mores recipe. I was attempting to be humorous. But in case you weren't being humorous, in a survival situation (for me at least) I would need a comfort food for the first day or two. The chocolate fulfills that requirement and unless the season was fall or winter, the chocolate would not be any good past 48 hours.

On a more serious note, cooking potatoes wrapped in aluminum foil in the embers of a camp fire are also good to me. Even without butter. Beans, rice, chopped green onions and some cayenne pepper is pretty good, too. Stews in a cast iron dutch oven are great -- but if using chicken, have to remember to brown the meat first, otherwise the chicken is white-looking and may appear unappetizing. Sorry I'm not more of a gourmet-chef when in the great outdoors.

·
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒ&
231 Posts
We always make a Mountain Man Breakfast in the morning.
Brown sausage in a dutch oven, drain off half of the grease, put a large package of hashbrowns in and cook them till they're done, then "scramble" a dozen eggs and pour them over the top of the hashbrowns and sausage and put the lid on. Cook till Eggs are done and then put shredded cheese over the top and recover till it melts. You can do it like that or primitive with thin sliced potato chunks and just regular cheese. Add coffee from campfire percolator and you're good to go until late afternoon.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Rotisserie garlic-stuffed pork loin with rosemary sprigs stuck in over oak/cherry open flame, K.I.S.S.

Diced potatoes in foil with yellow mustard packet added.

Tortilla , 2 eggs, cheese, potatoes, bacon, wrapped up in foil, set on a hot exhaust manifold for 20-30min = Manifold Breakfast Burrito.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Mines a bit more simple. I like some nice hot coffee, tea or chocolate, followed up by a decent serving of some chicken curry pasta with some added real chicken and some instant mashed potatoes. Maybe some nice fresh goat, pork or venison cooked in some coals. And for dessert, a snickers/mars/bounty bar and some flavoured barley sugars.
Maybe bacon for breakfast with hashbrowns and beans from time to time =)

·
Tested in the Wilderness
6,803 Posts
I ate at least 25 jars of peanut butter from June to Nov. when "camping" - Living - on my mtn place last year so I guess that is my favorite camp food. Then stew, spaghetti, ravioli and such are other favs.

I like trout when I can get it. I also used some plants I grew such as spinach. I almost ate the broccoli but the bear got it first as I showed here in posts 2 & 4 > http://www.survivalistboards.com/showthread.php?t=84562

·
Survivor
233 Posts
got some nice boil in the bag pasta shells and boil in the bag bolognaise sauce, think they are made by "Dolmio"

They are supposed to be microwave pouches but boiling them works really well, it also mean the water that cooks them can be used to make a brew and if you add the sauce to the bag of pasta shells and eat them out of that bag, you only have to wash your spork and mug, even better.

Also the pots of instant mash, empty them in to a ziplock bag and mix with boiling water on-site, but my favourite is the good old tins of all day breakfast, open the lid sit them by the fire, stir occasionally until piping hot, delicious

·
Registered
3,605 Posts
Something we like to do is cook large meals at home, like spaghetti or something. Then we vacuum seal the left overs and freeze them. Whatever starts to thaw in the cooler, dictates what we boil in the bag for dinner. It's easy, fast, and little clean up. Obviously that's for car camping.

For backpacking, that gets a bit more involved. That depends on the length of the trip, the type of trip, and goal for the trip.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Eat Oranges sometime during your camping trip, (cutting the orange in half). Save the peal. Next morning pour prepared Jiffy corn muffin mix into the peels, wrap in foil,bake over simmering fire,prolly 20 minutes, scoop out with a spoon. Awesome! Marylp

·
Shuriken snowflake
16,826 Posts
As I see it the rules were camping and made on a camping stove. For me that excludes cans (too heavy to carry), fresh food (will go bad) and stuff that takes a long time to cook (uses up fuel).

Usually then I want something filling. For one meal I'd probably make quick cook macaroni and instant mealtless meat sauce (still has proteins) and another instant mashed potatoes and some kind of fish from a lightweight "can". For breakfast I like oatmeal with chopped up dried fruit and a dash of milk from powder (OK that milk isn't the best but you'll live). I like stuff like pasta and oats because you might want to make a lot, get hungry out there.

And of course I bring herbal tea for the night and real black loose leaf tea for the morning. I like nuts for a snack and raisins for my friend (she has a sweet tooth and gets incredibly grumpy without sugar). Then as as small snack instant soup and some kind of crisp bread or crackers.

Bringing the car to the camp site makes it a lot easier. Than I don't have to think about weight and that opens up a lot of other possibilities. Then it's basically pick and choose.

I prefer using a camp fire though, especially if I need to carry all food. Then you can make more complex meals and use things that need to cook for a bit longer, like rice and lentils. And if you catch fish, the better! Also I bring spices and bouillon cubes, it's usually really worth it.

·
Human bean of planet Urf
4,862 Posts
Boxes of all types of Hamburger Helper and Tuna Helper can be split into two (each half makes a large one person meal or two smaller ones) or even four portions and ziplock bagged. Soak them for fifteen to thirty mins in the cooking water before heating and cooking is cut in half. Neither needs the meat, but both meats are available in retort pouches. If you soak/boil the pasta, save the hot water and use it to clean the same pot up after eating with it. If you have time and a good pot or a dutch oven, make the Hamburger Helper as usual and then pour some Bisquick batter over it. Slow cook it in the ashes.

A bag of dried veggies is one of my prime requisites. They can be added to just about anything. Again, soak before and they cook better after. If you're mixing them with pasta or noodles, soak/cook the veggies at least halfway before adding the pasta....if you don't, your pasta will cook to pieces before the veggies are done. Uncle Ben's Minute Rice is often mixed in or in a bag by itself. Rice is an easy but filling side to everything.

Powdered gravy mixes are a must! I pack them in ziplocks and usually have at least three kinds on hand. A pot of plain pasta with a couple of spoons of chicken gravy powder makes a quickie meal. Add some veggies and call it gourmet and it tastes even better.

Dried/powdered soups....and I mean the entire paper pouch of dried veggies, meat, noodles and all, not just the consomme/bouillon. Those pouched soups are wonderful on a chllly evening. Add a couple of spoons of beef gravy mix and it makes a quickie cup of stew. Add some minute rice and it really fills you up!

A quickie lunch or a decent dinner if you want to take the time....pack of ramin noodles crunched up 8 times (you know what I mean lol), dried veggies, retort pouch of chicken, chicken bouillon, two spoons of chicken gravy mix, and an onion cube. It's fine if you just eat it as cooked ramin, but if you boil it longer, the noodles really become noodles and the veggies plump up into a pretty damned decent pot of chicken soup.

Zatarain's! Need I say more? lol By themselves or in recipes, they're great! Bag them to save space and weight.

Baby cheeses and Hickory Farms samplers etc. Cheeses go a long way. I don't know about most folks, but Hickory Farms cheeses are too waxy for my liking if eaten by themselves. Toss one into a pasta dish, though, and let it melt into a sauce....

Summer sausages....buy the *really* small ones, single meal ones, and boil them before adding other foods. They flavor pastas and rice and they actually soften and cook. I like them as is but they also make a great meal if used right. Lots of flavor and fats!

Mix salt (sodium chloride) half and half with "salt substitute" (potassium chloride) and carry that in a large shaker. Gives you the taste you want but also the electrolytes you need after a long slog. It cures and prevents late night cramps, too. I also carry a 6, 8, or 12oz (depends on the hike/camp and the number of people along) plastic bottle of Texas Pete (the best damned pepper sauce there is). I use recycled contact lens saline solution bottles with a screw cap and a slightly opened up drip spot. No breaks in the pack and no leaks. Onion cubes!!! Always have a box.

Retort meats like chicken or turkey, tuna, salmon, hamburger, Spam etc are wonderful when you're hungry from hiking. The fats are what your body craves after a work out. A retort pouch of hamburger, mixed with some cheese, and some Bisquick batter poured over it....slow cook it in the ashes in a closed pot....makes "cheeseburger pie". Everyone always asks for that recipe and can't believe it's so simple. If you want slightly diff, use a boxed/ziplocked cornmeal batter instead.

Lipton's Pasta Sides. Well, they're Knorr's Pasta Sides now since Lipton was bought up. Add the appropriate retort of meat, beef or salmon or tuna etc and some dried veggies. My tastes go chicken and beef, add cheeses and tomato sauces. Fish, add dried veggies and cream sauces or other light flavorings. Sometimes I get really dangerous and go chicken with pasta and veggies.

Little Smokies cocktail sausages....I dry them in the dehydrator and ziplock them. They get added to soups and stews, pastas, eggs in the morning etc. A pot of rice with some chili powder (add a spoon of beef gravy powder to smooth it all out) and a mess of soaked/boiled Little Smokies is a fav around here. Hamburger Helper made with soaked and boiled Little Smokies is also a fav.

A long-standing tradition in this family is that everything extra gets eaten the last night on the trail as a feast of a sorts. We usually end up with a large pot of jambalaya with seasoned rice, retort chicken and Little Smokies, sometimes cubed retort Spam, and messes of extra veggies and spices tossed in. Serve it with pancakes if you have any Bisquick left, or cornbread if you have any mix left.

I could go on all day.

rich

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.