Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Always Loaded
3,143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been eyeing the Bergara B-14 HMR for a good year. A deal popped up and I nabbed one. I load other .30 caliber cartridges (I think I'm up to 5), so I have some projectiles. Most of these are from 110 gr to 175 gr. What do you all find to shoot the best? Power is limited obviously. I scored a keg of H-4831 last week, so that will be what I'm working with.

On a side note, Midway just got a huge selection of factory seconds. They have like 20+ options just in .30 cal. What should I start with? 208's? 220's? Shooting will be primarily 100-500 yards.

1,426 Posts
I don’t own a 300WM at this time. But I had a duty weapon in the caliber at one point. Our ammo was custom loaded for us by a boutique manufacturer out of Colorado I think it was. I don’t remember the specifics of what powder or charge weight was used, but I do remember that it was .2gr below max. We used the 168gr Barnes TTSX bullet pushing 3250fps through a 26” barrel+8” suppressor. It was warm. But it would do .75moa, and punched through pistol armor out to 750 yards +/-.

That was quite a tangent. But there you go.

·
reluctant sinner
20,742 Posts
What is your twist rate? Can you get other powders? Are you hunting big game or target shooting?

I shot tons of Speer 2nds back in the 80's. I needed to sort them by defect - a spot or small weight deviation shot good; others - well good for fire forming or short range hip shooting. Value who knows - buy some and see what you get. With the price of powder and primers plus the wear caused by the overbore capacity, cheap bullets might not be a good investment past break in IMHO

·
Always Loaded
3,143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
What is your twist rate? Can you get other powders? Are you hunting big game or target shooting?

I shot tons of Speer 2nds back in the 80's. I needed to sort them by defect - a spot or small weight deviation shot good; others - well good for fire forming or short range hip shooting. Value who knows - buy some and see what you get. With the price of powder and primers plus the wear caused by the overbore capacity, cheap bullets might not be a good investment past break in IMHO
I would be more concerned about these 2nds, but the cheapest options, $25 per 100, are water damaged. They should be fine with weight and diameter. They say "tarnished with potential mild corrosion". I've delt with similar issues in the past, and a hour or two in the rotary tumbler them were clean as new. I'm actually shooting through a big box of 175 gr SMK I got from American Reloading as seconds. They shoot great.

·
Registered
5,268 Posts
I shoot a Savage 111 Long Range Hunter in .300 Win Mag 26'' barrel w/ twist is 1-10'', One draw back to the Savage is 1 rd in the chamber and 2 rds in the blind magazine and the plus is the Muzzle brake. I reload with 168gr Nosler Custom Competition HPBT over IMR 4831 which produces 3000 FPS, 2nd is 180gr Speer Hot Core Spitzer over Hodgon H1000 around 2900 FPS.
Haven't tried H-4831 but fairly close to IMR 4831 and best to check on reload data at the manufacturers sites or a good reloading manual.

·
Always Loaded
3,143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I shoot a Savage 111 Long Range Hunter in .300 Win Mag 26'' barrel w/ twist is 1-10'', One draw back to the Savage is 1 rd in the chamber and 2 rds in the blind magazine and the plus is the Muzzle brake. I reload with 168gr Nosler Custom Competition HPBT over IMR 4831 which produces 3000 FPS, 2nd is 180gr Speer Hot Core Spitzer over Hodgon H1000 around 2900 FPS.
Haven't tried H-4831 but fairly close to IMR 4831 and best to check on reload data at the manufacturers sites or a good reloading manual.
It suprises me so many guys load the lighter projectiles. I had it in my head the 208-220 gr pills where the norm. I had a half box of the 200 gr Hot-Core's I loadd this week, just to see, and they shot really well. I couldn't get 168 gr Hornady match to group well at all.

·
Registered
5,268 Posts
It suprises me so many guys load the lighter projectiles. I had it in my head the 208-220 gr pills where the norm. I had a half box of the 200 gr Hot-Core's I loadd this week, just to see, and they shot really well. I couldn't get 168 gr Hornady match to group well at all.
I load it for shooting targets and the biggest deer we have around is Mule deer, my plans were to use heavier bullets but the Savage liked the Nosler's and the 180gr Hot Cores. If I plan on hunting deer in California I need to use Non-lead bullets like Barnes Triple Shock, plan was to hunt out of state but that all went away for now.

·
Registered
3,146 Posts
If you are shooting game, especially something big, I'd probably choose partitions or ttsx. 180s probably would be ideal. If this is target, I would try bullet weights for what the barrel like best.

Reactions: HappyinID

·
Registered
Depends
330 Posts
If I had a 300WM I would be shooting heavier bullets both Distance and Hunting. From the weight of bullets you have I would start with the 175gr and then try and get something heavier and with the highest BC possible. Even at the short range pistol distances you are shooting I would go with the heavier bullets. In a 1-10 twist 30-06 the Hornady 208gr ELD will come back through the sound barrier which means it is very stable. I believe Sierra makes a 190gr Match that should rock in your gun. As for me the lightest bullet I would be shooting is the Sierra 200gr Low drag match bullet then the 208ELD. I dont know anything about your gun hopefully the barrel is threaded so you can put either a Brake or suppressor on it to tame the recoil some.
Last but not least be safe and have lots of fun with your choice.
NDR

·
Registered
677 Posts
OP said the primary focus was target shooting but also that the largest game in his area was mule deer.

He mentioned his particular rifle liked a couple different types of 180 grain pills and didn't do as well with heavier ones.

And he asked if there was anything else out there he may not have tried that provided good accuracy from such a thing.

So...mule deer are not some heavily armored animal that are hard to kill.

Accuracy, for the primary function of target shooting, is the priority.

And it'd be nice if said bullet was also effective on north american game at least up to the size of a good mule deer, and considering possible future hunting trips, maybe larger.

My take on it....

There isn't much of anything in this hemisphere a sturdy constructed 180 grain .30 cal full power cartridge won't bring down at anything most people would consider "ethical hunting range". There are a few things in the other hemisphere it won't handle but they are few, very large, and cost you as much as a new car to go shoot at.

A .300WM is pretty much a faster 30-06. It might take you a small step up in game at the extreme top end but it mostly lets you do the same things farther away. More velocity, flatter trajectory, and more distance while supersonic.

Everything doesn't have to be the latest, greatest, longest, heavy for caliber boat tail bullet to work well. His rifle likes 180 grain and that's just fine. It's plenty of oomph and it'll do a number on both paper and mule deer.

So I think the question is what other loads in the 180 grain range have you found to exhibit good accuracy?

'cause it's plenty enough rifle for whatever he might do on meat.

I will say the all copper bullets tend to be longer for a given weight as copper isn't as dense as lead. This "might" cause issue with your rifle stabilizing them due to the bullet length, not weight.
The upside as far as hunting goes is you can generally take a step down in bullet weight you'd typically use in lead on the same animal. This because copper is much harder material. It doesn't shed weight along the way like lead does. So after a bit of penetration the copper bullet that started out lighter is now heavier because it didn't shed a bunch of material along the way like the heavier lead bullet did.
As long as you have the accuracy and the reliable expansion at whatever impact velocities you expect to have, you don't need a long, heavy lead bullet to allow for losing a quarter or half of it along the way.

Makes a 165 grain '06, or 180 grain .300WM, or even a 150-164 grain .308 or 140 grain .270 or 7mm punch above their weight with regards to penetration and damage done along the way.

There's also an advantage in light barrier penetration, like house walls or vehicle bodies or windshield glass as even if those "petals" fold back or even shear off the majority of the projectile stays together and keeps going. There is no shedding of lead or jacket/core separation. There's nothing to separate.

Getting off into the weeds here but I think the OP was asking, "here's what I've found to work well. What else in this range have you found to exhibit good accuracy and oh by the way it'd be nice if it could also bring down a mule deer".

You don't need moose loads to do that. Bullets far less advanced than what we have available to us today have come close to wiping out entire species.

Ya, I hesitated hitting the post button but I did it anyway.

·
Always Loaded
3,143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
On a side note, I received my Midway order last night. The $25 per box appears to be 208 gr Hornady A-MAX, and the $35 look to be ELD's. Both look very nice. I see zero "water damage" they spoke of. Furthermore, I did a quick inspection. Largest deviation I found was about .8 grain. For my kind of shooting I will never notice a difference.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts