Votes: 7 17.1%
  • Other

Votes: 6 14.6%
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Pilot
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering what everyones preferred alternative (matches / lighters aside) fire starting methods are and why....

Magnesium (shavings or ribbon)
Chemicals
Piece of Flint / Steel
Fire Piston
Lenses
Friction
Blast Match / Strike Force
Other

·
Happiness is 2 at low 8
1,403 Posts
I presume that Blast match/strike force would include the swedish firesteel product...

Allan

·
Registered
413 Posts
I consider myself an experienced outdoorsman with many years of fire starting under my belt. I have learned over time to be able to start a fire most of the time with nothing more than a sunday newspaper, 5lbs of balsa wood, a quart of kerosene and 2 boxes of matches. I was not near so competent when I first started.

·
Warning: EXPLOSIVE!
249 Posts
I consider myself an experienced outdoorsman with many years of fire starting under my belt. I have learned over time to be able to start a fire most of the time with nothing more than a sunday newspaper, 5lbs of balsa wood, a quart of kerosene and 2 boxes of matches. I was not near so competent when I first started.

lol... I usually have to call in a Napalm strike...

·
Registered
191 Posts
I was once able to start a wood fire using matches and all the receipts in my wallet as tinder!
But my favourite method is the fire piston; first record of invention around 1745 in Rome but probably used much earlier by Australian Aboriginals, a way of making fire out of thin air, even at night. This is by far the best method!

Whish i had one, lol.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Pull gun powder out of a round and place it on a piece of paper , place the empty round into the champer and fire. the Firing cap will light the gun powder and in turn light the paper... I HAVE CREATED FIRE:D:

·
trois pour cent
5,942 Posts
I like the blast match. Mainly because you can work it with one hand. Increases you survival chance if injured. Also kept one little piece of petroleum gauze tucked into the cover of the blast match.
2nd choice, flint/steel.

·
dum dum
1,249 Posts
been interested in fire pistons for about 5 years now...there are some really cool ones as well as kits to make your own (as in Redshirt's links). However, although I just clicked flint and steel, I kinda agree with Allan that a firesteel would actually be more of the blastmatch ilk. I've used my dinky boyscout firesteel to start every fire I can...even though a bic is sitting in my pack in case I need it. I usually shave up some whisker sticks and use a cottonball/vaseline starter...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts