Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
High Concept
5,605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Pemmican right off the bat, a now prep, if you are ever gona. Lasts forever, or at least a long time. Too hard?

Similar to pemmican and cheaper but not as well known, my type of erbswurst. You can make far more of this than pemmican for far cheaper and easier.

You will need
Make split pea flour blender, salt, onion flakes, tallow.

Melt tallow in pot.

Mix onion flakes with pea flour and add to the tallow stirring it in until tallow is absorbed.

Add salt to taste.

Put mix into soap moulds till cool and hardened.

Wrap blocks with wax paper.

Use tallow as with pemmican, the original recipe uses bacon fat, but tallow is much better for long term storage.

Olive trees, plant 2-3 year olive trees.

You can preserve whole olives or get a small cheap home press to extract oil, either way you will get the fats you need out of them.

Even young olive trees can produce a useful amount of fruit.

Eggs you only need 2 a day to meet your minimum fat requirements. 27grams of fat in each yoke.

Consider keeping chickens if you can. Feed them all your scraps and left overs, save the shells crush and feed back to them, Grow a plot to feed them and let them free range. Snail farm for protein feed and calcium from shells, if you crush snails, chickens will eat them shell and all.
Grow purslane and let it run wild, the omega 3’s in purslane will concentrate heavily in the eggs.
————————

Grow and eat purslane for yourselves, it’s one of the only plants with omega3’s, salad green or cooked.
Grow it.

·
High Concept
5,605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
If your goal is to store fat, why bother making pemmican or erbswurst ? Why not just store the fat on it's own? It gives you a ton more options if you store individual ingredients instead of mixing them.
Sure you could do all the processing mid SHTF, assuming you had all the conveniences, but why not get all your foreseeable processing done now. Have a proven working product ready to go.

I’m thinking of a ready made ration, with other elements in it, but caters for fats, and has a long shelf life. The erbswurst recipe is good for 18 years at least since I’ve opened them and tested it. Just needs hot water.
Add hard biscuit or LTS grain product and you get more carbs from it.

You can very easily calculate your rations and for the time period, but also have a stand alone food. It is extremely compact for the calories. I have over 30 pallets of 2kg blocks for feeding larger groups if needed, just needs the heavy stock pots of hot water.

I have a commercial olive grove, I’m not going to run out of oil, but I’m just giving people a renewable option Idea if they are able. Younger olives can still be prolific.
Same with the chickens. Chickens were kept on ships, not ideal, but it shows what is possible. Some people won’t be able to keep chickens, but for those who can. 2 eggs a day will give minimum fat requirement.

If you can grow purslane climate permitting, grow it. It grows like a weed here, can be used directly or as feed.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts