Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
High Concept
5,605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Pemmican right off the bat, a now prep, if you are ever gona. Lasts forever, or at least a long time. Too hard?

Similar to pemmican and cheaper but not as well known, my type of erbswurst. You can make far more of this than pemmican for far cheaper and easier.

You will need
Make split pea flour blender, salt, onion flakes, tallow.

Melt tallow in pot.

Mix onion flakes with pea flour and add to the tallow stirring it in until tallow is absorbed.

Add salt to taste.

Put mix into soap moulds till cool and hardened.

Wrap blocks with wax paper.

Use tallow as with pemmican, the original recipe uses bacon fat, but tallow is much better for long term storage.

Olive trees, plant 2-3 year olive trees.

You can preserve whole olives or get a small cheap home press to extract oil, either way you will get the fats you need out of them.

Even young olive trees can produce a useful amount of fruit.

Eggs you only need 2 a day to meet your minimum fat requirements. 27grams of fat in each yoke.

Consider keeping chickens if you can. Feed them all your scraps and left overs, save the shells crush and feed back to them, Grow a plot to feed them and let them free range. Snail farm for protein feed and calcium from shells, if you crush snails, chickens will eat them shell and all.
Grow purslane and let it run wild, the omega 3’s in purslane will concentrate heavily in the eggs.
————————

Grow and eat purslane for yourselves, it’s one of the only plants with omega3’s, salad green or cooked.
Grow it.

·
Registered
6,694 Posts
If your goal is to store fat, why bother making pemmican or erbswurst ? Why not just store the fat on it's own? It gives you a ton more options if you store individual ingredients instead of mixing them.
I have to agree. If your goal is high calorie, high protein trail food in minimum space with minimum weight and with no need to light a fire or even stop moving to eat it, then sure, pemmican and erbswurst and such are old standbys.

But if you want fat for the apocalypse, canned meats and rendered fats in can/jars are going to provide many more and much tastier options while lasting even better on the shelf.

If those old-timers had been able to can buffalo instead of drying and powdering it, believe me, most of it wouldn't have ended up jerky or pemmican.

Now as to eggs, great food for many things, not just their fat content.

And olive and purslane are both terrific if they grow in your climate, although you'll need to plan some years ahead to have a good olive grove. If you are in a climate not suitable to olives and avocados or don't have the acreage and lead time, there are annuals like sesame and peanuts in warm areas and many other annual plants/seeds with valuable oils containing essential fatty acids that will grow in a year in many different climates such as hemp, sunflowers, camelina, chia, pumpkin, etc. Many nut trees are also suited to colder climates, although you again have the issue of acreage and lead time with those.

Just as with whole grains versus milled flour, whole seeds will store for longer than their pressed oils, although all fatty/oily foods have relatively short shelf lives compared to other things.

·
Pisticus Veritas
Very Prepared!!
57,345 Posts
If your goal is to store fat, why bother making pemmican or erbswurst ? Why not just store the fat on it's own? It gives you a ton more options if you store individual ingredients instead of mixing them.
... unless you're looking for a nutritional snack or meal should no other food be available.

·
Registered
6,694 Posts
... unless you're looking for a nutritional snack or meal should no other food be available.
Sure, although if you've stored crisp dried jerky and rendered tallow (plus dried berries/peas/whatever else you want in there), you can make such snacks from them as/when/in the exact quantity wanted.

Basic ingredients always offer the most flexibility, plus you can store each for exactly its own storage life. (Dry jerky will outlast tallow and dried peas and onions will outlast both unless you've boiled all the fat out of the jerky as well as drying it crisp.)

·
Pisticus Veritas
Very Prepared!!
57,345 Posts
Sure, although if you've stored crisp dried jerky and rendered tallow (plus dried berries/peas/whatever else you want in there), you can make such snacks from them as/when/in the exact quantity wanted.

Basic ingredients always offer the most flexibility, plus you can store each for exactly its own storage life. (Dry jerky will outlast tallow and dried peas and onions will outlast both unless you've boiled all the fat out of the jerky as well as drying it crisp.)
But I was under the impression that pemmican has a much longer shelf life than the items you've mentioned above have on their own. I've never heard of the OP's recipe but pemmican (if I'm not mistaken) has an exceptionally long shelf life.

·
Registered
6,694 Posts
It has a long shelf life, but not "exceptionally long." The tallow will eventually go rancid although it will take longer than most fats because it is more saturated than most other fats. But then so will some palm oil for the same reason. Tallow will, however, go rancid faster in pemmican stuffed in a hide bag or similar modern packaging than tallow in a sealed impermeable can or jar with little oxygen left inside will. I expect the occasional inclusion of some dried berries was used to add some natural antioxidants in there to keep the smell down for longer. You'll do better these days with ascorbic palmitate and rosemary extract, though. :)

Bone dry jerky (or its powder in pemmican) will last a long time, but no better than much tastier meat in a can.

Canning wasn't invented until the early 1800s and wasn't totally reliable or common for many decades after that. Lots of other methods were therefore used to try to preserve food. The fact they were widespread doesn't mean they beat canning, just that they worked more or less well to keep food for a season or a year or two. The pemmican the woods runners relied on was generally used within a year or two of production and everyone knew fresher was better, but some food was always better than none.

You may be able to still eat decade-old pemmican, particularly if you are one of the many who doesn't really taste rancidity, but I wouldn't personally be inclined to try as long as there are more guaranteed fully nutritious, not to mention tastier, options available. Fresh stuff on a dog sled to get you to the South Pole, well there's a good reason to eat cardboard that leaves your tongue with a nasty coated feeling in that situation. :) Pemmican certainly has its uses and its place, and it's good to know how it is made. It just wouldn't take first place on my list of fats to store for SHTF. Personally, I'd rather store Spam, and I don't like Spam. :)

·
Forum Administrator
7,247 Posts
As a kid there was an olive tree out back, never used the olives. Olives have to be specially processed, you can't just eat them off the tree.

No curing needed for oil pressing. If one wanted to store them to press later, a simple dry cure of plain salt to pull moisture out is all that is needed.

Since, we are talking fats not hor devours. 🙃 :giggle:

·
High Concept
5,605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Sure you could do all the processing mid SHTF, assuming you had all the conveniences, but why not get all your foreseeable processing done now. Have a proven working product ready to go.

I’m thinking of a ready made ration, with other elements in it, but caters for fats, and has a long shelf life. The erbswurst recipe is good for 18 years at least since I’ve opened them and tested it. Just needs hot water.
Add hard biscuit or LTS grain product and you get more carbs from it.

You can very easily calculate your rations and for the time period, but also have a stand alone food. It is extremely compact for the calories. I have over 30 pallets of 2kg blocks for feeding larger groups if needed, just needs the heavy stock pots of hot water.

I have a commercial olive grove, I’m not going to run out of oil, but I’m just giving people a renewable option Idea if they are able. Younger olives can still be prolific.
Same with the chickens. Chickens were kept on ships, not ideal, but it shows what is possible. Some people won’t be able to keep chickens, but for those who can. 2 eggs a day will give minimum fat requirement.

If you can grow purslane climate permitting, grow it. It grows like a weed here, can be used directly or as feed.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Isn't there a decent amount of fat in most nuts?

Obviously not enough for your entire fat intake. But could help supplement as a non perishable alongside fish and other fresh fats.

·
Registered
6,694 Posts
Nuts are half or more fat/oil by weight. They tend to high omega-6, but there are some nuts and seeds with good omega-3. (Walnuts are the nuts with the most omega 3; hemp, flax, and chia are good seed sources.).

They are excellent sources of good oils and essential fatty acids as well as a number of other nutrients, which is why it's now recommended to eat an ounce of them a day. However, like all oils and very oily foods, they don't have a very long shelf life. Oxygen absorbers and a freezer may get you a few years, but 1 to 2 is the outside on a shelf.

If you have land, plant nut trees.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts