Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok.....so at 56 the old waistline aint what it used to be......even though I can still sqeeze into 35" jeans.....the inflated spare tire is the issue.

When I holster a pistol with IWB or OWB when I draw the weapon the belt and the holster come for a portion of the ride along. Overall this makes drawing a pistol in a self defense environment inconsistent for both practice and real life.

I would imagine there are belts specifically designed to minimize the ride up while still being held somewhat snugly in the holster,

At the moment I'm using Galco gunleather and other formed leather holsters that help......but any degree of a snap lock like a Phoebus and forget it.

I'm sure I'm not the only one here that has this issue. Other than loose 8" around the waist what gun belt should I be looking at?

HK

·
Registered
3,213 Posts
Heavy gun belt is a "tell". You may as well wear an "Official Mall Ninja" ball cap.

Lose the belt 5.11s and skinny jeans.Wear side clip suspenders to support the weight of the gun, cuff case and ammo. Buy Carhart or Duluth work trousers 2 inches larger in waist than you wear with a business suit. Dress to the gun and have your tailor sew 6-8" long reinforcement of 2" wide seat belt webbing inside waist band at both hips to secure IWB paddle holster and mag carrier and cuff case on opposite hip.

·
Registered
955 Posts
I made a fairly stiff belt with two layers of 7 to 8 oz. leather. It looks like a regular belt and has a look like a regular belt, but is very stout. Doesn't move with I draw and makes it easy to lug whatever pistol I like. I mostly pocket carry, so this is something I mostly wear in the field.

·
Registered
2,821 Posts
So what’s a recommendation on a non leather stiff belt with good strength and durability. I’m wearing snake chaps half the afternoons and it’s making me sweat like a pig. Leather holds moisture, and wants to reform when it’s drying. The belt often isn’t dry the next morning. I generally drink 2-4 quarts in 4 hours of work, and I’m still craving salt and beverage after finishing.

·
Premium Member
516 Posts
I do not own one yet, but have seen reviews on YouTube on them.

·
Registered
3,213 Posts
So what’s a recommendation on a non leather stiff belt with good strength and durability. I’m wearing snake chaps half the afternoons and it’s making me sweat like a pig. Leather holds moisture, and wants to reform when it’s drying. The belt often isn’t dry the next morning. I generally drink 2-4 quarts in 4 hours of work, and I’m still craving salt and beverage after finishing.
Lose the belt. Reinforce the waistband at the hips only, using seat belt webbing. OK to use two layers to increase stiffness.

Again, heavy belt is a "tell" that you are armed and you may want to avoid that. Once I retired and no longer had to dress for court days I went whole cloth Homer Simpson. El Paso Pocket Max or Mika Pocket holster can also be modded to function as expedient shoulder holster by adding a pair of 1/4" brass eyelets and looping 550 paracord over the neck and diagonally across the shoulders to drape in the armpit under an untucked Polo shirt. Not ideal with heavy gun over about 20 ozs., but fine with SIG P230, Beretta 1934, S&W Airweights, Colt Cobra. Etc.
A British Army pistol lanyard can be used the same way dropping a small automatic inside the waistband of your shorts or swimsuit if you don't have pockets.

·
Registered
12,878 Posts
Heavy gun belt is a "tell". You may as well wear an "Official Mall Ninja" ball cap.
Baloney.
EVERYONE out here wears a real belt. Neither you nor anyone else can tell if they’re packing a gun, based only on the belt.

Not to mention....is this a scary obvious “gunbelt”?They sell it as one.

So what’s a recommendation on a non leather stiff belt with good strength and durability.
Daltech SuperBio belts. They’re made of the stuff industrial conveyor belts are made of. Mine are 3-6 years old, showing zero wear. I have the 1.5”, and another one they aren’t listing, a narrower dress style belt.
SuperBio®

·
Premium Member
335 Posts
8 or 9 years ago I bought a belt from bull hide belts called “indestructible“, now called Hercules. It is non leather. I have worn it every day. It has finally cracked at the most often used hole. It has been soaked with water and sweat more times than I can count and still is the same shape it has always been. And as a final note I am not easy on belts. Since I have owned this belt my waist has varied between 44 and 50 inches and I suffer from the old man’s affliction noassatall so require a tight belt. To say I recomend this belt is an understatement.

·
Registered
12,878 Posts
8 or 9 years ago I bought a belt from bull hide belts called “indestructible“, now called Hercules. It is non leather. I have worn it every day. It has finally cracked at the most often used hole. It has been soaked with water and sweat more times than I can count and still is the same shape it has always been. And as a final note I am not easy on belts. Since I have owned this belt my waist has varied between 44 and 50 inches and I suffer from the old man’s affliction noassatall so require a tight belt. To say I recomend this belt is an understatement.
Looks like the same stuff Daltech uses. Slightly more money, but far more options. Thanks for the info! (y)

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for th recommendation on the Daltech belts. They seem likes the one I need plus they are US made.

HK

·
More than .0001%
1,459 Posts
Get a belt and holster from Milt Sparks. Yes they are pricey, yes they there is a long wait time but their products are simply the best. I suggest the Versa Max II if you are interested in a IWB type holster. This falls under the “buy once, cry once” category. 😏 I’m 6’ and 230 lbs and I can wear the rig all day without discomfort and without any draw or re-holster issues.

·
Registered
2,821 Posts
Lose the belt. Reinforce the waistband at the hips only, using seat belt webbing. OK to use two layers to increase stiffness.

Again, heavy belt is a "tell" that you are armed and you may want to avoid that. Once I retired and no longer had to dress for court days I went whole cloth Homer Simpson. El Paso Pocket Max or Mika Pocket holster can also be modded to function as expedient shoulder holster by adding a pair of 1/4" brass eyelets and looping 550 paracord over the neck and diagonally across the shoulders to drape in the armpit under an untucked Polo shirt. Not ideal with heavy gun over about 20 ozs., but fine with SIG P230, Beretta 1934, S&W Airweights, Colt Cobra. Etc.
A British Army pistol lanyard can be used the same way dropping a small automatic inside the waistband of your shorts or swimsuit if you don't have pockets.
I need the belt to hold my pants up. I usually wear carheart or clone belts ( solid leather, not cardboard in the middle) I just want some thing that will fit through the belt loops and not absorb sweat. Gun isn’t a big deal, but I use a S&W shrouded hammer J frame in a Serpa holster for maximum retention ( holster can be rinsed off, gun doesn’t touch body, and rat shot works better in a revolver). I realized pocket carry was corroding the inside of the SS J frame

I’m going to check in to the pocket holster idea. That’s interesting.

·
Registered
7,317 Posts
I bought the bull belts as well. They are well made and last.

·
What hell, pay attention
8,303 Posts
If you want a comfortable gun belt that doesnt scream gun belt, try one of the Wilderness "Frequent Flyer" belts. Well made and hold up to daily use well. Ive been using their belts since the 90's and have yet to be disappointed.

I used to use one of their Instructor belts, until they became the tacti-cool belt to wear, and they wised up and made one for those of us looking for a little more discretion.

Best part about these belts is, you dont have to "hit a hole" to get it to fit. Its infinitely adjustable across its whole adjustable length. If you gain or loose a little, no big deal, it adjusts to exactly where you want it.

They make them extra stiff too, with no apparent bulk, by adding stitches in the belts.

I use a 1.75 wide "5 stitch" belt, as for me, they give the best support and comfort. They also have 1.25 and 1.50 widths, if you like a thinner belt. The wider belts carry the gun better and more comfortably.

Once cinched up, the gun wont move, and the belt wont move with the draw.

I carry AIWB these days, and IWB most of my life, and always wore the "proper" sized pants for my waist. I dont recommend "sizing up", as the pants normally look off and dont fit right, especially if you arent wearing the gun, or switch over to an OWB holster. Proper fitting pants without the gun will feel slightly snug when you first insert the gun, but in a couple of minutes, you wont know its there. If it gets to the point you're noticing it stays feeling tight, youve got a good indicator you need to drop a few pounds, or buy larger pants. The former is always the better choice. ;)

You also have to watch pants sizes when you buy, and really need to try them on, especially if you havent worn an unfamiliar brand. Most makers these days are appealing to people's tender sensitivities, and a "34" may well actually measure "36" or bigger.

I normally wear Dickies or Carhart carpenter type pants. They have belt loops that will easily accommodate the 1.75" belts, are full cut through the legs (and will allow an ankle holster, if you need a spare), and are very comfortable and fairly long wearing.

·
Registered
651 Posts
I purchased this belt back in 1917 and have worn it every day since. It is still as good as new. I got it from Amazon.
Daltech Force SuperBio CCW Concealed Carry Gun Belt Holster Belt Concealed Carry

·
Registered
6,281 Posts
I actually wear one of these around the property with a cinched up drop leg at the waist. I have a rather thick leather belt from walmart for my dickies carpenter pants. Condor works for my set up. That gives me four mags plus a five shot 38 pocket gun at the back of the property.

·
Registered
12,971 Posts
Suspenders work best, even cops wear suspenders for all the gear they carry and it has nothing to do with one's waistline.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts