Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There is enough fat lightard in the stump loaded on that truck to start fires in a fireplace for many years. A member of another forum asked who had an extra stump. Turned out he was only about ten miles away, so we loaded a stump for him with the fel. Yankees might call it "lightwood", "lighterwood". or "pitch pine."

Closeup shot of a split-off piece of the stump showing the red, pungent wood.

Fat lightard comes from the stumps of longleaf pine, some of them cut probably 100 years ago. Here is a stump still in the ground. It has been cut about 45 years.

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Pitch pine up here in the PNW is the kind of tree that grows in hot, dry areas like east of the Cascades...don't get much of anything like that in Western WA, for example; firs grow better here.

So - what do you do with the stuff? Use in place of other tinder? Is it like accelerant-from-a-tree?

·
Sic semper tyrannis
745 Posts
Not a yankee by any means, but I've never seen it called fat lightard...

fat lighter. fat wood. sure.

Man I do love the smell of that stuff. It reminds me of innocence lost and days long past.

The grocery store down the street half-pound bundles of the stuff for 3 bucks a bundle. I don't think anyone buys it though.

·
Sic semper tyrannis
745 Posts
Pitch pine up here in the PNW is the kind of tree that grows in hot, dry areas like east of the Cascades...don't get much of anything like that in Western WA, for example; firs grow better here.

So - what do you do with the stuff? Use in place of other tinder? Is it like accelerant-from-a-tree?
The resin in the wood causes it to go up like a match. It burns long enough to dry out small twigs, sticks, etc to help get a fire going.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Some times you can find it where a tree has been struck by lightning. This stuff makes a great fire starter. It burns like a stick dipped in fuel oil. the pitch/sap in it works very well to start fires

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.