Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Earthwalker.
10,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Heres my new knife for spoon and other carving,it is a farriers knife used to trim up after shoeing a horse.

It is sharp on both sides,one side is sharp from tip to the handle and has a flat grind,on the other it is blunt from the handle for two inches and then has a bevel on that goes around the crook.

The crook is sharp both sides.

The blade is 4" including the crook and the total length of the knife is 9"

the handle is English bog oak

This knife was made by a English farrier and sold to me for £5.

Attachments

·
Earthwalker.
10,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
actually u use the knife before u shoe them, ya use it to pare part of the fog, and soul off
I stand corrected.

Im not a horse person but cheers for the info.:thumb:

I think the last time i rode i was 27 years old and im 42 now:eek:

·
yep that's me
573 Posts
yep he's right, but since you was gonna use it on a spoon I wasn't gonna say anything :D: how did he sharpen it sticks? the guy that taught me to shoe a horse used to take a chainsaw file to his, didn't seem to work to well on mine when I tried it

·
veldskoen no socks
2,715 Posts
Looks like it will do the job, its nicely made and has good looking handle. Custom made for kak handed folk as well.

·
Earthwalker.
10,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
yep he's right, but since you was gonna use it on a spoon I wasn't gonna say anything :D: how did he sharpen it sticks? the guy that taught me to shoe a horse used to take a chainsaw file to his, didn't seem to work to well on mine when I tried it
It needed touching up when i got it,well you know me i have to have a tinker around and make things mine.

I used a dremmel with a tiny sharpening stone on it,then i got some emmery cloth and a peice of round twig,i rapped the cloth around the twig and sanded it,this worked well.:thumb:

The rest of the knife i sharpened as you would any other knife,first with a wetstone and then diamond cards,working down to the finest.

·
Earthwalker.
10,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
well i should have known this as i have seen it done,just didn't think to hard about it:rolleyes::D:

·
Registered
784 Posts
well when i was trimming horses feet, i used a round diamond stone to do it, and a small steel. but a chainsaw file would work as well after you use the file use a steel as well

1 - 14 of 14 Posts