Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so i found a fanny pack and its pretty tough, thick durable nylon and heavy duty buckles. i figure im probably going to keep it next to my bail out bag so if i gotta jam i can throw it on and i could just have it outfitted with things that i would need in a hurry so i wouldnt have to dig through my BOB for one small thing. what is your guys' opinion on some of the contents i should put in it?

i was thinking maybe some small zip ties, a small lighter, a leatherman, just some stuff like that.
it has three pockets, a big one at the top, a smaller one in the front, and a "hidden" one in the back behind the top one.

·
Really?
16,125 Posts
BTDT, got the T shirt........everything's a trade off..........now, a fanny pack is good idea( I have practiced with it and can draw very fast), but then you look like a dork.........so, it's up to you.....it's like the "photograph's vest",

·
Really?
16,125 Posts
yeah, fanny packs scream nerd, but in a mad situation that calls for bugging out, i wont care and i doubt anyone else will either, lol.
Oh, ok, you're BO......then you have a BOB, with a waist belt and a fanny pack? So, is the fanny pack going under the waist belt or over it?....btw, if it's a mad situation, why worry about a fanny pack? why not carry a gun in your hand or have an M-4 at the ready?

·
Maximus
12,320 Posts
yeah, fanny packs scream nerd, but in a mad situation that calls for bugging out, i wont care and i doubt anyone else will either, lol.
There are going to be so many mall ninjas running about in full gear that a fannypack is going to seem normal lol
Oh, ok, you're BO......then you have a BOB, with a waist belt and a fanny pack? So, is the fanny pack going under the waist belt or over it?....btw, if it's a mad situation, why worry about a fanny pack? why not carry a gun in your hand or have an M-4 at the ready?
Can't assume that every BOB has a waste belt. I am sure that most do, but many do not. Not all BO sutuations warrant walking around with a gun in hand. If martial law was declared for one thing. It would make you stand out and place a target on yourself.

·
Believe in Yourself
4,495 Posts
You know I carried a fanny pack for years and I give a rats arse for what people think. I always had my mini kit with me and it would justify it self daily. My fanny pack is hanging on a nail behind me. It goes on first and my larger BOB is by the back door. Let'em laugh that last one will be mine.

·
1,049 Posts
I have one from Eagle Creek that I really like. I have it set up like a micro BOB.

I have a Leatherman Micra Tool, a LED flashlight, maps, Sharpies, FRS radio (T9500) carpenter pencil, small notebook, compass, first aid, 550 cord, Altoids™ survival kit, ty-wraps, emergency space blanket, light sticks, Swedish Fire Steel, lighter, vaseline cotton balls, spare batteries, Clif Bars x2, ziplock bag x2, black garbage bag, and DEET.

This does not weigh much at all. I usually grab it when I am out of the vehicle and on a job (industrial photographer). I usually carry another water bottle with me.

I have a LowePro camera day pack so the fanny pack looks like it fits in nicely as part of the gear.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I carry a ?Ozark Trail? its one from wall-mart , i use it for geocaching and caring water so it's got my gps ,pens & pencils , couple maps , mini multi tool , tweezers , lighter , smokes and my car keys , it also has pockets for two bottles of water ,i tend to secure it to my day pack and it sits nice without the buckles digging in my back

·
Registered
6 Posts
For medical stuff I would add some Imodium (cant bug out if you are pooping all over your self), a pack of quick clot or celox, a couple syringes, some antibiotics, sleeping pills and eye wash.

·
RESET CONGRESS!!
9,462 Posts
I have two of 'em. Wear one on walks, when bicycling, or at some outdoor events where my pockets aren't big enough for all the junk I like to have with me. lol
One has loops for water bottle(s)

As for what anyone else thinks.. nerdy, bad fashion statement,.. LOL
Like I give a hoot.

·
Registered
906 Posts
We have two pro level outdoor shops here. They sell tons of fanny packs as college students use them on the trails.
I have several FPs. My Arc'teryx is the best. Plenty of room for a PSK, weapon and food. It has two bottle carriers. The belt can be stowed behind a panel and be carried by the handle. I added two key rings to retention straps and added a shoulder strap, so the carry has 3 options. At retail they were $108.00 but got them at $35 on a special sale day. They had two left. I bought both.

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
My Bud and I do a 6 mile force march though the forest twice a week for exercise.

He carries a civilian fanny pack, I use Vietnam issue LBE with butt pack & two canteens. (ya go with what you know, and Ive had them forever)

In the last year, he as torn two fanny packs at the strap, and had them sewn back up by the local cobbler.

Im still using the same gear I had in the 70s.

·
Darting from the shadows
5,760 Posts
I have one I use for shotgunning.
It has loops for up to 20 12g rounds (I'll often carry 16 bird shot and 4 OO buck or slugs) and a large main pocket with a canteen & pot in it's case on the belt.
In the main pocket I can fit 2 ration bars, spoon, folding knife, hexamine cooker, lighter & matches, compass, headlamp, needles and thread, mini first aid kit, survival blanket cordage, tape and plastic bags.

·
Registered
906 Posts
My Bud and I do a 6 mile force march though the forest twice a week for exercise.

He carries a civilian fanny pack, I use Vietnam issue LBE with butt pack & two canteens. (ya go with what you know, and Ive had them forever)

In the last year, he as torn two fanny packs at the strap, and had them sewn back up by the local cobbler.

Im still using the same gear I had in the 70s.
Re: the LBE.... I use that too when I go hunting. Hold shells in Ammo pouches, 2 canteens, food, PSK and FAK. Most hunters think it's weird because I don't buy hunting gear from the pro shop. Mine won't come apart.
And THANKS for your service.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.