Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Founder
16,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found this story so disturbing, I thought it would be an interesting topic for discussion.

The images below are from "The Black Death - A chronicle of the Plague" by Johannes Nohl.

If you are able to read the text from the pictures, please do so and post your opinions. Please keep in mind, this book is non-fiction.

======EDIT======

If you can not read the below images, click this link - http://www.survivalistboards.com/images/book.jpg

My daughter helped me hold the pages open and get a better picture.

Attachments

·
Founder
16,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
lol.. is there an online site that possibly has a place to read your passages,, i have a 19 inch monitor but can only read about 5 lines of each page... i think i got a magnifying glass round ere somewhere... lemme see how that works:D
Huh? Click on the picture to see the larger version.

·
Darting from the shadows
5,760 Posts
Sorry, but theres no way I could imagine my self as been that desperate.

What they did was truly atrocious, but they were sorted out.

·
Registered
7,224 Posts
proof that humans are truly animals of just a slightly higher oreder.
Lose the regular way of providing and soon the morals go out the window.
I recall reading a story years ago written by a jewish man in one of the death camps.
He described amazing immorality some of he and his fellow prisoners would stoop to to either get food from the guards or outright steal it from others in the camp.

Look also at how depraved addicts can be when they need a fix.
All the more reason to live in less populated areas.

·
I'm keeping my eye on you
2,204 Posts
Hey Kev,

I could read most of it and it is amazing what people will resort to in order to survive. The same type of behavior occurred with the Donner party in 1846 in the Sierra Nevada mountains. All the more reason to plan ahead, prepare your stores and when it happens, stay away from populated areas.

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Famine and disease usually go hand and hand together. If there is a war, there's usually a famine right after as well as outbreaks of cholera, dysentry, etc.

There's a reason why food storage is so important, it's because most of us are used to eating everyday.

If you plan reasonably well, you won't be USING your weapons on a daily basis (notice I said "using" not "needing" ;) ), but you will need to EAT everyday.

PLAN ACCORDINGLY.

Food is still cheap, a basic supply can be put away for less than a $1. a day.
Lowdown3

·
Registered
245 Posts
History repeatedly tells us that in famines people resort to cannibalism.

People can deny it all they want, they can say that they 'would never stoop that low' or 'be that desperate'. In the end, the survival instinct is all that counts, if survival means eating human meat then human meat will be eaten. Anyone who denies that they would ever do that, whatever the circumstances is not facing up to reality.

Here is a link to the story of a famine in Eygpt and how people coped. Read it if you dare...

http://www.heretical.com/cannibal/egypt.html

·
Registered
426 Posts
wow... thats pretty grim...

I agree somewhat with Mr. Palmer in that I dont really believe that, in our current state, we could say with confidence that we would not do this (become a cannibal that is).

however, i believe there is something to say for killing a person for the sole purpose of eating them. Maybe I am being hippocritical in regards to my last statement but I really would not do this. period. I would rather die than become a murderous cannibalistic predator.

Something I was wondering, are there any accounts of cannibalism during WWII, specifically in Stalingrad?

Something else I was also wondering, besides the "general" moral breaching that would occur in eating another Human, are there any specific religious texts that forbid this? or is it one of those unwritten things....

Kid_M

·
I never finish anyth
245 Posts
I would definately not do this, although I know others will. I eat only clean meats as written of in the Bible. (Cloven hoof, chews a cud, fish must have scales, etc, etc..)

Humans are not Clean meats. Not for me...

(passes plate to the nest in line...)

·
Liberty or Death
986 Posts
I would definately not do this, although I know others will. I eat only clean meats as written of in the Bible. (Cloven hoof, chews a cud, fish must have scales, etc, etc..)

Humans are not Clean meats. Not for me...

(passes plate to the nest in line...)
in a survival situation you cant be picky. the person that usally survives is the person who can put there biases behind them. i heard a story of a man who was stranded at sea for over 70 days. the only reason he survived was because that he caught and ate a big eyed tuna raw (guts and all). And think about the holocaust what little meat the jew got was pork but they put there belifes behind them and ate it so they could survive. just dont be picky when your trying to survive.

·
Knocked Down But Up Again
5,579 Posts
Yikes and double yikes! I pray to God that I never see the day that I would eat human flesh!

·
Gold memba-золот&#10
588 Posts
Something I was wondering, are there any accounts of cannibalism during WWII, specifically in Stalingrad?

Kid_M
I 'm not sure about Stalingrad, but in Leningrad (now St. Petersburg) it was quite common. Leningrad was the city that was basically cut off from the rest of the country for a period of about three years.

I vividly remember stories my grandmother told me when I was a young boy. She has stayed in Leningrad for the entire duration of the event. At one point they were guarding a burrial ground during night hours - she was a member of armed forces - and each night she said there were multiple attempts by some to get to the corpses. It was very cold winter that year and they couldn't dig individual graves even by using excavators and used TNT to blow holes in the ground and then when they were filled up a bulldozer pushed some dirt over to seal them up. Those guys were bringing shovels and tried to unearth the bodies. One time she said it happened that when a bulldozer left one man's upper torso was still sticking out of the ground. They knew it was gonna be the primary target so to speak but were too weak to burry him completely. They were watching him with dilligence the whole night as she said but, nevertheless, when the next day broke his most meaty parts - bycepts, breasts etc. were cut out.

She also said that many fleamarkets sprung out all over the city where the main commodity was food of course. Some people had potatoes that they grew in their gardens. Others brought mushrooms and berries from the woods. Also she said there were those weird and scary looking men that were selling/bartering stew or jello. I 'm not sure if I call it correctly in English: When you boil meat and then put that meat/liquid in the fridge it turns into such a resilient goo. I think it is called jello but they weren't adding the actual jelatin powder of course. In any case, she said hardly anybody wanted that stuff from them as it was almost obvious that it hadn't been a beef stew or any other animal for that matter other than human one:)

Cannibalism was officially denounced by the gov't and offenders were shot on the spot according to the martial law of the time. Still the problem persisted. Also she told me one thing that got stuck with me for years: "You could always tell apart those who consumed human flesh, it was unmistakable. First, they were fatter than an average person and they had that maniac, animalistic stare". I guess they were looking at other people and were seeing food everywhere that made them sick. They wanted something else for a good measure, poor things:D

·
Elitist Gun Snob
1,365 Posts
The same type of behavior occurred with the Donner party in 1846 in the Sierra Nevada mountains.

This has actually been proven to be blown WAY out of proportion. While 39 members of the party did die up there, there is no forensic evidence that offers proof to substantiate the story that they were all eaten. It's pretty sure that only one corpse was eaten from, and that was by a small group that branched off to go get help.

·
I never finish anyth
245 Posts
"just dont be picky when your trying to survive."

It's not being picky. It is sticking to my morals and religious belief system.

"Even if your childrens lives depended on it?"

I don't have children, but I would never change my dietary restrictions as given to me by the Bible just because things were "Hard". Look at my past posts. I know how to catch food in the wild. I know what is edible. I know which insects are to be eaten and which ones will not.

I may be physically weaker than those who partake of the unclean foods, but I truely know and believe that I will be spiritually stronger for doing what is right.

You may now being the flaming, as I think some will.

·
Registered
245 Posts
"Even if your childrens lives depended on it?"

I don't have children, but I would never change my dietary restrictions as given to me by the Bible just because things were "Hard". Look at my past posts. I know how to catch food in the wild. I know what is edible. I know which insects are to be eaten and which ones will not.
I'm not advocating cannibalism (!) but i do wonder at people who come out with blanket denials on the topic.

Ok, you don't have children and you have good food gathering skills. But, just as an intellectual exercise, lets say that you were responsible for a childs life and you were in a situation where the only option really was to eat part of a dead person or else die of hunger yourselves.

In that situation, which would be more immoral? The eating of human meat or the allowing of yourself and a child to die? That's a serious question.

·
Knocked Down But Up Again
5,579 Posts

·
I never finish anyth
245 Posts
I have complete and utter faith that God will provide for those who follow Him.

To repeat, I would not allow myself or my child (if I had one,) or my three nieces to eat of human flesh. Never.

·
Here To Learn :)
397 Posts
I found this story so disturbing, I thought it would be an interesting topic for discussion.

The images below are from "The Black Death - A chronicle of the Plague" by Johannes Nohl.

If you are able to read the text from the pictures, please do so and post your opinions. Please keep in mind, this book is non-fiction.
Very disturbing - but not surprising. Humans are animalistic, and have an
inherent will and need to survive. If that means eating another human being
to survive, I believe most people would do such a thing. I don't think many
would do so until it was a last resort - but in the end, I feel most people
would allow their hunger and survival instincts to dictate their actions.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts