Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Non ducor, duco.
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I stocked my home with around 6 months of food and water in 1999 JUST in case for the computers shutting down ... I thought it was a very remote possibilty that this would happen and even if it did I did not see it lasting very long ....

So there in Jan of 2000 I had my supplies of all sorts - seeds - water filters - generators - and food for about 6 months .... my wife and parents and the few close friends I let know what I was doing all said see we told you so ...

obviosuly nothing happened for Y2K .... so we ate the food and sold pretty much all the supplies I had gathered over the next 3 years here and there ... the seeds finally looked to be of no use ... generators sold ETC

I returned to my life Sept 11th 2001 came along and made the memory of Y2K
seem to fade ... life moved on ...

well a couple of years ago I watched a movie by Arron Russo on the federal Reserve which led me to seriously research our monetary system for many months ... and the politics of our money system ... NEEDLESS TO SAY I WAS AWAKENED FROM MY SLUMBER AS one of the SHEEP....

I help run a Family business that my father started 27 years ago it has been very good to my family financially .... My father grew up in a 3 room house dirt poor and even had an outhouse ... he volunteered for vietnam in 1967 and served two tours of duty of there before coming back to serve one more year as a drill instructor ... then back home and became a coal miner as his family had done for three generations ... he lost his right leg in a mining accident a week after marring my mother and 2 months after starting in the mines ... he is a proud man but eventually had to go on welfare to feed us I was born shortly after he lost his leg ... to make a long story short he read a lot of self help and motivational books over the next couple of years and decided to try selling furniture and was very successful at at ... he then went to a car dealership and began selling cars ... again very successful at it ... he was then asked to become a manager ... again successful ... he began relentless saving money and thus we always did without luxuries ... in 1981 with interest rates in the 20's he reopened an old ford dealership that had gone out of business 2 years earlier .... flash forward today he grew the business into several dealerships ........... Thus my love for capitalism and american dream ....

back to waking up from my slumber .....

BTW my father has the largest stake in a small cummunity bank and even he didnt realize until I proved it to him that the FEDERAL RESERVE was a private company ... thats how few people in america really understand .. but thats dif topic ...

after much reseach on how our banking system works in conjuction with the FEDERAL RESERVE ... I now understand that this system is not SUSTAINABLE and has to implode on itself at some point ....

18 months ago I had our 401k provider for our company add another fund for our employees to choose from ( a precious metals fund ) even with latest fall in PAPER gold / silver prices my 401k has out performed the market by a CONSIDERABLE AMOUNT !! as well as those of our employees that listened to me on the coming economic crisis ... including my father / mother / sister and company exectutives ... none of them except my mother went all in on the fund but they are no glad they did what portions they did ....

on to the topic at hand .... EVEN WITH ALL THAT HAS come to pass in last 18 months in the financial system that I fortold to everyone around me ... my wife and mother and father and sister ... think I AM A BIT PARANOID about storing food .... I still make my preparations but almost feel obligated to stroy enough for my mother and fatehr and sister and her family that do not beleive it can ever happen ....

HAVE any of you fought this battle with your spouse and or close relatives and convinced them of the importance of it .... if so what did you do ?

obviously I have the means and I am going to store for them ... i have the means and that is my choice ... but I sure would like to get some buy - in from them .... instead of REMBERE YOU DID THIS FOR Y2K ....

Agreed I did prepare for Y2K but always thought of it as very unlikely ... but this ... I KNOW FINANCIAL COLLAPSE of the DOLLAR WILL HAPPEN ... im just not sure when could be within 12 months could be 10 more years but IT WILL HAPPEN ... and people are resilent I know as well and I dont see anyone needing more than a year supply of food before a return to somewhat of a normal lifestyle albeit maybe one with a lot less luxeries for awhile and a lot less credit availability ... but commerce will not be held back for long in a peaceful world .... I dont buy into TEOTWAWKI unless a nuclear exchange occurs and then hey what are you going to do /shrug

But I know its prudent to be able to eat for a year without the help of the outside world ... and I would just like to be able to convice my fmaily of it as well .... any stories on convincing your family or close firends or not convicing them ?

·
American fearmaker
14,245 Posts
You miss the obvious... You need to point out that your family members are the ones who are REALLY nuts. You're the ONLY sane one in the bunch. At least that's what I tell my 3 sisters and mom. We all bicker and have a good time over it so I guess that insanity/sanity is relative from each person's perspective.

I just look at it like: Each person has their own talents and abilities. Mine is to think ahead of trouble and prep for hard times that will certainly come at us. My sisters can do things that I can't do like knit, type really fast, multi-task and so on. I can shoot, survive, plan ahead, scout, manually building things and so on. Between all of us, we pretty much have everything covered for just about all situations. But I do have to admit... Having 3 crazy sisters is a bit much at times....

·
Registered
79 Posts
hope you find your answer but unlike me at least you can afford to provide
for your mom and dad and sister. so i'll do what i can for mine and hope it's enough
also hope they come around before it's to late one good thing about us we are use to being poor except my wife but since she has been with me she is learning what
it's like.

·
Banned
61 Posts
Most of my family thinks I'm crazy. That's why I've been through three marriages (on my fourth) and have taken numerous meds over the years. None of them have helped. My faith in Jesus has been my only strength.

·
Hermit
150 Posts
People are not very bright. Anyone who laughs at someone for being prepared is a fool. A disaster need not happen for it to be useful. Even a period of unemployment can make your stores a very valuable thing. I don't stock up on months worth of food, but I understand why some people do. I always have about one month's worth of cheap stuff in any case.

That said, my family thought I was crazy for reading philosophy at a young age rather than working all the time for no reason. I eventually had to leave them to their misery and gossiping amongst themselves. I have nobody around these days; no opinions and not a sound here.

·
Only Half Human
533 Posts
Everyone in my family thought I was nuts.

But I think as everything I have been telling them for years is finally unfolding before their eyes, perhaps they think I am a little less crazy.

I have stocked up our house by myself. Told my sister and mother to do the same. Which they haven't.

Gotton a carry permit and taken shooting classes. My family is very liberal and anti gun.

Fact is, if your paying attention you can see what is coming.

It is your duty to prepare yourself and your family as best as you can. Even if they don't want to listen and try to ignore what is happening.

They will thank you in the end.

·
Here's a man who stood up
639 Posts
I was just like you for Y2K. I stocked up and prepped. I knew the machines wouldn't stop running, I mean a gas pump doesn't know what day it is. I knew there might be some trouble with banks so I took out extra money just incase something did happen.

I told some friends about stocking up they laughed. I shrugged and went on my merry.

A week before Dec 31st 1999, I started getting phone calls from these same friends asking what I was doing for the new year. I said nothing, I'm staying in watching a movie with beer and popcorn. These same people who laughed at me wanted to invite themselves over because it "sounds like fun." and "Thats a good plan. Can we join you?"

These are the types who NEVER miss a New Years party at the trendy places, or where the cameras are. So I knew what their game was. I said no thanks, I m spending New Years alone.

New Years eve rolls around and guess what? Half a dozen people are knocking on my door. "We couldn't let you spend New Years alone." Yeah right. I let them stay, they did bring beers and food at least.

As soon as they saw that buildings weren't collapsing and the heavens didn't open up and their cell phones still worked they left. Good riddance, I went back to my movie.

Lesson is there are always going to be people who make fun of you or think you are nuts. They laughed at Noah too! Those are the first people who will come knocking on your door, hat in hand, looking for help. How you deal with them is your business.

Stay the course. Better to have and not need, than to need and not have.

·
infowars.com
421 Posts
my old lady is cool with it she says "whats wrong with being ready " plus with earthquakes and fires it makes sense

my outside family like uncles and cuzzins are to busy playing with gangs to even worry about it except for two cuousins and 1 uncle who thought i was nuts untill one of them who just got released from fedaral prison worked in a fema camp to get it ready

this was 2 years ago wich is when i started looking into this stuff he said it was just lifers there working but he got out on a tachnacality on his apeal and he had to sign a waiver to not tell anyone butt the dumby went back in last year and well he is not comeing out so now the others are getting ready my friends think im nuts so i stopped telling them about it a year ago i act like i dont look into it anymore cause when the SHTF
im not gonna trust them

there bikers there loyalty is to there clubs not people like me just friends i keep them around for my own reasons

·
Agent of Influence
1,938 Posts
If you have dealerships that do 300 million in sales each year then what are you worrying about?

Just use a tiny fraction of your huge income to buy 6 months supplies for all the family, you could even buy a little farm or retreat somewhere and have it stocked up. No need to worry about what people think about it.

Oh, and by the way, the Federal Reserve is NOT a private company. That's a common misconception brought about by the fact that the Regional Federal Reserves have the major banks as nominal shareholders. The key words being regional and nominal.

But why are you worrying, with your turnover of $300 million a year you must be able to afford the best financial planning going to prepare for any eventuality......

·
Nope.
2,099 Posts
I have some family I won't even discuss this with. When I started putting together what I called my "go kit" years ago, I got the heat then. Mind you, this kit was just enough (or so I thought) to get the heck away from people and into the woods. Every election, I put the kit back together.

My dad's side has always been prepared, and I was the one thinking they were a bit nuts. Now I'm getting a lot of advice and a bit of, "You've finally come around, huh?".

·
Registered
18,814 Posts
I've always been considered the "odd one " of the family after moving to Alaska after high school.
Living in a log cabin and having a years worth of food set back, doesn't make any sense to them. I guess sitting in traffic for an hour plus each way to work is normal ?
Not knowing your neighbors and having 3 I.D. cards to cash a check, not in my plan of things.
Guess I'll keep prepping and live in my fools paradise.........Alaskan

·
Registered
18,814 Posts
Maybe you are nuts, like a squirrel, one does never know how long or harsh a winter can be.

I am amazed at the mentality of the folks I interact with each and everyday. You would think it was the roaring 20's

They want to talk about the ball game or this new book they are reading or the latest gee whiz electronic they purchased to keep themselves "plugged in" with or some other mundane bs that has nothing to do with providing for ones self while the world is crashing around them.

I guess the maddening part is knowing damn well they are being foolish for not making provisions and at some point we are going to be faced with a decision that they are going to force upon us.

share or no?

maybe we are the nuts?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Those of my family who are still around in the rural South where I grew up would think that a person would be crazy not to be "prepared". The things that many people consider to be survivalist traits today were normal daily life when I was a kid.

I can't ever remember my family not canning and storing food and supplies for the winter and bad times (tornados, storms and such).

Many of my wife's northern city and suburban dwelling family have started to see the light since 9-11, the recent natural disasters and the decline of the country in general.

·
Registered
226 Posts
In my area hurricanes are prevalent. I use them to show folks why they should prepare, most see the logic in it and slowly start to come around. I don't mention any end of the world stuff that just scares most folks and labels you a nut case. If you have family members that simply refuse to stock up and prepare for what may come then you have to make a decision, will you take them in if a situation arises. If you will, do you take them into account in your preps? If you won't take them in are you prepared to throw out into the street knowing what may happen to them?

For me and my Wife we keep about a year's worth of food and some extra in case we get a friend or family member that drops by. Easier to simply have the extra supplies than to send them into the unknown.

·
Just a Squirrel
231 Posts
We don't even tell family. They think I am nuts anyway. They are largely gun-control flaming liberals who take what the doctor gives them, question nothing.

We don't vaccinate anymore, drive old cars, buy everything used except underwear, aren't slaves to television. Nothing like anyone around us.
Maybe I am nuts....who knows?

·
Registered
9 Posts
I'm glad you made this thread. I was just sitting here in my kitchen trying to once again convince my mom of the neccesity to be prepared when i saw this thread title.

I have for the past year been trying to inform everyone I know of the impending disaster and I usually get one of a couple responses.

People think I'm crazy

People Ignore me

Lately I have given up on everyone (except my family) and just started preparing myself. Can't say I didn't try to inform others. I just don't know how to get their heads out of the sand :confused:

·
Feed Yourself
73 Posts
Hi The Patriot Mind,
Great thread - I think this is a precsient and importatnt subject that one must inevitably consider. The loved ones in our lives should be at an advantage to know prepared, forward-looking people such as ourselves, and yet getting others into a compatible (or even accepting) mind frame can be a challenge. I believe that this is because there is no substitute for direct experience - and without a personal connection and drive to become more aware and prepared - the knowledge and logic is lost on such a person.

And, not to pick apart your post, but there is something that does surprise me...
The Patriot Mind;318562 I dont buy into TEOTWAWKI unless a nuclear exchange occurs and then hey what are you going to do /shrug[/QUOTE said:
If indeed you
now understand that this system is not SUSTAINABLE and has to implode on itself at some point ....
then why would you conclude that
.... commerce will not be held back for long in a peaceful world
??
As you so succinctly wrote, this system is imploding, or collapsing. But this is not a 'bolt from the blue'. The american dream that so many millions have been deluded into aspiring to, as you know, is a pipe dream based on fallacy and fantasy. The world markets are inexorably linked, as witnessed in the history of the last few centuries, and more specifically the last couple of decades leading the creation of the one-world-state. With 'accepted' economic theory thrown to the wind and a new system waiting in the wings to secure your future slavery in debt, even portrayed as such in the fawning mass media, your summation that such disembodied mystical forces as "commerce" or "the economy" or "inflation" will thrive in a peacefull world (notwithstanding the lack of estimation on the possiblity of a peacefull world) is hard to fathom. The end of the current paradigm rests, at least in part, on the end of this financial 'stage show'. In my view, there will be no concording "peace" in which to plant the seeds of a new "commerce". Not neccessarily wanting to get into a discussion of other alternative ideas relating to post TEOTWAWKI economics (or micro-economics) - just my 2 cents - please don't take offense. We are here to learn, to comment, and to share.

.... any stories on convincing your family or close firends or not convicing them ?
And regarding the subject at hand. I have had some success recently by taking things one step at a time with my wife. As I mentioned above, without first-hand understanding and acceptance, I do not believe an individual can thouroughly appreciate the practical steps that a survivalist must take: preparing, stocking, planning, practicing... To put another way, without the Why, the How can as ludicrous paranoia. With this in mind, I find it is better to ask than to tell. Ask your loved ones "If the power went out for 24 hours, what would happen?" Let them answer - then maybe ask "What if the power stayed off?" They may ask "Well, for how long then?". Well, my dears, that's the whole point: we do not know how long, we cannot tell the future - but - using the tools and knowledge we have - we can put ourselves in the right direcetion. Knowledge.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts