Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
636 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’ve read several of you having family for the first time hanging on your every word. That’s my experience also. Wow, the respect. Lol

My family is listening harder than they ever have. They have stocked up in the past but never to this extent. Mostly they put up with me and went along. My husband has always been supportive but never to this degree.

Excess trips are canceled, eating out, shopping and sanitizing more. Everyone is watching the news and we are sharing information which helps keep us from being sucking into normality bias. We are working together and planning together.

Most of my friends are in the ‘it’s the flu bro’.

·
Registered
512 Posts
Some of the friends have listened and taken heed. My mom is the only one prepping a little bit in the family. The other parents and brother’s families, could not give a poop. This is nothing, it’s going to blow over, we can live off the land, etc etc etc. The cousins are all “life is always all good and the Good Lord always provides, have faith!”
My Dad is going ahead with his total knee replacement next Monday. He’s needed this for years and is finally doing it. I’ve been only half joking with him that he may be one of the last elective surgeries for awhile and that he is sliding in under the line to get it done. He doesn’t realize how close the healthcare systems just may be to being overwhelmed.

·
Banned
9,381 Posts
It appears that the overwhelming evidence supporting the notion the US is about to get its you-know-what handed to it by the virus is starting to sink into the general population...

·
Registered
9 Posts
I'm having the opposite issue...my parents are firmly in the "it's a conspiracy against Trump" camp, ignoring the whole thing. My kids think everyone is overreacting (my daughter is still planning to go on a cruise next month). I'm pretty calm but very prepared, so if we reach quarantine stage here, I hope they're ready, but there isn't much else I can do.

·
That'll be the day...
3,739 Posts
My wife's folks live 10 miles out of a tiny town and 30 minutes from a Walmart. Two weeks ago, they finally started listening to me, drove to town and stocked up and are 'holeing' up on their 80 acres. They need to, because she is 72 years old and has Type 2 Diabetes. He has survived cancer once already and Is 73.

My siblings, where were basic turds toward me the month of February, as all prepping now. Two of my sisters are within 2-3 days of having to use Klennex for toilet paper if their stores don't get restocked soon, but their mentality has sure changed.

My cranky ole High School friend has been.... Baa Humbug.... up until last week. All the sudden they are buying toilet paper and pails of dehydrated food.

·
Crazy Cat Lady
Plan to Alamo at home.
15,907 Posts
I have always been the "ready" one but we flipped roles, he was telling me about this for weeks before I took it seriously. So I admit I was wrong.

I am pretty well set now (better when I get my stuff back). The hard part for me will be shutting up when everyone else is having a meltdown as the S hits the fan.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Depends, most of the ones in medicine are super concerned and trying to get family members to act. The ones who like to drink are more concerned about how this is going to affect their booze parties and think the booze will save their rear ends. The ones that are older are somewhat wiser but many do not want to think about it. The younger ones are stats quo, clueless about the world around them think that this is an awesome
way to get out a speeding ticket.

But on a whole, they have no idea what a pandemic is, and what it can do...that it is only zombie movie stuff which is not real.

Denial rules among the ones who choose to be totally uneducated about this issue.

I read somewhere the only one who will somewhat ok, is the people who really prepare for a disaster that is 2 percent of the population.

·
Registered
766 Posts
Step daughter and her kids are oblivious. Not really concerned at all. Step son is concerned about his mother getting it, but not so much about himself...My son is worried about his daughter and me and SWMBO....

My sister is an RN, and up on things (semi-retired, just working "on call" kinds of jobs now). She is cautious, but stocked up.

·
Registered
555 Posts
I want to also note...I know which ones will die first and why. First to go the ones who are compromised health group.... who refuse to eat healthily and take care of their body. Next the drinkers who will be out in bars when the streets close down getting that last bottle...and so on.

Which comes to the word accept the things I can not change. That is peoples opinions and ideas who are not open to change, willingness to be open to change.

I will note the fact that during the Nazi kill off in Germany, most people were in total denial that anything bad would happen to them, ....and the ones that were up in the clouds singing it is going to be alright, were the ones that died first.

Being in survival mode was not an option when it is too late to even consider it.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Absolutely frustrated. My wife and kids humor me as I try to tell them the facts that are being missed in the media and trying to read between the lines. I am not trying to quarantine us but just get prepared with plans and such. My wife is in the hairstyle industry so definitely has a higher chance of catching it and the kids are both in High School. They are definitely not taking it seriously and I feel alone in this matter.

Co workers are the same. I want to take my toys and go home... :(

·
Premium Member
1,871 Posts
I'm having the opposite issue...my parents are firmly in the "it's a conspiracy against Trump" camp, ignoring the whole thing. My kids think everyone is overreacting (my daughter is still planning to go on a cruise next month). I'm pretty calm but very prepared, so if we reach quarantine stage here, I hope they're ready, but there isn't much else I can do.
Exactly this for my parents too. Because it may make Trump look bad, then it all must be media hype. No real danger.

They're both in their 70's btw.

The worst part is my parents are preppers/homesteaders. We often recommend new findings to each other and share lessons we may have learned. We both show off our new "toys" and test them out together.

But because this has been politicized, they just smile and act like it'll blow over. No real precautions taken for this whatsoever.

The rest of the family thought me and my parents were over the top because we prepped. Now my own parents are acting like just I'm over the top because I'm concerned about this.

I did not expect that at all.

·
Registered
2,413 Posts
...My Dad is going ahead with his total knee replacement next Monday. He’s needed this for years and is finally doing it. I’ve been only half joking with him that he may be one of the last elective surgeries for awhile and that he is sliding in under the line to get it done. He doesn’t realize how close the healthcare systems just may be to being overwhelmed.
I hope everything goes as smooth as possible with your dad!

If it’s scheduled for this Monday, 3/16 should be OK (service wise).

If it’s scheduled for Monday 3/23, umm...! Services will likely be well into the first bubble of capacity/constraints/cancelling anything elective etc.

That’s all aside from would anyone want to go to a hospital, unless they absolutely HAVE to. Loss of life, limb, sight or hearing kind of deal.

However that’s a choice your father and your family will have to come round to.

If he does end up going in, whenever that might be, ask about alternative follow up. Imaging/PT/standard post op follow up. ie If he can avoid going back to the medical center for any / all of it.

·
Registered
636 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Absolutely frustrated. My wife and kids humor me as I try to tell them the facts that are being missed in the media and trying to read between the lines. I am not trying to quarantine us but just get prepared with plans and such. My wife is in the hairstyle industry so definitely has a higher chance of catching it and the kids are both in High School. They are definitely not taking it seriously and I feel alone in this matter.

Co workers are the same. I want to take my toys and go home... :(
I’m sorry. Our son is seeing the same attitude in his work situation. There’s no talking to anyone because they are so totally clueless. Totally oblivious to any possible problem. I wish he would at least wear gloves. He is off for a few weeks maybe by the time he goes back on they will be more aware.

·
Registered
339 Posts
I asked my mom to put together a 1 month shopping list that I could order for her and either do curbside or delivery...

List she sent me looked like a bunch of teenagers preparing for a week of snow days.

Lots of ridiculous junk, no real meals, no meat, no pasta or rice, a few each canned veggies. Aaaagh!!!

She will be the death of me before any virus!

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

·
Republic of Texas
1,194 Posts
Up until 2 days ago all of them were "it's just the flu." Now they're quiet.

All except for my husbands ex-wife. She and I have a decent relationship so when she visited our daughter in Feb, we had a chat. SHE listened.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts