Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'd like to take my family of four in June. I'd prefer to drive from Colorado, probably hit up Carlsbad Caverns, if they're open, and/or other neat places between Denver and Texas.

I started my research five minutes ago and Padre Island looks pretty good. Any recommendations for a family of four? Not only for a family friendly beach, but other activities in Texas and/or on the way there?

Thanks!

·
Registered
236 Posts
Galveston is nice but can be crowded. Same for Crystal Beach on Boliver Peninsula, it can be nice but can be crowded as well. CB has lots of cabins to rent also.

·
Registered
255 Posts
We usually go to south padre at least once a year.
Last summer we got a motel on the beach front. They have private access to beach. All the public beaches were closed. It was well worth it. Do some searches, the rooms are pretty cheap during the summer. Motels are not always the cleanest, LOL. But it is awesome being on the beach as late as you want.

Skip the waterpark, it got sold last year and most of the rides were not working and even the new manager said they could not afford to fix.

renting a golf cart is fun. there are specials you can get an hour for $40 and see the whole strip besides having time to go through dairy queen. Like anything when it comes to that stuff, shop around, ask around. We got $40 but some places charged $80 and want proof of insurance, or make you buy insurance. It can be a pain.

There is a lot to see and do. Restaurants on the island are usually ok. turtle sanctuary is kind of neat. Bird sanctuary too. They have fishing charters that are fun if you want to try it. You pay I can't remember like $20 per person. You go out on the boat for like 4 hours, with lots of other people of course, but they will bait the hook, take the fish off and clean it if you want. Kind of a different fun experience, get a boat ride and fishing.

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thank you both for your input!

All the public beaches were closed
I'm glad I started this thread because I forgot we're in a pandemic and stuff might be closed, bleh

·
Registered
754 Posts
I'd like to take my family of four in June. I'd prefer to drive from Colorado, probably hit up Carlsbad Caverns, if they're open, and/or other neat places between Denver and Texas.

I started my research five minutes ago and Padre Island looks pretty good. Any recommendations for a family of four? Not only for a family friendly beach, but other activities in Texas and/or on the way there?

Thanks!
I'm going to assume you'll be going through west Texas. Neat places and west Texas are a contradiction in terms.

From Carlsbad Caverns, going to South Padre, you should go by, or really close to, Big Bend park. I've never been there, but have been in that region. Some beautiful rugged southwest terrain in the region along the Texas/Mexico border.

I've been to South Padre once...years ago. It reminded me of a miniature Miami beach. I remember some little bump in the road town just south of Kingsville. There was a sign that said something like "Last gas and food for 180 miles." Just past that sign was a couple of convenience stores a Pizza Hut and I think a Dairy Queen...I do remember the Pizza Hut because we stopped and ate there. But they weren't kidding about the 180 miles. We drove for close to 3 hours without seeing a single sign of modern human civilization outside of the road we were on and the cars on it. No houses, no buildings, no telephone poles, nothing...except endless miles of mesquite trees and bugs. Probably the most desolate place I've been other than maybe parts of the Navajo Res.

The only good thing about Galveston, as opposed to South Padre, is it's nearer to a large metro area...Houston. You can see NASA, the USS Texas...if you're into that kind of thing. There's also Bishops Palace...old Victorian era house you might find interesting. To me, Galveston, once you get off of Sea Wall blvd/touristy areas, is kinda old and ratty and dirty.

Corpus Christi has the USS Intrepid, and Port Aransas. Port Aransas is a little town on a barrier island just east off of Corpus. You could just work your way up the coast if you're of a mind to, and can afford to.

There's also the Alamo in San Antonio. It's like an hour or so from the coast to San Antonio. If you make it to San Antonio, make sure to eat at one of the Mexican places on the river walk...some of the best Mexican food you will ever find is in south Texas.

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks!

Would padre island be out best bet for beach vacation in that area of Texas?

·
Registered
754 Posts
Thanks!

Would padre island be out best bet for beach vacation in that area of Texas?
Yes. South Padre is one of the big spring break destinations for college kids in the middle of the country. That should tell you how good it is...just make sure you don't go there in the spring.

·
Registered
255 Posts
If you make it to San Antonio, make sure to eat at one of the Mexican places on the river walk...some of the best Mexican food you will ever find is in south Texas.
Alamo is cool, river walk is amazing, take a boat ride get to see the whole thing and relax. If you can go at night without the kiddos that is best.
San Antonio is a great destination as well but it can get expensive in a hurry. Kids always want something to do and there isn't much free in San Antonio.

I want to spend more time in Galveston, I think it would be great, but I get the feeling it is more adultish than a family destination. I could be wrong.
Corpus is nice, you used to be able to camp on the beach.

We have family in Mcallen so we always end up on South padre and never been disapointed. Well except for the water park last summer, but we some how suffered through it LOL

·
Crazy Cat Lady
Plan to Alamo at home.
16,938 Posts
I buried some of my husband's ashes in Galveston State Park (legal to do). We always liked Galveston.

·
Registered
754 Posts
Alamo is cool, river walk is amazing, take a boat ride get to see the whole thing and relax. If you can go at night without the kiddos that is best.
San Antonio is a great destination as well but it can get expensive in a hurry. Kids always want something to do and there isn't much free in San Antonio.

I want to spend more time in Galveston, I think it would be great, but I get the feeling it is more adultish than a family destination. I could be wrong.
Corpus is nice, you used to be able to camp on the beach.

We have family in Mcallen so we always end up on South padre and never been disapointed. Well except for the water park last summer, but we some how suffered through it LOL
I forgot until you mentioned it, you can eat on those boats at night...used to be able to. They serve a big fancy meal, candle light, servers. I'm sure it costs some serious $$$ though.

·
Registered
385 Posts
For the family, I would do Mustang Island (North Padre). I've been going there my whole life and it's a good family destination. Beware, ferry lines can be long in the summer so prepare accordingly. Get to the restroom before the wait. South Padre has nicer water and is good too, but definitely more of party place.

There's some good stuff to do in central Texas too. We have some good cruising kayaking here, nothing too rough.

·
Ebola brought me here
194 Posts
You should pass close-ish (what I like to call "Texas close") to New Braunfels on your way to Padre. Go to the Schlitterbahn in New Braunfels. No matter how old I get, that particular location is still just amazing. The Schlitterbahns in Galveston and South Padre are TERRIBLE.

There are some amazing old missions in San Antonio if you like to geek out on stuff like that. San Antonio also has a SeaWorld & an amusement park called Fiesta Texas which is pretty awesome.

The USS Lexington is in Corpus Christi - that'd be a fun place to stop.

·
Born 120 years too late.
5,211 Posts
SINCE YOU mentioned having family along...
You should be aware there are some NUDE beaches on Padre.

BUT

Considering what is now coming out of New York... it may fit right in.

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
You should pass close-ish (what I like to call "Texas close") to New Braunfels on your way to Padre. Go to the Schlitterbahn in New Braunfels. No matter how old I get, that particular location is still just amazing. The Schlitterbahns in Galveston and South Padre are TERRIBLE.

View attachment 360644

There are some amazing old missions in San Antonio if you like to geek out on stuff like that. San Antonio also has a SeaWorld & an amusement park called Fiesta Texas which is pretty awesome.

The USS Lexington is in Corpus Christi - that'd be a fun place to stop.
Great info! Thanks!

Reactions: PRO5OHHO

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
For the family, I would do Mustang Island (North Padre). I've been going there my whole life and it's a good family destination.
Thanks! Sounds good and appropriate. What are the ferries for?

·
Ebola brought me here
194 Posts
Is that better the aquatica at sea world?
IMO yes, Schlitterbahn has more rides. But what makes it special is that most of it is shaded by giant trees. Look up Schlitterbahn New Braunfels Whitewater on YouTube. When I think of the top 5 activities that make me happy, that one's near the top.

Everytime I've been to SeaWorld it was too cold for Aquatica to be open, so I never got to do more there than just look around.

·
Registered
2,680 Posts
I don't know if it's fixed yet.....
But if your headed through West Texas..........
A stop off at Balmorea, swimming hole is a must.............

1 - 20 of 55 Posts